Solid Top Bari best deal

timmit65

Reaction score
I'm looking for, at least, a solid top bari for a recording. One with a pickup is a plus. I'll definitely use a couple of mics, too, but I always record the DI out for an "attack" in the mix.

I've been happy with the Kala all solid tenor with a cedar top for the other uke-centric recording project I've been working on. This would be the most comparable they have today: https://kalabrand.com/collections/all-solid-cedar-top-solid-pau-ferro

I'm hoping to stay in the under $400.00 price. Any recommendations? I've looked at Cordoba, Kala, ect. on YouTube. My end product will be mic'd with a KM-184 or Earthworks and a Ribbon or AT-4040, if it goes like the project I'm doing with the Tenor, and well, none of the YT vids come close that sort of input resolution, and I'm not close enough to any dealers that stock that price range of bari's.

Thanks for any input!

Tim

You might look at handmade in California Kelali ukes made by a member. They are all solid and about that price.

Last edited:
Some of my favourite cost-effective baritones over the years have been Pono from The Ukulele Site.

I've had mahogany, cedar and acacia. Beautiful sounding and project well.

The best baritone I had was a Kamaka.. but that's expanding the budget a bit.

I strummed a Laniki spruce top baritone (Lanikai SPST-B) in a shop here in Australia and couldn't put it down. Huge sound - but not so "guitary".
Needless to say I bought it - even though I was "just looking"

Sounds like this....

For what it is worth, after I bought my Caramel Zebrawood bari, I was at my local shop with had a bunch of bari's so I played some to see just how my $85 baritone compared to a couple of Oscar Shmits a Kala $200 and a used custom King $700 baritone. I must say I found my Caramel was way better thatnteh OS's, at least as good as the Kala and not much worse than the King. I was at that time new to baritones and have damaged hearing but not in the range of Ukulele sonics.

For a solid top, take a look at the Caramel all Solid, Mahogany or Acacia Baritones. They have good reviews and a lot less expensive prices.

Last edited:
A Gianini or better yet a Favilla. May have to install a pickup. I liked my vintage Favilla over my vintage Martin.

I agree with Patrick. About the best sounding baritone I have played in that $400 or less price range is a Favilla.
I've had several Favilla baritones, all sounded very good. Had a decent sounding Silvertone vintage baritone, once as well. It was under $200.
Favilla baritones are not the easiest to find, but do come up for sale periodically on ebay or reverb.

Top Bottom