SOTU 579 That's Crackers!

Crazy Words Crazy Tune, an old one from the 1920s. I first heard this one earlier today, in a Charlotte Pelgen video, and wanted to try it. Still a bit raw, my voice was not fully awake yet, but hopefully will get some toes tappin, as Charlotte did mine.

Last edited:
Does it count if I have the word madness in the lyrics?
You can definitely include 'madness' in the lyrics, but I do expect 'crazy' somewhere too. A possible workaround that I'd accept is a subtitle which has the word in, if it would stand out in the rest of your lyrics.

WASHINGTON AT VALLEY FORGE - Written in 1926 by Jack Yellen & Milton Alger

While most folks are aware that Washington had false teeth made of wood, fewer are aware that he was a ukulele player.
This is a bastardization of the song that Ukecaster John did about an hour and a half ago. His includes some verses and uses somewhat different lyrics. I learned this from the first Jim Kweskin Jug Band LP that I got when I was in high school.

11 new songs were added to this thread today. Thanks to all of you creative people!
Apart from the frosting recipe that UEC shared with us for our graham crackers, all songs had 'crazy' in the title or lyrics. Joo and Edwin wrote crazy originals, and the other crazy entries were submitted by Jim (Uke4ia), Rob, Steve, Joko, John, Jim Y and Wim.

Summer has now officially started here in Durham. We had 12h and 12 min of daylight today. Sunrise was at 6:08am, with first light at 5:32. Sunset was at 18:21 with the last light at 18:57. Our clocks go forward this weekend, so that means that this season will actually end at 11:00 BST or midday CET, because Hawaii does not spring forward!

You can definitely include 'madness' in the lyrics, but I do expect 'crazy' somewhere too. A possible workaround that I'd accept is a subtitle which has the word in, if it would stand out in the rest of your lyrics.
A close call while shopping by Charles Bukowski. The crazy things we might do if we become unhinged.

Pushing my cart through the supermarket
today
the thought passed through my mind
that I could start
knocking cans from the shelves and
also rolls of towels, toilet paper,
silver foil,
I could throw oranges, bananas, tomatoes
through the air, I could take cans of
beer from the refrigerated section and
start gulping them, I could pull up
women's skirts, grab their asses,
I could ram my shopping cart through
the plate-glass window...
then another thought occurred to me:
people generally consider something
before they do it.
I pushed my cart along...
a woman in a checkered skirt was
bending over the pet food section.
I seriously considered grabbing her
ass
but I didn't, I rolled on
by.
I had the items I needed and I rolled
my cart up to the checkout stand.
a lady in a red smock with a nameplate
on
awaited me.
the nameplate indicated her as
"Robin."
Robin looked at me: "how you doing?"
she asked.
"fine," I told her.
and then she began tabulating my
purchases
not in the least knowing that
the fellow standing there before her
had just two minutes ago been
one grab from the
madhouse.

Last edited:
The crazy things we might do if we become unhinged.

....and then she began tabulating my
purchases
not in the least knowing that
the fellow standing there before her
had just two minutes ago been
one grab from the
madhouse.
I will remember to keep my mental recorder turned off during the next trip to Cub Foods.

“Crackers” is a pejorative term for a particular demographic in the USA.
Just sayin…
For some, "crackers" are white Southern boys who drive pick-up trucks with Stars & Bars Confederate flag plates and gun racks. The term was used in the movie In The Heat Of The Night to describe white bigots.

Last edited:
I did this one before, a while back, but this is a new recording for this week. It was a "country" hit for Barbara Mandrell in 1980, but it's not really a country song. It has lots of extended chords that give it a jazzier sound. And it's about crackers--the food kind.

Letting someone eat crackers in your bed is a big deal. Such a sweet song. And so beautifully done, Alan.

Here's another love song from me. It also has crackers in it.
There is a type of crackers I love to eat with black coffee... called sugar crackers, which is just sugar on crackers. Mmmmm.

It (the song) is really simple. So, if you don't watch it I will forgive you. :p
and, LAST SONG FROM ME, I PROMISE!
Thanks for hosting, Sabine.

I've just updated the playlist with today's new songs, brought to us by Brian (pabrizzer with a new original); Alan, who brought the crackers; Chris (cracking production); Jim (uke4ia with a song I've actually heard before); Rob (with some crazy thoughts); and Joo (with an original that is primarily a crazy song with some hidden crackers). Thanks to all of you!

That brings the tally up to a very respectable 39 songs. There is room for more, though. If there are any forum members waiting to join in this week, jump in. The water's just fine!

My narrator remembers here his first long term relationship with a complex older woman. When she terminated the affair and he had cried his eyes out, a good friend said, in the best hippy language of the period: "Man that was one crazy chick!" - I knew one day there'd be a song in that experience and here it is.

Thanks for hosting, Sabine! :)

Here’s some Fine Young Cannibals - ‘crazy’ in the title and the lyrics. There was a time when their album ‘The Raw And The Cooked’ ranked as my favourite of all time. Sadly, I played it to death and got a little bored with it. But I love this song.

Some instrumental and vocal additions here.

Last edited:
Don't you find these AI things terrifying? I know I do. Human creativity forever!
My grandson is playing for the Tennessee Vols at Madison Square Garden against Florida Atlantic Owls tonight and I asked ChatGPT to analyze Florida's style of play and their strategy for winning games, and it came up with the facts that they were a team small in stature but very fast and athletic with good ball handling skills that have many players able to score three pointers from beyond the arc.
The coach of FAU said that he had been studying rugby tactics to combat the aggressive physical style of Tennessee play and some wag photoshopped the heads of the Tennessee team onto the All Blacks doing the haka.
signal-2023-03-23-07-41-54-060.jpg

Top Bottom