SpaceX Inspiration4 Martin ukulele

badhabits

Haven’t seen this mentioned here… a Martin ukulele is going up with next week’s launch, and will be sold as a fundraiser. Maybe they make replicas down the road like the konter. A search will bring up plenty of stories, here's one:

Last edited:

badhabits

Given all the new threads, apparently there is now interest...or another story came out. Gives new meaning to lift off... aside from the headstock sticker!

counsel1

UU VIP
UU VIP
WOW-- I don't mean to appear harsh, but--what a wasted opportunity-- Traveling into space with a custom one-off Martin to be auctioned for charity with a worldwide audience- maybe he could have at least learned/played/rehearsed a recognizable, relevant tune rather than poorly strumming a couple random chords!

rainbow21

WOW-- I don't mean to appear harsh, but--what a wasted opportunity-- Traveling into space with a custom one-off Martin to be auctioned for charity with a worldwide audience- maybe he could have at least learned/played/rehearsed a recognizable, relevant tune rather than poorly strumming a couple random chords!
I suspect he had other priorities than learning to play better. Many of us can attest that a year or two more of playing would not have looked or sounded better or be ready for prime time. But the mission was accomplished as the playing skills will not affect the final amount bid for the item.

counsel1

UU VIP
UU VIP
I suspect he had other priorities than learning to play better. Many of us can attest that a year or two more of playing would not have looked or sounded better or be ready for prime time. But the mission was accomplished as the playing skills will not affect the final amount bid for the item.
Seriously-- how difficult would it have been to learn a quick arrangement of Bowie's Space Oddity? He could have been an instant celebrity instead of propagating the notion that the uke is just an annoying toy--
Just one man's opinion--

TaoCat

Maybe it was stage fright. I've seen people forget arrangements and fumble when theran audience or camera.

donboody

If he were wearing a strap he would have played beautifully

PeteyHoudini

After watching that space video, the actual chords sounding are: B, E, B, F#, B = C, F, C, G, C

Could have stepped up the game, methinks.

I think the uke is tuned a semi-tone lower. Does space do that??? Some of his fingering looks weird too,

Last edited:

kkimura

So what works better in a zero g environment, high g or low G? Or maybe slack key.

Yukio

Stephen Colbert skewered me, you, and everyone here at UU with one thrust. I think every one of us would be THAT PERSON who brings out the ukulele at the party. Or into space.
LOL starting somewhere around the eight minute mark....

PeteyHoudini

Stephen Colbert skewered me, you, and everyone here at UU with one thrust. I think every one of us would be THAT PERSON who brings out the ukulele at the party. Or into space.
LOL starting somewhere around the eight minute mark....
Yikes!

PeteyHoudini

It's funny that we always says zero-gravity but gravity does not go away. This is just weightlessness. There is still gravity. Gravity is everywhere except for many black holes. No idea.