SOTU 510 | Friends & Family

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
UU VIP
Hi Arvin! Thanks for hosting! So... what is it that friends do? I gather that one thing they do is stay up late talking and drinking and smoking unlikely things and so on until the police come and spoil their fun and arrest them. At least, that's what happens in this classic from Lindisfarne. Supposedly based on a true story (surely not!).

It was something of an anthem and a big part of their live shows with a lot of audience participation. I can't manage a crowd of revellers at Newcastle City Hall, but I do have The Steamers to add a bit of backing vocals. Also I have a live recording of this where Ray Jackson does about 5 minutes of harmonica improvisation in the middle. Don't worry, I'm not going to do that to you.

The closest I have come to something like this was when, as an undergraduate, a couple of us were up late rewriting the lyrics to "American Pie" based on some events that were happening at the time and the night porter thought we were making too much of a racket. Oops. Sorry. The typical penalty for this was to receive a piece of paper saying "Please don't do that" or words to that effect.

ukudancer

Hello everyone!

Woot! That's a good amount of entries over the past 24 hours. I need to go back and give them all a listen. Getting my booster shot + being in the studio wasn't very conducive for truly giving your songs the attention they deserved last night.

The playlist is updated, so give it a spin!

Side note - I had the strangest dream last night that I dropped one of my ukuleles and a big piece broke off, so I'm pretty happy to find them all whole this morning. :)

ukudancer

Ok! I'm caught up with all the comments and what can I say? What a season so far! I'm so thankful for all your entries so far.

DelGriff

Just a brief interruption to announce that I have just posted the wrap for Season 509 ‘Water, water everywhere…’ and that there are 3 winners! It could be you! :)

Jim Yates

Bob Dylan's Dream - Using the tune from Lady Franklin's Lament, learned from Martin Carthy, Bob wrote this song after an all night hang with Oscar Brown Jr. (Bob calls him "a groovy guy" in the Free Wheelin' liner notes.)

Ruthonthecoast

Hi SOTU friends!
My offering is a recording I made for my best friend’s 65th birthday this past spring. It’s called Friends Like You, written by British Columbia singer/songwriter Jenny Lester who is also a dear friend.

YorkSteve

I'm not a staff member really...
Staff member
UU VIP
Thanks for hosting Arvin. It gives me a reason to do this one, from the children's film franchise which has probably caused the most tears in this house over the years (me included).

wee_ginga_yin

I don't want to blow my own TRUMPET but I write the very best songs.
Believe me... It's true... Okay? The songs I write are so tremendous
that they become the number one song in the Universe... if not the galaxy They are Huuge... everybody sings them... friends sing them. The words are easy to remember... so easy... easy peasy... as the English would say. I give my songs a TEN, and I am not even trying. If you sing along with me we can make songwriting Great again, Believe me. Let's make Ukulele's First. Okay?

pabrizzer

i always wonder how those not 'in the loop' feel about these happy occasions for those of us with family and loved ones to gather with...

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Hi all! Here’s another Thanksgiving song … one predating many of the classic Christmas carols. The abridged edition …

Hurrah for Christopher’s pumpkin pies!

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
UU VIP
Anyone remember John Otway? He had a big punk hit in the 1970s in the UK with "Really Free". Its B-side "Beware of the Flowers ('cos I'm sure they're gonna get you yeah)" sold just as many copies (that's the joke he makes in his live show :)). Since then, he didn't have much success, and eventually restyled himself as "Rock and Roll's Greatest Failure" which made him successful again - as his manager said, "We sent out press releases saying how rubbish he was and suddenly started getting publicity". I can't really do justice to the story in a couple of sentences here, but I was reminded of him a couple of weeks ago when I stumbled on a documentary about him on Netflix. I've seen his live show a few times at the Edinburgh Fringe, and he's great.

Anyway, here's a song of his about a lifelong friendship called "Poetry and Jazz"

I added a harmonica again. Seems I really can't help myself at the minute.

ukudancer

Hello again!

Just took some time to listen to the songs you all brought and unwind after a long day of work. Massive thanks for sharing your talents. I am really digging your originals and covers. Some poignant, some happy and upbeat. Some are more reflective. I wasn't expecting to feel such a range of emotions when I started this season and I love that you all took me in such unexpected journeys.

Anyway, I'm signing off tonight. Planning on early day tomorrow for the big parade (I'll be on the Elf Pets float if you're watching) and then a really long nap. I'll try to catch up with you all tomorrow night.

Thanks everyone!

And if you're reading this and you haven't given the playlist a listen, you really should!

DelGriff

Hi Arvin - thanks so much for hosting! :)

So this isn’t a song about friends or family - it’s a dedication to a close friend who is going through a tough time at the moment. I know this song is special to her.

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP
I was a lonely adolescent. I didn't really have any friends. I was in the RAF (Air Force) from 15 to 18 doing an apprenticeship and I didn't get on with any of the other guys. But I did have one best friend. Who was that? Give this a listen and you'll find out. Oh, and stay till the end to find out how the friendship fared later in my life.

Hope you enjoy this Country version written especially for this season: