SOTU 565 All Things Miller

Let me just run an evacuation mission to Russia and collect him...

Thanks for the challenging theme Sabine. Here's an old blues from Bo Carter. Known as the master of the single entendre...ie rude songs. I omitted one verse as I deemed it too rude for our genteel forum. In this song he extolls his handyman qualities...including some miller work.

ooof, i thought this might be a popular choice, and i can see York Steve beat me to it! never mind, this thread belongs to Windy Miller and Camberwick Green!

i added a little homemade verse, after the original song

So, along with some of the other unlikely musical ‘talents’ already mentioned here, is the considerably more talented Mrs Mills, who had some significant chart success here in the UK at the same time as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones were strutting their stuff:

Oh, my goodness and gloriosky! First off, I do enjoy stride piano, and she played well, but that documentary... Rick Wakeman playing Stride-style Sweet Georgia Brown???? It hink this is what might be considered a "Bring Me To Church" moment!

I was kind of shocked to roll in tonight and find no Roger Miller. I have come to correct that. Melissa and I were in, shall we say, very different social circles as kids. To the point where in HS, we both went to the same coffee house all the time and never talked to each other until college.
And that only happened because she knew every word to every Roger Miller song ever…Pretty much knew I was going to marry her at that point. This on was written by Roger Miller and the Possum (George Jones). They both do it but it can be hard to find.
Then Buddy Miller (long time guitar for Emmylou Harris) did it on “Poison Love” and KILLED IT.
2 Millers, one tune. Buckle up and be glad it is not Christmas Break yet because I want to play all Roger’s songs.

ooof, i thought this might be a popular choice, and i can see York Steve beat me to it! never mind, this thread belongs to Windy Miller and Camberwick Green!

i added a little homemade verse, after the original song

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw this week’s theme too, you and Steve have done dear old Windy proud!

Well, this one had to be here this week. The version by Ronnie Hilton released in 1965 was a sort of hit, but it’s been a staple, or it was while this particular radio show was still on, of Junior Choice, since then. It was written by Ted Dicks and Myles Rudge, who wrote “novelty” songs like Right Said Fred for the late great Bernard Cribbins. The Ronnie Hilton version has one or two more verses, but in the book I’m using, there are only three verses, so that is what I sang.

We're 36 hours in this season and we have 22 songs on the playlist. Millers, millers, mills and those employed (or residing) there, beer and possibly a cabaret have all inspired the following Seasonistas:
Wendy, Brian (pabrizzer), Joo (with the help of her nephew), Steve, Wim, Ila, Alan, CeeJay (twice), John P, Brian (UkeFoote), Jon D, Lynda, Dave (three songs), John (OneManAndHisUke), StoneyRun (second week in a row!), Jim Y (two songs) and Edwin. Big thanks to all of you!

A couple of songs I was waiting and hoping for, have been submitted, but I don't mind listening to several versions.
I wasn't brave enough to check out Mrs Miller, but I did watch part of the documentary of the British stride piano genious Mrs Mills. Rob embedded a version of WIndmills Of Your Mind, with the performer demonstrating some relentless strumming.

The playlist is up-to-date for now. I hope you'll find time to listen to all the songs and maybe leave a comment. I'll check back in with all of you tomorrow.

As soon as I saw the theme for this week, I knew what I had to write about: my Uncle John. He was a miller and we had some heated debates about... well almost everything.... but especially about flour. He was an advocate for the white flour his mill produced, while I was a defender of the scientific research pointing to the lack of nutrition in it and the superiority of wholemeal bread. Anyway, that forms the background of this portrait of the Uncle I found it hardest to really get on with. The rest of the story I will leave to the song.

Hope you like :

i hope you'll forgive me for going back to Camberwick Green again for this homemade song, but in one especially memorable episode, Windy Miller drinks a little too much of his homemade, rather strong, cider, and falls asleep at work. sounds reasonable enough to me! 🍻 as a cider fan myself, i thought i'd celebrate the eppy in song...

Last edited:
Top Bottom