SOTU 575 "SEE THE MUSIC, HEAR THE DANCE"

Dance me to the end of love
IMG_20230224_082039.jpg
Cohen says that this song came from just hearing or reading or knowing that in the death camps, beside the crematoria, in certain of the death camps, a string quartet was pressed into performance while this horror was going on. Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin.

There was also music during a hanging and before the prisoners were sent to the gas chambers or crematoria. An orchestra or a single musician played cheerful melodies to distract the prisoners from what was happening, or the so-called “death tango” was played, which was like an omen for the imminent end.IMG_20230224_111950.jpgLift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove

Raise a tent of shelter now, though every thread is torn

The Feast of Shelters/Tabernacles, the most joyous and the longest of the festivals, was also considered to be the greatest of the feasts.
The book of Leviticus describes it as a symbolic wilderness shelter, commemorating the time God provided for the Israelites in the wilderness they inhabited after they were freed from slavery in Egypt.

Last edited:
STOP PRESS: It has just started snowing here .... SNOWING!!! Good morning (which it obviously isn't!) Dear Seasonistas! Just to say that we are up to 50 videos on the Playlist - thank you All! Berni actually DANCES in his ... well done, that man! Please let me know if I have inadvertently omitted you from said Playlist ... I am doing my very best to keep up. There is another day of terpsichory ahead, so please don't hang up your dancing shoes just yet!

"Le petit cordonnier" (The Little Shoemaker) is a French song from 1954 by Francis Lemarque and Rudi Revil. The most famous English versions were recorded by Petula Clark and The Gaylords. The Estonian version was named "Dancing Shoes":

In the UK just after the war the National Health Service instituted a programme for the benifit of young children which involved the distribution of cod liver oil (did they know about Omega-3 back then) and orange juice (vitamin C). Perhaps they were items for the underprivileged and the people growing up in the slums of glasgow like the Gorbals.
Cod liver oil and orange juice was what a woman who was expecting a baby got, free. That was in the days before Margaret Thatcher became minister of health. She also stopped free distribution of milk to school children and became known as "Thatcher Thatcher the baby's milk snatcher"
This song was made by Hamish Imlach and takes a wry look at the "hard man" from Brigton a predominately protestant area and "Hairy Mary who most likely was a catholic from the Gorbals.
The dialogue between Mary and her "hard man" is what you would encounter at the Denistoun Palais or even the Locarno ballroom or up the Barrowlands and it uses lots of Glasgow slang and consists of Mary rebuffing the protestant "Billy Boy" from Brigton.

Hi again, Val.
I forgot to say how much I like the little dancing cow in your intro video. :--)

Today I found some animations I made a few years ago. I think I used 1 or 2 of them for another song.....but I have lost the recording.
So I made another songlet, and stitched the animations up to make this for your week.

I notice that BODY HAIR is not very appreciated for most DANCE. Most dancers look hairless. So I did a hairy dance.

Hi again, Val.
I forgot to say how much I like the little dancing cow in your intro video. :--)

Today I found some animations I made a few years ago. I think I used 1 or 2 of them for another song.....but I have lost the recording.
So I made another songlet, and stitched the animations up to make this for your week.

I notice that BODY HAIR is not very appreciated for most DANCE. Most dancers look hairless. So I did a hairy dance.

Hi all

I see I missed a Tom Waits season a few weeks ago and that just tells me that I need to become active here again as it does bring me quite a lot of joy to partake in the seasons.

Here is my song this week - I think the song is originally Swedish but I only know it as a song by the Icelandic band Hjálmar

Here is Ég vil fá mér kærustu or I want to get a girlfriend which mentions dancing

"¿Quién será?" by Luis Demetrio and Pablo Beltrán Ruiz isnt about dancing and doesn't fit the Season; however, the lyrics were rewritten in English by Norman Gimbal as "Sway", which is all about dancing.

This is a chord-melody version without lyrics, so it's the parts written by Demetrio and Ruiz, but I ran the English lyrics in my head while playing.

An accident in the recording process meant I had no video of me playing ukulele.
That left me with only dancing.

The Waltz Of The Old Lovers - Laz Slomovits

This is the only song of Laz's that I have ever heard, but I'dlove to hear more. This could be about Maggie and me.

To hear Laz's original and his explanation of how he wrote it, listen to https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=lhF3uyIWW3A
(I put a space between "youtube." and "com")

My apologies toLaz for taking liberties with the melody and chord changes. It was accidental.

Last edited:
Blue Skirt Waltz - Mitchell Parish & Vaclav Blaha

I was a fan of Prairie Home Companion and a group of us used to gather round the radio to listen each week. In his "News From Lake Wobegon" portion, Garrison would often say something like, "We were down at the Chatterbox Cafe where the waitress always has a smile and the Blue Skirt Waltz is still on the juke box."
I must admit that I had no idea what the Blue Skirt Waltz went like, but I was very curious. When I said this to my friend Reg, he told me that it was his mom's favourite song and taught it to me.

Top Bottom