Steel strings on a tenor as a cavaquinho substitute?

malarz

Reaction score
Can an Ohana TK-80 be strung with steel strings? Any reason not to? What problems would I have if putting on steel strings?

My idea is to re-tune to DGBD, cavaquinho tuning, for Brazilian tunes.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Don't do it. You can get DGBD tuning with nylon strings e.g. strings 2-5 from a classical set for starters

I have tried steel strings on a non-truss rod tenor tuned to DGBE (baritone). I used a tension calculator before I tried it, and the lightest strings to keep the tension low enough.

The result was not very good tone wise. To achieve a good sound with steel strings the tension needs to be higher than what the instrument can support, as others have stated.

John

I will also point out that the low D is on the second fret of the C string.
A high D is on the fifth fret of the A string.
I don't know if you can get such a thin (high) D string for a tenor ukulele. It might be better to try it on a soprano ukulele.

I play a Cavaquinho Portugues and it's as big as a soprano ukulele.

Thanks for all of your responses and advice. I’ll check for a truss rod but maybe better just to put that idea to rest. I might try nylon strings in that tuning. No chance I can afford another instrumen.

I will also point out that the low D is on the second fret of the C string.
A high D is on the fifth fret of the A string.
I don't know if you can get such a thin (high) D string for a tenor ukulele. It might be better to try it on a soprano ukulele.

I play a Cavaquinho Portugues and it's as big as a soprano ukulele.

My suggestion is an octave lower D3 G3 B3 D4 - very close to standard baritone tuning but can be done on tenor scale.

If you wanted D4 G4 B4 D5, then I agree soprano scale would be more appropriate. Even then, you'll need a thinner-than-usual 1st string to get up to the D5.

My suggestion is an octave lower D3 G3 B3 D4 - very close to standard baritone tuning but can be done on tenor scale.

If you wanted D4 G4 B4 D5, then I agree soprano scale would be more appropriate. Even then, you'll need a thinner-than-usual 1st string to get up to the D5.
Thanks for that suggestion. Any recommendations on which strings or string sets to buy to follow your advice for D3 G3 B3 D4 tuning?

Thanks for that suggestion. Any recommendations on which strings or string sets to buy to follow your advice for D3 G3 B3 D4 tuning?
Any normal tension classical set should get you in the ballpark. Here are a few I've used on guitalele:

Any normal tension classical set should get you in the ballpark. Here are a few I've used on guitalele:
Thanks for your help.

The other consideration is the tension placed upon the bridge. A friend put steel strings on a tenor and it pulled the bridge off after a few days.
Tension on a sop will be less.

The other consideration is the tension placed upon the bridge. A friend put steel strings on a tenor and it pulled the bridge off after a few days.
Tension on a sop will be less.
This is what I was thinking. I think that the bridge would pull off long before the neck. Anyway, bottom line, ukuleles are not made for steel strings.

Top Bottom