SOTU 575 "SEE THE MUSIC, HEAR THE DANCE"

LimousinLil

Reaction score
Greetings, Dear Seasonistas ... and welcome to Season 575. The title will give you some idea of this week's theme, but you will need to watch the attached video ... not least because it took me simply AGES to make! (And don't forget that, thanks to Ila, we are still celebrating that vital organ, the heart, for the next couple of days.)
PLAYLIST: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHFDjTj2zZYw4vrkZcHdZKtulhqSHo-sW

Last edited:
Fun theme, Val, and an adorable opening video! I could watch that all day. 🐮💃

I do have a mashup of two dance songs on my “back burner” list, so I know what I’ll be doing today.

In the meantime, I will say that the hardest video I ever made was this one where I played the ukulele, sang, and danced all at the same time. I could do any two of them together, but all three at once kinda made my head explode. Not to mention figuring out how to set up the room so you could see all that. But it was worth the effort … I got there eventually, and even taught the dance steps while dancing and playing. I will see if I can dance today’s mashup … it‘s a dance song, after all!

Fun theme, Val, and an adorable opening video! I could watch that all day. 🐮💃

I do have a mashup of two dance songs on my “back burner” list, so I know what I’ll be doing today.

In the meantime, I will say that the hardest video I ever made was this one where I played the ukulele, sang, and danced all at the same time. I could do any two of them together, but all three at once kinda made my head explode. Not to mention figuring out how to set up the room so you could see all that. But it was worth the effort … I got there eventually, and even taught the dance steps while dancing and playing. I will see if I can dance today’s mashup … it‘s a dance song, after all!

Strangely, I think I had you at the back of my mind when I came up with this theme, Wendy .... I must have been remembering that video!

Strangely, I think I had you at the back of my mind when I came up with this theme, Wendy .... I must have been remembering that video!

Well, thank you, Val - it was the perfect theme at the perfect time. I think I first had the idea for this mashup about eight years ago ... so thank you for helping me finally get it off the back burner list!

One night all those years ago at music jam party, "Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats popped into my head when I pulled up the chart for The Drifters' "Save the Last Dance for Me". Immediately the title "Safety Last Dance for Me" got stuck in my head, and I knew I had to do it.

I had no idea how to put the two songs together, I just needed that title in my life! No idea, that is, until tonight....

Featuring the Cricket and Kookaburra Chorus.

And a bonus video:

Two brand new friends stopped by the horse barn where I live this afternoon. I met Chris two weeks ago, when we both arrived early for the weekly trivia game we both play regularly. It’s hard to meet members of other teams once the evening gets underway, so I was happy to have some time to hang out a bit with Chris and some of her teammates.

Today, Chris came for a visit with her friend and fellow teacher Doff (Dorothy), to scoop up some free horse poop for their gardens from the ample and ever growing pile next to the barn. They were a delight, and were totally game to make an impromptu video with me. They even danced! That’s Doff on the right, schooling us all in how to do this theme.

It’s Australia, so “Waltzing Matilda” seemed an appropriate choice.

jimmy-shands.jpg
Here is Richard Thompson's little tribute to Jimmy Shand, star of the Scottish traditional dance scene for many years. He recorded more tracks than the Beatles and Elvis combined.

The Brand New Tennessee Waltz - Jesse Winchester 1969

You can see that I'm startin' a theme here. Peewee King wrote Tennessee waltz in 1946 and 3 years later Jesse Winchester, who was living in Montreal, Quebec, as a draft dodger, wrote The Brand New Tennessee Waltz as a cure for his home-sickness.

I have recorded many versions of this song, but not yet a version on Bariton, so here that is, Patti Smith - Dancing Barefoot.

We play this with the band as it was covered by U2.

View attachment 148569
Here is Richard Thompson's little tribute to Jimmy Shand, star of the Scottish traditional dance scene for many years. He recorded more tracks than the Beatles and Elvis combined.

My father's brother was the leader of the Wick Scottish dance band. He was quite famous for playing Scottish melodies on Hawaiian guitar with a whisky shot glass. He was a contemporary of Sir Jimmy Shand. His son, my cousin, Addie Harper Jr is a multi-instrumentalist.

Good evening - 10.00p.m. here - One & All! Firstly, my apologies ... I didn't realise that I hadn't made the Playlist public ... it IS now. We are off to a splendid start; big thanks to Wendy (and friends), Rob, Brian, Jim, Wim, Steve and Alan. Jim has found an inexhaustible supply of "Tennessee Waltz" songs!

I look forward to more all singing/all dancing videos coming in overnight ... I will see you in the morning!

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting, Val. 🙂

Here’s a song I did a few months back at a Seasons Zoom open mic session, but I don’t think I’ve recorded it for a Season… until now. I know it’s a bit cheesy, but I like it. And it mentions dance twice in the opening lines. I’ve added some synth bass, pads and some vocal harmonies too.

Willie's Tennessee Waltz - Willie P. Bennett

This one was written by a friend of our family, the late Willie P. Bennett. Willie has said, "This isn't the best song I ever wrote," but I like it.
It's written from the point of view of the guy who steals his friend's girl and I did it a couple of months earlier for a Season of Moral Turpitude (I had to look it up.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom