SOTU 510 | Friends & Family

ukudancer

Reaction score

Hello everyone! It's Thanksgiving / friendsgiving week in the US...I know we're a month late for our Canadian friends! But anyway, I wanted to celebrate our friends and family this week, so what's a better way to kick things off with The Rembrandts' I'll Be There For You (aka the Friend's theme song).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing what you all come up with.

There is a prize: a used BOSS Micro BR-80 and some patch cables.

Collabs, multitracks and instrumentals are welcome.

Submission dates start on Sunday 12am Hawaii time to Sunday (nov 28th) 11:59pm Hawaii time.

Here's the current playlist as of 11pm EST Nov 24 2021: SOTU 510 | Friends & Family playlist

Last edited:
Wow what a generous (and incredibly useful) prize! I have one that I use for all my multi-tracking. It's an amazing video cassette sized portable studio and it also does other fancy things too, that I have seldom explored!

Great theme too.... I hope someone does Eric Bogle's "Little scraps of paper" - I can't sing that all the way through without weeping.

Thought the Avett Brothers was a good place to find a song. Some "friends" here.
Thanks for hosting young man!

Guitalele paoriginal straight to phone with frogs

All things are solved by walking... the aborigines all went walkabout. The phrase is also cited in The Songlines (1986) by Bruce Chatwin in its first meaning. Chatwin, who "passionately believed that walking constituted the sovereign remedy for every mental travail", Solvitur ambulando is a Latin phrase which means "it is solved by walking" We were all nomads once.

Woot! And we're off. I just got caught up and commented on all the vids and have started on the season's playlist. I'm off to take a look at an A/E Kala in downtown, so I'll be offline for a bit.

I'd love to be surprised with more entries when I come back. I'll see you all real soon.

I once saw Steve Earle take the stage in the redwoods at 11pm and open with “who else would you choose to teach your kids to swear?” There were hoards of kids still running around because, well, Steve Earle in the redwoods…one of the best shows I have ever seen (Emmylou same stage same time tops it).
Sometimes coarse language is needed, I use it, and sometimes the songwriters I most adore do as well. Frank Turner comes to us from the world of punk, but sits poised next to Billy Bragg as one of the great folk artists of our time (check them doing Waterloo Sunset together on YouTube- magical). I love his songs as he writes them straight from the gut, and well, sometimes the world needs a little punk rock. He also likes when we cover his songs! A solid person all around.
All that said, he wrote this and I am going to say a bad word. Some people really don’t like bad words so I figured I would warn you. It is a wonderful song but if you skip it I get it.
Ok- on with the show.

Wow what a generous (and incredibly useful) prize! I have one that I use for all my multi-tracking. It's an amazing video cassette sized portable studio and it also does other fancy things too, that I have seldom explored!

Great theme too.... I hope someone does Eric Bogle's "Little scraps of paper" - I can't sing that all the way through without weeping.

yes what a great prize - i just youtubed it and it is pretty amazing what it can do - thanks for the season ukudancer!

A slideshow of my family... we are marvelous.

your life is your life
don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
be on the watch.
there are ways out.
there is light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
take them.
you can’t beat death but
you can beat death in life, sometimes.
and the more often you learn to do it,
the more light there will be.
your life is your life.
know it while you have it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in you.

-- by Charles Bukowski

Last edited:
Cheers for hosting Ukudancer. Here's my 'lil offering of 'That's Alright Mama' with an attempt at simulating some parts played by Scotty Moore .......

Last edited:
Hi Arvin , really excellent theme and a wonderful prize. This will be my only sub this week for Friends and Family, it’s a song called “My Friend The Sun” , appropriately enough, by the British rock band Family….who I feel I’m not as familiar with as I’d like to be 😊. But is a song I’ve always loved.

Hello, Arvin and thank you for hosting! I vaguely knew the chorus of this VERY old song, but had never heard the verses before ... it fits into the "friendship" category, as seen from a child's viewpoint.

Here's an instrumental arrangement of "In My Life" by the Beatles. Thanks!

...All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new...

SOTU 510 - "My Old Friend The Blues" - Steve Earle (1986). This song closes side one of what I consider to be one the best alt-country records ever made, "Guitar Town". The record topped the Billboard country charts and Earle was nominated for two Grammy awards in 1987. Rolling Stone has listed the album in it's 500 greatest albums of all time.

ALL I REALLY WANT TO DO (is Baby be friends with you) - Robert Zimmerman (AKA Blind Boy Grunt)

Just blow and suck a few chord in between verses and you too can sound like Bob. (All right, he does a bit better than I did, but we both only sucked half of the time.) I did try popping the octave on the word "do", but I just couldn't make it no matter what key I tried.

Last edited:
Top Bottom