SOTU 529 "WEIGHTS AND MEASURES"

Hello all, and thanks for hosting Val!

I wrote these lyrics after reading your prompt last Saturday. It took some practice on my new baritone, and some editing help from my wife, along with a great suggestion to change the chords for the last verse from her too.

Hope you like it, and thanks for the song!

Game of Inches

"I walked ten thousand miles..." I've been looking for an excuse to learn this one. For some reason, since fall 2019 I've been watching a lot of anime. The first season of the show "Mushi-shi" was one of the few theme songs in English, and it's a great song by a Scottish singer-songwriter named Ally Kerr. "Mushi-shi" is like an 1800s Japanese "X-Files": atmospheric and supernatural, with a lead character who underacts.

I didn't get to shoot this one until this afternoon, so the production value is a bit hurried, sorry. But it was fun.

And a very good Sunday morning to you All ... or whatever it might be in your part of the World. I am assuming that it is, at least, Sunday, or about to be! The sun is shining here and it has become Springlike again. I have forgotten to mention that there will be a small prize for the winner (well, I'm not sure I had chosen it at the beginning of the week.) I'll probably go the same way as Sabine and do a draw, because it is always so exceedingly difficult to choose between all the wonderful entries.
Since yesterday, we have had more splendid contributions from LSamuels (sorry, I don't know your name yet ... we're all very informal here; but it's great to see you joining in), Chris (Justaguest). Pa, Tom and his wife, Cathy, Jim (Uke4ia) and Mark. Mark actually went out on the road to film his video and must now be totally exhausted after all that walking! Looking forward to some more songs today ... it IS Sunday, after all.

I've got a Sunday song for ya, Val. Echo and The Bunnymen! It was sometime around Thursday when I was listening to one of their compilation albums entitled, "Songs To Learn and Sing." This song struck me as appropriate for your season, so I decided to take The Bunnymen up on their offer to learn and sing this song.

And a very good Sunday morning to you All ... or whatever it might be in your part of the World. I am assuming that it is, at least, Sunday, or about to be! The sun is shining here and it has become Springlike again. I have forgotten to mention that there will be a small prize for the winner (well, I'm not sure I had chosen it at the beginning of the week.) I'll probably go the same way as Sabine and do a draw, because it is always so exceedingly difficult to choose between all the wonderful entries.
Since yesterday, we have had more splendid contributions from LSamuels (sorry, I don't know your name yet ... we're all very informal here; but it's great to see you joining in), Chris (Justaguest). Pa, Tom and his wife, Cathy, Jim (Uke4ia) and Mark. Mark actually went out on the road to film his video and must now be totally exhausted after all that walking! Looking forward to some more songs today ... it IS Sunday, after all.
Thank you! The L is for Laurie. Very nice to meet you!

Hello! Not very precise, but two mentions of miles in this one - “all the miles that separate” and “the miles just keep rolling”.

I'm a bit stumped by these maths problems, so I couldn't manage many smiles.
I picked a song from an old musical, Babes in Toyland, and I selected three verses that mention tons, miles, feet and pounds.
The song s called I Can't Do The Sum, and it was published in 1903. The words were written by Glen Mac Donough and the music was composed by Victor Herbert.

Sheet music:
https://levysheetmusic.mse.jhu.edu/sites/default/files/collection-pdfs/levy-074-057.pdf

And with Sabine's bafflingly mathematical contribution, I now declare Season 529 officially closed! Thank you to everyone who has taken part ... we have 52 songs on the Playlist. I'll do a wrap for the Week in the next few days. There WILL be a small prize - some tape measure related fridge magnets (I can't show you yet, because they haven't arrived) - and this will be awarded by means of a draw as I really can't decide from amongst all the splendid entries. Thank you All!

Top Bottom