Soprano ukulele actual loudness?

sonnydaxter

Hi, everyone!
Yesterday I purchased my first ukulele on Amazon. It's going to come to me in a few days and I'm really excited!
It's a Kala KA-15S. I'd like to go play it with my friends downtown, but I need some clarification about the actual volume of the instrument.
Does it project well enough to be able to play along with a guitar, a melodica and a snare drum hit with brushes or a cajon?

merlin666

Probably yes if you have solid attack with your right hand. I play in acoustic jams and last weekend 15 people came out including 2 mandolins 2 guitars a pro banjo player and the rest fiddlers and I could hear myself on a concert uke quite well and am pretty sure others could do. If you just strum chords you should be able to stand out over the guitar quite easily. But really depends on technique, don't be timid and dig in.

acmespaceship

Guitars are louder than ukes. Good guitarists control their volume to blend with other instruments in the ensemble. Clueless duffers may need some encouragement to tone it down ;-)

merlin666

Guitars are louder than ukes. Good guitarists control their volume to blend with other instruments in the ensemble. Clueless duffers may need some encouragement to tone it down ;-)
Big size does not necessarily mean that it can be heard as well. Cello is much louder than violin but violin plays solo up front. High frequency of small soprano can easily be heard over bigger guitars.

Voran

Mine is loud enough when I strum it aggressively that I have to strain to project, and I have a pretty Wagnerian upper register.