SOTU 313 Seventh Year Celebration

lelouden

Reaction score
Ok people,

This is the start of the seventh year of the Seasons. It's hard to believe that it is still going and stronger than ever. We welcome new players just about every week so if your thinking about joining in, now is a good time to jump in.

Over on the anticipation thread I came up with an off the top of my head thought while waiting for Fred.

Fred likes the blues.

Using the number seven we have the G note (A-G). Also, we have seven different notes in an octave with one note that is repeated an octave apart. Start with any note and you get back to that same note. Open tuning also starts and ends with that same starting note. So using the idea of sevens:

Here are the rules:
- Hawaii start time (two hours to go)
- Seven song limit of blues.
- Songs in the key of G with regular tuning.
- Open Tunings. This will be fun to play around with for all those that haven't tried it.
Open A- AC#EA
Open B- BD#F#B
Open C- CEGC
Open D- DF#AD
Open E- EG#BE
Open G- GBDG

- Originals welcome!

Comments will be on YT.

Most of you know the drill. I'm off to bed soon. Any questions? Someone will surely know the answer.

Edit to clarify:
you may bring any blues song if you want to honor Fred. He loves the blues. Any Key is fine.
You may bring any song of your choosing in the key of G.
You may bring any song in open tuning, any key. (try it, you'll have fun)
You may bring seven songs
You may bring originals in the spirit of the rules.
You may hate me for this idea!
And lastly, you may break a string so "Strings" will be the prizes for the week:biglaugh:

Sounds like and "Open Season" to me!

Seventh Year Celebration Playlist

Happy Bonus

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I don't quite get it. If I do a blues song in the key of G, am I safe?

Question about open tuning:

Wouldn't you need a different 4th string than normal if you use standard High-g GCEA my-dog-has-fleas tuning? I don't know that 4th string could be tuned that low... well... let me test...

_____ post tuning ___

It works... tune up the first three strings and tune down the 4th. Very interesting sound!

Last edited:
Excellent theme, Linda and many thanks for stepping in.

It will be later in the week before I get anything done. My throat just now is like the inside of some[thing/one] very unpleasant and my voice is like the grumble of a demented dog.

Changing the subject:

You can get open C by tuning the A string down to G - GCEG. You double the fifth instead of the tonic. Similarly with baritone tuning. DGBD to give open G.

Had a thought. I can always do an instrumental. English folk tunes are mostly in G.

I don't understand. If I change the tuning, I presumably have to learn a whole new set of fingerings to play the same tunes. What is the advantage of that?

Ah, but Lumpy, you can play a chord without any fingerings at all. The open strum produces a C chord in Tootlers C-tuning above. Then you can just bar chord with a single finger and do all kinds of neat stuff... This guy explains it pretty well.

So we can either play the blues, a song in G, or a song in open tuning? Or presumably all three at the same time? I like

I was sitting there thinking what I had to sing the blues about. Not much really. Life's pretty good. Maybe an end-of-the-cool-season blues. Winter is over. It's starting to get pretty steamy again here in tropical Myanmar.

Then, POP! The circuit breaker box explodes. Bad electrical smell! No fire, thankfully.

Well, at this moment, I'm sitting in the semi-dark, waiting for the electrician to come back with a new breaker panel. Unlike most of the developed world, renters in Myanmar have to pay for stuff that requires semi-regular replacement... water pumps, breakers, things like that. I was worried it would be expensive, having had to pay thousands to electricians back in the USA.. The electrician is back now... replacing the box for 35000 Kyats... $22.

This is a bit of a "piss take", but with 7 entries, I can waste the first one. Made in the time it took for the electrician to go to the hardware store and back!

I don't understand. If I change the tuning, I presumably have to learn a whole new set of fingerings to play the same tunes. What is the advantage of that?

Well you see back in the day when I played the juke joints
and the whisky was flowing fast and the women were even faster
at the beginning o' the evenin' ma fingers be all co-ordimicated,
but when the booze got the betterin' o' me them there falanges
would not work proper no mo'. So to extrapicate masel' frum that
there situmacation ah would break the neck off a whisky bottle
and slip that there thing over ma coke sniffing finger and play
masel' sum bottleneck blues. Open tuning be for them there times
when yous is drunk and the communimacation beteen the brainbox
and the digits be shot to hell. Simples cos yous just gotta lay that there
bottleneck on them there strings and slide like s** off a hot shovel.

Ah, but Lumpy, you can play a chord without any fingerings at all. The open strum produces a C chord in Tootlers C-tuning above. Then you can just bar chord with a single finger and do all kinds of neat stuff... This guy explains it pretty well.

Thanks for that it sort of made sense. Good video.

So we can either play the blues, a song in G, or a song in open tuning? Or presumably all three at the same time? I like

Oh, it's an either or thing? Well that's okay then. I think I can manage that.

Thanks for that it sort of made sense. Good video.

A few years ago I put together a small tutorial of how to play the Blues
when using Open C7 tuning. With this tuning you get a more blusey sound
and at the 5th fret you get F7 and the 7th fret you get G7. I also showed
how easy it is to do turnarounds when using open C7 tuning. Here is the tutorial
for those of you who might want to experiment.

This one is bluesy, and it's in G.

Joko, you broke the seal! What fun. A whole new world is opening to us duffers.

Hope the power comes back soon.

Linda, what a great idea on the fly for a season! Rob, thanks for reposting your drunk tutorial.

I was sitting there thinking what I had to sing the blues about. Not much really. Life's pretty good. Maybe an end-of-the-cool-season blues. Winter is over. It's starting to get pretty steamy again here in tropical Myanmar.

Then, POP! The circuit breaker box explodes. Bad electrical smell! No fire, thankfully.

Well, at this moment, I'm sitting in the semi-dark, waiting for the electrician to come back with a new breaker panel. Unlike most of the developed world, renters in Myanmar have to pay for stuff that requires semi-regular replacement... water pumps, breakers, things like that. I was worried it would be expensive, having had to pay thousands to electricians back in the USA.. The electrician is back now... replacing the box for 35000 Kyats... $22.

This is a bit of a "piss take", but with 7 entries, I can waste the first one. Made in the time it took for the electrician to go to the hardware store and back!

Top Bottom