SOTU 553 International Day Calendar

My sincerest apologies for ending the season early. I am sick and feverish, so I was in a haze. Oh well.... I still stand by my decision.
Everybody goes back to school, and the colds come back home.

You've been a trooper, Ila! Thanks for Season 522. I wish you a speedy recovery, and I hope to see you on the 553 playlist!

We're under 12 hours into this season and it's time for a quick recap.
We've got 8 songs on the playlist, with submissions from Charley, Wendy, John (FlatBaroque), Bob, CeeJay, Edwin with two original compositions and Mikkel. We're celebrating pharmacists, rabbits, rivers, pirates, bamboo (!), car free days (and alternatives such as double deckers), and water monitoring undertaken from the bay.

I'm looking forward to discovering new songs tomorrow, International Talk Like A Pirate Day. Thanks for all your entries these first 12 hours!

I guess anything that fits World Dream Day 25 Sept probably could be shoehorned into Narcolepsy Day on 22 Sept. Do Narcoleps dream of Electric sheep or any sheep?
Here's my favourite Gillian Welch song for Dream day...sorry it's a bit long. On guitalele tuned G -g.

Dick Van Dyke performed this in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, thus earning the needed readies to purchase the car. He sang and danced his way, I grunted and sat my way through it......Watched the film again recently,the songs are still fab,the film a little lackuing from childhood memory....I have been to Neuschwanstein...it was still not finished !! But the Bavarians do love King Ludwig who started it !!

Yes! That's the one I was thinking of ... great job, CeeJay!

Thanks for hosting Sabine x Looking through that list just reminds me of what a whacko world we really live In. I've opted for this one because in an age of typed word, abbreviated text and email the personal touch of writing especially letters and cards should be celebrated and maintained 'World Letter Writing Day' ...................

Thanks for hosting Sabine x Looking through that list just reminds me of what a whacko world we really live In. I've opted for this one because in an age of typed word, abbreviated text and email the personal touch of writing especially letters and cards should be celebrated and maintained 'World Letter Writing Day' ...................

You're a rebel, Mark!

I may have confused folks when I linked national days for the whole month of September, because I only want you all to select causes / events / things etc for the dates of this season (18th September - 25th September). So World Letter Writing Day is not accepted this week, since that was in fact on September 1st.
Therefore, I have decided to include it under the guise of National Punctuation Day.
https://happydays365.org/national-punctuation-day/national-punctuation-day-september-24/
Here are more themes:
https://happydays365.org/holidays-important-days-in-september/#september19

On the happydays list I also discovered that today is Butterscotch Pudding Day, and on 20 September there's National Punch Day.
Further events or causes for 21 September are National Miniature Golf Day, and Get Ready Day.

For 22 September the website lists these additional things, and I'll include the links:
National White Chocolate Day

National Doodle Day

Dear Diary Day

American Business Women’s Day

National Ice cream Cone Day

Hobbit Day

National Elephant Appreciation Day

And even more themes:

September 23​

Restless Legs Awareness Day

National Checkers Day

September 24​

National Punctuation Day

National Cherries Jubilee Day

September 25​

National One-hit Wonder Day

National Psychotherapy Day

National Cooking Day

Binge Day

Save Your Photos Day

I mourn the loss of the art of calligraphy , poster writing (and ) drawing , fountain pens and all that the computer has taken.

For World Rivers Day (the 25th) …

I brought out the 1926-30? Vintage Gibson, which has such low action and is so chirpy that I have to baby strum or it’s sheer buzz. Good thing it’s loud!

Great theme, Sabine!

Had to do a "Talk Like A Pirate" one.........What bothers me is the length of time it took
AFTER I had done the video to remove the costume.

Sheesh. I may run away to sea.

My version of the Sailors' Hornpipe.

Time for me to go to bed, but not before I summarise which entries were posted to this thread. Head over to YouTube to give them a listen and some nice words!

The first new one I added was a bonus entry from Ralph, who actually recorded and submitted a video for 522 on the originally overlapping Sunday, so I'm happy to include Joan Osborne's religious musings on this week's playlist.
Overnight John (FlatBaroque) checked in again, this time for Dream Day. Rob was the first one to reurn to River Day, and he was joined by Brian (Pabrizzer) revisiting one of his many originals, Rick, and Graham also opted for a watery connection. There is actually also an International Coastal Cleanup Day, which was the day before yesterday, 17/09/2022.
Mark went for sitting down and writing a letter, and CeeJay honoured today's Talk Like A Pirate Day, although he might be looking for a different costume for next year, since this one was a real bother to take off.

Thank you all for your songs, and keep them coming! Check post #30 for inspiration. National Punch Day is coming up tomorrow, but there's a lot more to choose from.

Once you confirmed that Sep 23 is Restless Legs Awareness Day, this one became low-hanging fruit, of the Half Man Half Biscuit variety.

When you hand your car over to the car park attendant you can have a car free day.

my friend, the parking lot attendant
—he's a dandy
—small moustache
—usually sucking on a cigar
he tends to lean into cars as he
transacts business
first time I met him, he said,
"hey! ya gonna make a
killin'?"
"maybe," I answered.
next meeting it was:
"hey, Ramrod! what's
happening?"
"very little," I told
him.
next time I had my girlfriend with me
and he just grinned.
next time I was alone.
"hey," he asked, "where's the
young chick?"
"I left her at home...."
"Bullshit! I'll bet she dumped you!"
and the next time
he really leaned into the car:
"what's a guy like you doing driving a
BMW! I'll bet you inherited your
money, you didn't get this car with your brains!"
"how'd you guess?" I answered.
that was some weeks ago.
I haven't seen him lately.
feIlow like that, chances
are he just moved on
to better things

What about International Talk Like a Pirate Day, which is held every September 19? Aaaaaargh!

Wikipedia - International Talk Like a Pirate Day

"At least three songs have been written about Talk Like a Pirate Day. Michigan filk musician Tom Smith wrote the original "Talk Like a Pirate Day" song on Talk Like a Pirate Day 2003. Later, inspired by the coincidence that September 19 is Hermione Granger's birthday, Smith wrote "Hey, It's Can( n)on," in which Granger becomes a pirate queen after she discovers that her birthday falls on Talk Like a Pirate Day. Tom Mason and John Baur wrote "Talk Like a Pirate," performed by Tom Mason and the Blue Buccaneers."
(UK radio personality)Danny Baker pointed out a few years back that ITLAP Day should in fairness really be entitled "International Talk Like Robert Newton Day" as it's his OTT performance as Long John Silver in Disney's 1950 production of Treasure Island that everyone imitates when they talk "like a pirate."
IRL, Newton, who was privately educated, spoke using RP. He had quite the life (Robert Newton, an appreciation).
(I've been been travelling, btw: Budapest, Bratislava and Vienna).

Top Bottom