SOTU 565 All Things Miller

Thanks guys for introducing me to Mrs. Miller…my students will also thank you (that is their Christmas present).
Rhett Miller is the frontman for the Old 97’s, and wrote this about his cat. I thought of it as mine was doing a runner as Melissa came through the door…

Another to go along with Ila's excellent rendition.
My friend Mary, a former member of the Corvallis, Oregon ensemble The Ukes of Hazard, used to blow me away when she played this song.
I figured it is high time I finally learned how to play it.

So, along with some of the other unlikely musical ‘talents’ already mentioned here, is the considerably more talented Mrs Mills, who had some significant chart success here in the UK at the same time as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones were strutting their stuff:

Now I remember her... Fine "Joanna" player. But all my Aunts and Uncles loved her, so, of course, we hated her! 😉

In the tenuous "mill/miller" connection theme that I seem to have got myself on track with ....here is another. Observe :

I posted Moulin Rouge and Ms Bean commented :

" Love the harmonica before the guitalele takes over, but I need your help to get this. I was thinking of something more cancan-esque when I saw the title. Is this tune from the movie or musical? I've never visited the Parisian cabaret, and I would expect the music for the shows more high octane. Or is this a song about another red mill?"

I replied:

" I have no idea, I always thought that it was just the theme tune to the film "Moulin Rouge". I first heard this tune as a lad in Germany in about 1971 on a James Last LP, " Instrumentals Forever" (I think it was track two). So I just played it as that , the theme. I didn't expect a
kind of Spanish Inquisition. 🤣🤣🤣" Thus.

Off to find an answer to the placement of "Where Is Your Heart/ aka The Song From Moulin Rouge !! [edit]

Hah,apparently in the original Moulin Rouge it was called "It's April Again" sung by Muriel Smith dubbing for Zsa Zsa Gabor. Later versions of the lyric, chnging the title to "Where Is Your Heart ? " were down to Andy Williams and Percy Faith and others.

So it has quite a journey !!

Last edited:
This one is a little tenuous, but I've been looking for an excuse to post it for a while. It fits because in the first line it mentions Millgate, which is a street in the town where I live that used to have a Mill on it. The Mill building is still there, but converted into flats now. In fact I nearly moved into it a few years ago, but then I didn't.

I wrote this during FAWM, as some kind of exercise. I took a Bob Dylan song, then wrote new words (but to roughly the same meter) then changed the tune and chords. That's been his approach for decades so I thought if it's good enough for a Nobel Laureate, it's good enough for me. In the description I say which song I started with, but if you want to guess for yourself, consider it a spoiler alert :).

I may have written this, but that doesn't mean I know what it's about. I just thought about a few places in my town then wrote some vaguely rhyming nonsense around them. I think I can extract some meaning from it, mostly by accident, but if you can come up with your own ideas about what it's about, I'd love to know what they are :).

New songs came in late last night, overnight and earlier today. Berni wrote and recorded an original, both Lynda and Brian returned with an original, too. Jon brought us his second song, Dave shared three more songs (I'm very pleased you got to scratch that Roger Miller itch sooooo often this week, and should you change your mind, I'll happily accept them too,) Christopher, like Ila did earlier, opted for Procol Harum, and Rob consolidated one of the songs Dave brought. The playlist now has a respectable number of 31 songs on it, and I'm sure there will be some further entries tomorrow or the day after. So, keep them coming, guys. Thank you all for the continued engagement!

Edit: Edwin has added another one (tyvm), initially inspired by a BD song, but rewritten or customised or something else. I haven't listened yet. It's going on the playlist!

i took the title verse from a traditional Scottish folk song and some words from the poem, 'Mills' by Archie Waugh
and adapted them and the original melody to make this song

Hello, Sabine and thanks for hosting! I have no idea how people will feel about me being here under the circumstances, but the Seasons is so much a part of my life that, even as things are at the moment, I have been missing it ... and recording this yesterday actually made me feel better than I have for a few days. I bring you The Mills Brothers, who I assume qualify for this week ....

Here’s a bit of Glenn Miller I’ve butchered for you. Not least by cutting huge chunks of it out, because difficult bits, but also it’s rather long. And hey, we’ve all got lives right 😂 Anyhow, it’s Moonlight Serenade, kinda..

Thanks very much for hosting, Sabine :)

If I have not miscounted, six more songs came in today, and the tally stands at 38. (Actually 39, but Alan made the Ned Millers conjoined twins.)
The first mentions go to Alan and John, who have now each brought three songs this week. Rob submitted two songs today, one of which a new recording! Val and Victoria shared their talents with us all in their respective video. Rob and Victoria brought the Glenn Miller Orchestra to the party, for which I am absolutely thrilled. Thank you for today's music, and for everyone else for listening and commenting!

See you tomorrow!

Top Bottom