Soprano for Scout Campfire

TCK

OK, Unplugged, go Ohana Vita. It is nearly as loud as my Baritone and tenor, and louder than my Maybell Banjo Uke. Only thing louder is a Risa...and that is really loud (and AWESOME). Another thing- throw away the book after dark and learn some Tom Lehrer tunes- my guys could do those dusk till dawn when I was SPL, and we always broke up the OA conclave with a big meal and some of them... irreverence and a fire, sheer bliss. George Formby would work as well.
Bless up on your continued work with scouting- I choked reading this post...I had a really rotten experience regarding the adults in our troop weeks before my Eagle Court (planned, but never happened). I was asked to leave the troop when a scout broke his arm at a meeting (hazing I will admit), and even at that young age I wondered how it was my fault as SPL and not the fault of the adults in charge. In any event, my Eagle is a casualty of a threatened law suit, and the impetus for a subsequent 24 year grudge...but my god I wish I could sit around a campfire again and play those old tunes with a bunch of OA newbies who are dead tired. Remember always the reason you are there and the power you hold right?
Jeez- where did that come from?
Off to play my uke :)

smithpaul60

I am also an Eagle and am currently a scout master, I take my uke (concert, but much softer than my soprano) to every camp-out. Most of the time I have it easy, about half of my scouts play some instrument, we usually have my uke and 2 -3 guitars around a campfire. It makes for some awesome campfire times.

Pippin

I would like to be able to lead songs at Boy Scout campfires, but I'm afraid that my soprano might be too quiet and I understand that concerts and tenors are louder.

Is this true?

Will my Lanikai be loud enough (kind of hoping the answer is no so I have more ammunition with which to convince my wife that I need another one)?

What would be the loudest, non-electric, ukulele under say $100 ($200 maybe)?

I know I can lead the slow quiet songs, but I'm also thinking of the more rowdy ones too. Think 100 or more Scouts who shout more than sing.

Ohana's CK-70 is the loudest ukulele in my collection. By the way, my father was an "Explorer Scout" in Scout Troop Number One. Seriously.

Last edited:

Pippin

I am also an Eagle and am currently a scout master, I take my uke (concert, but much softer than my soprano) to every camp-out. Most of the time I have it easy, about half of my scouts play some instrument, we usually have my uke and 2 -3 guitars around a campfire. It makes for some awesome campfire times.

Sounds like a great troop.

Inner Prop

I'd like to stay acoustic. What's special about a "camp" ukulele? I looked up the Flea Camp, but it doesn't look like what I thought a camp uke should be.

Ohana Vita's look really cool. I may have to add that to my list. How durable is it? I'm thinking a Flea would be more hardy still.

Ah, I too have fondest memories of the naughty songs we staff would sing after the official campfire and all the little scouties were off to their campsites. Funny, but they also turned out to be Rugby songs.

That's another use I have for it, playing after the annual alumni Rugby match in Champaign, Illinois.

Last edited:

TCK

I bought my vita so that I could sit at my computer desk and play along with my Itunes when the need struck. It fit the bill as loud and bulletproof. My desk is a wrap-a-round and I can say it has bounced off the sides of it without a scratch and been played at least an hour a day since I got it. The spruce is now showing signs of my fingers bracing against it (this will happen on a flea) but I think it is every bit as durable. I would have bought the flea for the same reason, but I did not really dig the shape of the neck (it is like a "D" rather than the conventional "C"). It is unlike any of my other ukes and I switch around so much I like them to all conform.
Flea camp is not a "camp style", which looks like an Army Mandolin from way back when- it is just a paint job really.
In any event- I think the Ohana is every bit as hardy as a flea, with one reservation...it may not get wet as well. I am not about to test it with my most played Uke.

Inner Prop

News -

I played at the closing campfire for Owasippe's family camp, Reneker a few weeks ago.

I had brought my uke with to camp and all week sat around practicing. For some reason I was - off - if you know what I mean. Maybe it was the way I was sitting or something, but I didn't sound very good and my fingers were acting stupid so, even though I had a lot more practice time, I didn't seem to get any better or memorize much.

My brother came by on Friday at lunch time and told me that he had signed me up to play that night at the campfire. This is rather unusual since the staff of the camp usually does the songs etc. In Reneker they have the kids in age groups led by the staff so the kids will go up as groups and do a skit or song, but it is not common for a parent to lead the whole camp.

In a panic I looked through my book for a song that would be best. My wife said, "America the Beautiful" but I didn't have that memorized and it has about 4 chords. I decided I would do, "A Circle is Round" (it goes, "A circle's round, it has no end, that's how long I want to be your friend..."). It is only 2 chords, G7 and Am. It's supposed to be a round, but the song before mine was a round and I didn't have anyone else to lead the other sections, so I just ran through it a couple of times.

I think it was non-memorable. I mean it wasn't so terrible and it wasn't so great. It just was and then we moved on.

Probably more memorable was my brother and I screaming our heads off for the Bluejay song. That was the other thing about leading my song was that I was almost too hoarse to sing.

Anyway, there were about 75 - 100 people there and I think they all heard pretty well, so I'm fairly comfortable with the volume. The uke was actually louder than I could sing with my damaged throat.

I still think a more durable instrument would be advisable (like more water-proof) so my UAS is still making me itch.