SOTU 510 | Friends & Family

Hey Arvin, thanks for hosting! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! A friend recently played this tune at an open mic, and I decided to make a chart and learn it. Coincidentally another friend had been learning it as well, and they sent me some basic rhythm backing tracks. I found a window and put this one together between lunch and leftover dinner :) I hope everyone is doing well ~

Hi Arvin! Thanks for hosting! So... what is it that friends do? I gather that one thing they do is stay up late talking and drinking and smoking unlikely things and so on until the police come and spoil their fun and arrest them. At least, that's what happens in this classic from Lindisfarne. Supposedly based on a true story (surely not!).

It was something of an anthem and a big part of their live shows with a lot of audience participation. I can't manage a crowd of revellers at Newcastle City Hall, but I do have The Steamers to add a bit of backing vocals. Also I have a live recording of this where Ray Jackson does about 5 minutes of harmonica improvisation in the middle. Don't worry, I'm not going to do that to you.

The closest I have come to something like this was when, as an undergraduate, a couple of us were up late rewriting the lyrics to "American Pie" based on some events that were happening at the time and the night porter thought we were making too much of a racket. Oops. Sorry. The typical penalty for this was to receive a piece of paper saying "Please don't do that" or words to that effect.

What a beautiful production you have done here. Love it!

i'll put put forward sisters, Scissor Sisters that is, as my contribution to this week's Friends and Families theme ...

Friends they come and they go. They vanish and they disappear. Sometimes they return before your eyes like dust particles in the sunlight, only to disappear when a cloud blocks the sun.

Song about my sister...Context: she sent me a grey sports bra for my birthday and it seemed like a giant mockery because she lies about me behind my back, goes on about what a broken damaged person I am, whines about times I was disrespectful to her husband when I was a teenager...she omits to add that the reason I was rude to him because at the time, he was telling us all about the time he ate his own poop. While sober. Or bragging about how he could beat me up.

My sisters are both...kind of not all there.

Lyrics:

She crafted for me a grey singlet of battle-hard armor
She left a scale missing where blades can reach down to great vessels

Tongues that bear razors shall not speak with mine
Hands that dig blades into backs shall not embrace with mine
Oh, tongues that bear razors shall not speak with mine

She crafted for me a black blade of enchanted obsidian
She misspoke a word of her spell so its black spine would shatter

Hands that dig blades into backs shall not embrace with mine

Hands that carve eagles in backs shall not embrace with mine

I haven't counted but my impression is the friends are outnumbering family so far, so here's a quick family one. It's a Beatles song about things your mother should know, and it's called "Your Mother Should Know".

By the way, Arvin, the youtube comment eating bug ate your comment on my last submission. It does seem hungrier than usual at the minute. I just say that so that you don't think I deleted it or anything like that!

Instrumental version of "Song About A Friend" (1967) by Vladimir Vysotsky. This song is from a film "Vertical" about mountaineers - "when climbing a mountain, you'll find out who is your true friend".

By the way, Arvin, the youtube comment eating bug ate your comment on my last submission. It does seem hungrier than usual at the minute. I just say that so that you don't think I deleted it or anything like that!
That's happened to me too - i can see Arvin's comments in the notifications but they don't appear under the vid....

Hmm. I don't know what happened. I'll go back and look but I didn't delete any comments, as far as I know...That said I was a little loopy yesterday having woken up at 330am to prep for the big parade.

Hmm. I don't know what happened. I'll go back and look but I didn't delete any comments, as far as I know...That said I was a little loopy yesterday having woken up at 330am to prep for the big parade.
It's not you, it's youtube... it isn't a new bug, but it seems to be doing this more at the moment, to me at least.

It's not you, it's youtube... it isn't a new bug, but it seems to be doing this more at the moment, to me at least.
I get a notification that a comment has arrived but when I click on the notification it says the comment has been removed.

Someone told me that it depends on the browser the comment maker is using. Google doesn't want people using any browser but their own. Try Chrome and see what happens 🥰🤪

Ahoy
I didn't really know what to do that I had not done before for a different season, the only songs I could think of were Father & son by Cat Stevens and then this...

Many scandals in this fellow's (the composer, not the arranger as far as I know) family too, but let's not talk about all that.
I've played a good amount of pieces from this excellent book, and here is yet another tune from Tony Mizen's From Lute to Uke Early Music for Ukulele.
https://www.halleonard.com/product/696570/from-lute-to-uke

Hey all,

I just updated the playlist and my YouTube duties (bug not withstanding). I hope you all had a wonderful week so far. Anyway, we still have a today and tomorrow until the new Season starts off!

Anyways, I'm going to indulge myself and share a work in progress version of Father & Son. I wanted to doubletrack it with my new to me Kala, my keys and possibly my bass, but I ran out of time until I had to go into the studio.

Tomorrow is my first real day off, so I'll be recording this and possibly I Got Friends in Low Places (which I've also been half expecting).

As a side note, I'm loving the diversity in sounds and instruments being used so far! We've had guitaleles, 8 string ukes, ukubass, harmonicas and more! Will someone work in a kalimba or a kazoo? Hahaha! Only time will tell!

Top Bottom