sotu 578 - Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! And Double your Fun.

OK, i'm sorry but i can't seem to leave the originals subtheme alone! at the start of the week i was like, how the heck will i ever put those two words in adjacent lines in a song???! but then ideas for a bit of lyric with them both in, pop into my tiny brain, and then i have to go flesh it out into a song. it's all a bit addictive, just like ukulele itself!

"just for tonight", on bass uke...

make mine a double
i wanna feel alive but i'm so dead inside
i don't want no trouble
i'm just here to get out of the rain
away from the pain
make mine a double
i like this place
i'm looking for a friendly face
looking to forget
give me a dream, a fantasy
set me free
just for tonight
just til the morning light

Joo mentioned a live album that I'd forgotten all about. It was the Pete Seeger/Arlo Guthrie live LP Precious Friend.
When I taught school, we'd always do the title song for Valentine's Day.

PRECIOUS FRIEND - Pete Seeger

Link to the chords I use: Precious Friend

Last edited:
Song limit lifted...I think a couple of this week's heavy lifters the J's...Jim and Joo may be near what was the 5 song limit. So feel free to do another ...maybe Rob was near five too.

Caravan was a British prog-rock band in the '70s. Like a lot of bands, they regroup from time to time, and did a 17-minute version of this epic on 1997's live Canterbury Comes to London. (The original studio version was 23 minutes!) I chopped out another 10 minutes, mostly of organ solos, to do this version.

Hi all.
Almost too late for the season but I just can't seem to find much time for other things than work and family these days.
Here is my rendition of Dylan's 'Baby, Let Me Follow You Down' which was on The 1966 Live Recordings album

No surprise that my favorite live album (which is also a double album on vinyl) is the Clash's From Here to Eternity: Live.

And I heard somewhere that - as provocation to the audience to liven up a little - the Clash often opened their live set with this song.

I chose the option to bring an original with the words 'alive' followed by 'double' in the next line. Del's introduction to the Old Mill in Amsterdam with the resident mice has clearly left an impression. (I'm rather fond of mice, and should I have them in my house, I'd use a humane trap and release them in the fields.)

It's a short songlet rather than a proper song. Perfect for nowaday's tiktok generation.

The mouse sat on the corner.
It watched the miller old.
He'd had it with those rodents.
The mill would soon be sold.

He'd laid the poison carefully,
And now he had to wait,
To see if little Mickey
Would play and eat the bait.

And surely the next morning,
it had gobbled it all up,
but still the mouse was alive.
Double the toxin in the cup!

Thanks everyone for your contributions this week. It was a quiet week only 43 vids. But there was plenTy of memorable submissions. I had a very interrupted week so I was kind pleased for some days when the tumbleweeds rolled past.
Lucky it wasn’t like Randy’s Alphabet week. For those that don’t remember you had to work your way through the alphabet. Several members did 26 songs. I think one even did 52! Randy was a patient and kind man.
Cheers all..onto Sabine’s craziness!

Thanks so much for hosting, great week!

Yeah Randy's alphabet week was so much fun, I don't know if he expected people to try to complete the whole alphabet! but he met that challenge so brilliantly! he certainly was a wonderful guy, and is much missed.

Very open themes, where you can practically bring any song you fancy, do potentially end up bringing in well over 100 songs, and can be quite a challenge to host. Seasons where you have to really put your thinking cap on, and/or carefully select from a limited number of potential songs, obviously end up with with a lot less entries. I think when the seasons first started, it was just one song per person, so I do think about that sort of thing with regard to the problem we have at the moment with a small number of people willing and able to step up and host. I know I used to host quite a lot but just the time factor at the moment is a bit of a problem for me, and I try and think of ways to open up hosting to more people, myself included. obviously hosting lite where you just chuck a theme in and leave everybody to fend for themselves is one option, perhaps also the idea of one song per person officially to go on the thread, and any additional bonus songs maybe going on the island... or we used to have a separate playlist for bonus songs, but of course maintaining the playlists is one of the reasons it can be hard work to host.

The second Sunday can definitely be a tumbleweed day! Some hosts hate that but I have to say I used to quite like it! you can start to put your season to bed on Sunday if it's very quiet! 😴

Thanks everyone for your contributions this week. It was a quiet week only 43 vids. But there was plenTy of memorable submissions. I had a very interrupted week so I was kind pleased for some days when the tumbleweeds rolled past.
Lucky it wasn’t like Randy’s Alphabet week. For those that don’t remember you had to work your way through the alphabet. Several members did 26 songs. I think one even did 52! Randy was a patient and kind man.
Cheers all..onto Sabine’s craziness!
Sorry for not participating, John - struggling with some other stuff right now. And yes - Randy was the best! :)

Thanks for a great week, John!

And what Lynda said - great idea!
(As you all know, if there is no limit, I will not be sorry to post as many as I like!😝)

Well, whoever hosts can set the rules!
perhaps also the idea of one song per person officially to go on the thread, and any additional bonus songs maybe going on the island...

Top Bottom