Specs for PhD Strings

rappsy

Reaction score
Does anyone know the specs/diameters for PhD string in both configurations?

Soprano/Concert

Tenor

Both High G.

Thanks.

Does anyone know the specs/diameters for PhD string in both configurations?

Soprano/Concert

Tenor

Both High G.

Thanks.

You could email Ukulele Creations or U-Space for an answer. Hope that helps.

Lenny,

Without the actual measurements, I can tell you that PHD strings have the smallest diameter of any string I have ever used.
And perhaps the best "under the finger" feel of any string I have tried as well.

I searched long and hard on the internet for information on PHD strings but to no avail.
So weird, I cannot find anything about their diameter. Not even on the packaging.

I was curious before you posted this, now I want to find the answer.

Here you go Lenny G C E A sizes as follows

Phd concert/soprano : .0210, .0275, .025 .020

Phd tenor.....................: .0215, .0285, .026, .021

Oasis brights are........: .0215, .030, .0255, .0205

Hey Johnson:

I have an email into Daniel Ho. We'll see if he answers. I also went onto the Ukulele Creations site and Jason Arimota's own site (the creator of the strings), and there is no email on there to write him. I don't know why they won't publish the specs.

How do you think they compare to the Worth or Oasis or Living Waters? Are all 4 of the strings smaller than any other? How is the projection and sustain, realizing of course that different Ukes will answer this question differently?

Thanks.

I posted my previous message this the same minute Dave answered. Thanks Dave. Where did you find the info?

Hey Johnson:

How do you think they compare to the Worth or Oasis or Living Waters? Are all 4 of the strings smaller than any other? How is the projection and sustain, realizing of course that different Ukes will answer this question differently?

Thanks.

I like them better than the Worth brown low g, oasis warm low g, and living water low g string sets. I have tried PHD strings on two different Pono (mango and mahogany tenors) and both sounded much better all around with the PHD.
They are quick to settle and stay in tune with very good response.
Highly recommended.

Dave,
This is great.
Do you have access to a PHD low G tenor string?
If so, would you mind giving me the measurement.
Thanks.

Unfortunately I only have the reentrant sets on hand. But maybe someone else will see this that has the low G and measure that string for you.

Here you go Lenny G C E A sizes as follows

Phd concert/soprano : .0210, .0275, .025 .020

Phd tenor.....................: .0215, .0285, .026, .021

Oasis brights are........: .0215, .030, .0255, .0205

I got slightly larger diameters on my tenor strings. I used a digital caliper, but depending on where you measure it varied. Most strings are that way though, except for rectified strings, which are very consistent the length of the string. Really nice strings though.

I got slightly larger diameters on my tenor strings. I used a digital caliper, but depending on where you measure it varied. Most strings are that way though, except for rectified strings, which are very consistent the length of the string. Really nice strings though.

Yea that is always the danger of string measurement if we are concerned with .0001 tolerance. I measured them on the instrument so they are stretched out a bit
Thicker at the saddle then at the 12th fret.

Top Bottom