Sopranos: KoAloha VS. Kamaka

Lideruke

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have an opportunity to buy a new uke and am stuck between a KoAloha and a Kamaka soprano. I have a concert KoAloha that I love dearly. However, I might be better served with something different from a Kamaka. I've never played a Kamaka so I need some help in making this decision.
So you know, I prefer volume. I play in a group of guitarists so I need to be heard. I have 2 cedar top ukes and the KoAloha, which are all pretty loud. Also, I have a koa top uke.
So, please let me know what you think.
Thanks!

PONO - MS or PONO MS-D! My son's MS is retardedly loud for such a small instrument(the sound is soooo rich)!

My son's is very loud compared to Kamaka I have heard. Koaloha>Kamaka in sound...volume, imho. Price Kamaka>Koaloha as well! But in a band using a Soprano will get you drowned out, unless your microphones are louder, or your pick-up/amp setting is louder, just saying.

If its volume you're looking for, seems like a no brainer to me: KoAloha FTW...

Get a pickup and an amp and you won't be struggling for volume all the time. I would get the Kamaka just for variety.

I've never played a Kamaka, but I like how it has more than the 12 frets on the Koaloha.

I've got both a Pono Ms, and koaloha soprano. Koaloha is definitely louder. I've also played it with guitars and have no problem being herd.

My only issue with the koaloha is it only has 12 frets. Otherwise a fantastic uke.

You've really got to play both to be able to decide which one you like better. I think everyone will agree that volume goes to Koaloha. Beyond that, it's personal taste.

I used to have a Koaloha soprano. It was loud and punchy. I miss it. I now own a Kamaka HF1 and I love it! It's a sweet little thing. Wish I could have both!

I have Pono and KoAloha--never played a Kamaka. PeeWee has a point about getting something different than what you already own by getting a Kamaka.

The warranty is better on a Koaloha, however.

Guess I'm not helping you much. What would I do? Buy a Mya Moe.

Last edited:
I think there is no match against a soprano and guitar....if you ask me.... KoAloha is the loudest....however loud is not the only factor to
think about....you can slap on some aquilas on the kamaka and make it sound brighter and louder... depends what your preferences are...
the newer kamaka model are your best bet.... I have a kamaka tiki which is sorta loud and a fantastic sound....

Top Bottom