Songwriting Prompts for the Ukulele

lovinforkful

This may flop but here goes:

I've been playing the ukulele for about two years, and joined the forum early last year. After not picking the uke up for a couple months, I'm back to playing and have started songwriting. Because I'm new at it and only an intermediate-level player (and I'm being generous), I thought it would be interesting for fellow songwriters to share a prompt for when we get stuck in a rut.

It could be to write a song about a certain topic or using a certain rhyme scheme, or focus on the musical side and be a challenge to use a certain time signature or write a song in an unfamiliar key. Whatever it is, please keep it to one suggestion per post.

Eventually we could have some contests sprouted from ideas in this thread.

Have fun & good luck!

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
It doesn't matter if you are writing for ukulele, guitar, pan flute or kazoo, song writing can be fun. I enjoy it. There are a few web forums that I've found really help me.

The web site Guitar Noise has a Sunday Song Writing Group. The moderator will give an assignment each week for a topic to write about. http://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=23

Members write lyrics and frequently post songs. There is a lot of valuable critique and a little bit of nonsense.

lovinforkful

Nice! The ukulele is the only instrument I play, and as an intermediate player, I just thought this would have been a fun way to challenge myself and others.

RandyBonnette

Last edited: