Some tips that's forgotten

clear

Reaction score
Here're some tips that a player may have known at one point but have forgotten (or just become lazy and start to ingrain bad habits).

I think it might be interesting to have a thread for these little tips.
Post something that you did correct once upon a time but had to be reminded again later.

For me, these were pointed out by my guitar teacher.
1. pluck the strings with your hand over the fingers. I used to do that, but I've gotten lazy and started to play with my fingers extending too far out from under my hand. This is important to get a good tone.

2. don't rush the 8th and 16th notes. I used to count, but have stopped doing that thinking I've internalized the divisions. Well, after a while (and probably playing too many swing 8ths) my internalization isn't all that good anymore. I'll be going back to basics for a while.

3. remember to use the same string when possible (i.e. when little or no change to hand positions); this usually results in more consistent tone.

Please add more!

1. Set a goal, keep the goal small, and finish it.
That's how progress happens. It's much more difficult than it looks like.

2. Focus on quality than quantity.

3. Always use a metronome, or at least be always on rhythm.

4. Be slow. This is related to point 2.

Those points are not specified to Ukulele, they are useful for all instruments.

Learn the whole song, not just the most memorable part of a song. Listening to parts of songs is booooooring and irritating. Learn the chord progression and, if possible learn a solo. Learn two solos to every song if you want to impress people, so long as you can learn the progression and back up others taking a solo.

(1) Remember to always put the uke away in its case and not leave it lying on the couch where the dogs can knock if off.

(2) Put the tuner where I can find it, not on the couch where I’ll almost certainly sit on it.

(3) Don’t just practice the stuff I already know. Practice some difficult stuff every day that will make me stretch a bit.

Edit: (4) Have my nails filed to the desirable length BEFORE I sit down to play. Thus avoiding getting fingernail dust all over the uke.

Edit: (4) Have my nails filed to the desirable length BEFORE I sit down to play. Thus avoiding getting fingernail dust all over the uke.
Hah! Yes!

Don't strangle the fretboard. I find myself reverting to this periodically.

Change your strings regularly (not just when they break), and keep your instrument clean.
Don't leave your tuner attached to the headstock.

1. Set a goal, keep the goal small, and finish it.
That's how progress happens. It's much more difficult than it looks like.
2. Focus on quality than quantity.
3. Always use a metronome, or at least be always on rhythm.
4. Be slow. This is related to point 2.
Those points are not specified to Ukulele, they are useful for all instruments life
Corrected

Last edited:
When ever I change my uke strings I crack a fresh walnut and rub walnut on the fret board allowing a few minutes for the oil to soak in before wiping excess oil off with a soft cloth and fitting new strings. Fret board is usually raw timber and needs nourishment, some people use lemon oil but I find walnut perfect for the job.

When ever I change my uke strings I crack a fresh walnut and rub walnut on the fret board allowing a few minutes for the oil to soak in before wiping excess oil off with a soft cloth and fitting new strings. Fret board is usually raw timber and needs nourishment, some people use lemon oil but I find walnut perfect for the job.
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for chiming in with your approach, that's a really interesting idea!

Tune it right... finish the job and tune the strings to each other after you turn the tuner off... Most electronic tuners are a bit approximate.

You are worth it... tune all the way to greatness!
Great point. I routinely do a quick "check" on the fretboard of each string to make sure they resonate after using a digital tuner, and 9 times out of 10, there's a tweak needed somewhere!

Don't get too caught up in precision and perfection. Play to feel something. Be creative. Be thankful for the opportunity and good health to be able to play a stringed instrument. Including the best of them all, an ukulele.

Top Bottom