SOTU 553 International Day Calendar

Ms Bean

A very brief recap of today's seven new submissions, and big thanks to today's entertainers:
World Peace Day got two votes from Joko and Brian (Pabrizzer). Paul offered his support to World Rhinoceros Day. Socks inspired Ylle and Rob on National Legwear Day. Finally, Jim sang us two songs for World Alzheimer's Day, showing off his brand new Leho concert.

There's still time to look for a song and to make it your own. Could there be any new Seasonistas this Season? Or former Seasonistas returning for a song? There are plenty of themes to pick from!

Jim Yates

Thanks to Mark (AKA Mythinformed) for pointing out 'World Letter Writing Day'. His song reminded me of this one that I can recall Liberace singing on a friend's TV (We didn't have one) probably in the fifties.
P.S. I Love You - Gordon Jenkins & Johnny Mercer

Mark Suszko

This was a Dylan song that the Stones did a great cover of, which is how I first heard it. Fits the rules via the "Rivers Week" category. Shot by the Sangamon River near Springfield, IL, a spot that Lincoln once saw while running a flatboat south.

Ms Bean

We're heading into the weekend and today we could listen to four new additions. Thank you so much for listening, joining in in the YouTube comments sections, and of course for submitting new videos!
Jim brought a fine old tune that still appeals in this computer and touchscreen era. Mark took his uke out down to the river to watch it flow. Rob opted for a plea that hopefully will be answered, so that we won't get sick. Growing old is tough. And last bust not least, we had Val sing us a sweet lullaby for World narcolepsy Day!
I'll be back tomorrow somewhere between working on an entry of my own and family time, and maybe some of you will be here too.

DelGriff

Thanks for hosting, Sabine! :)

September 25th is National Psychotherapy Day, and psychotherapists need to read minds to know how best to treat their patients. So I think this one from 1970 kinda fits? Anyway, it’s a beautiful, sad song, which has been known to reduce me to tears, and I’ve been dying to cover it since I heard it again recently. I managed to keep my composure while singing it - but only just! :cry:

mountain goat

hi Sabine and thank you for this week.
an original song for the season
written for "International Car Free Day"

wee_ginga_yin

To sleep—perchance to dream... when a man tosses about on his bed like a door swinging on a hinge... oh the blessedness of a good nights sleep.

… Lay me down gently, lay me down low
I fear I am broken and won't mend I know
There's one thing I ask when the stars light the skies
Who now will sing me lullabies
Oh, who now will sing me lullabies
… In this big world I'm lonely, for I am but small
Oh, angels in heaven, don't you care for me at all
You heard my heart breaking for it rang through the skies
So why won't you sing me lullabies
Oh, why won't you sing me lullabies
… I lay here, I'm weeping for the stars they have come
I lay here not sleeping, now the long night has begun
The man in the moon, oh, he can't help but cry
There's no one to sing me lullabies
Oh, there's no one to sing me lullabies
… So lay me down gently, oh lay me down low
I fear I am broken, I won't mend I know
There's one thing I ask when the stars light the skies
Who now will sing me lullabies
Oh, who now will sing me lullabies??

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP
One of the days this week is International Daughter's Day. As my daughter seems to be in a bad place at the moment, I thought I'd write this song to offer her some advice (which she will no doubt not heed ;) ) from her old hippy dad.

I hope you like it:

Ms Bean

Saturday evening here in the UK, and I've updated the playlist with the last new entry for today. Said playlist gained six songs today, among them two originals. Give them all a listen if you can. Thanks to all our contributors:
Del brought attention to National Psychotherapy Day with a song he recently rediscovered and wanted to cover since then.
Jim is still on a roll, and he brought the river to the season. Also CeeJay was inspired by moving bodies of water.
Jon went car free and wrote an original about hitchhiking. The other original we heard today was by Berni, who wrote a song with wise words for his daughter, as this week was also International Daughter's Day.
Rob sang about lullabies and the comfort we search for in them.

I didn't get the practice in I was hoping for, so hopefully tomorrow will prove more productive in that respect.

Ms Bean

Whilst I'd like to try another one tomorrow morning, I'd better go ahead with this one. (In other words, I don't think I'll have time to shoot the video before 8am, but I'll try.)
Today 25 September is World Dream Day, so this one was a must, I guess.

Beautiful Dreamer is a ballad Stephen Foster wrote possibly in 1862, and which was published in 1964. The song has been used wildly in popular culture, and remains popular today.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautiful_Dreamer

The original sheet music is available at the bottom of this page:
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Beautiful_Dreamer

I hope that Ralph might have a song later tonight, and maybe someone else too?

Last edited:

mythinformed

Thanks Sabine, you reminded me of this beautiful old song that first got me Into playing the ukulele when I heard Joe Brown covering It at the Concert For George.........

Last edited:

Ms Bean

There's still some time for you all to submit new videos. I will comment on Andy and Mark's videos tonight after I get back home.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters

First I missed recording this one on International Celebrate Bisexuality Day, then I missed recording it during the 553rd Season. (Bummed out by my second time missing a Season deadline.)

Still, this Blur song got me thinking bisexual thoughts when I was in my twenties, so I thought it'd be still be nice to play, record, and share a day late.

Thank you, Sabine and all y'all, for a week of mostly-new-holidays-to-me music!