Stinky toxic uke cases

I had one case (not Kala or uke crazy, but i couldn’t tell the brand). I spent over a year trying everything to get rid of the horrible smell. Left outside, left open, baking soda, cedar blocks, febreeze everything! You name it, I tried it.
finally just gave the case away.

the last step was maybe to rip out all the padding and put new padding in,

My Kamaka and Oahu branded hardcase never had any bad smell when new.

I've also bought a few very cheap Glarry hardcases that smelled strongly of chemicals when new. However, after airing them in the garage for a couple of weeks, there's no more smell.
Mine was a Glarry too and it stinks to high heaven. Only got it because it was a mandolin case that fit my banjo uke with a 10" pot. Ended up buying a gig bag. Have to reset the bridge every time I take it out.

I bought a case on line (can’t remember the brand) that stunk so badly I was getting nauseous. I called to return it and they said just keep it and gave me a refund. 🤢

I recently (within the last year) purchased an Oahu case that smelled so heavily of toxic chemical. I emailed TUS/HMS and they let me know that it was the strap (I never took it out of the accessory pocket). I removed the strap and put some essential oils (frankincense and orange) on dryer sheets and shut them in the case for two weeks. I can still faintly smell the glue, but it is a lot better.

I think the seller was aware of the odor in my smelly case when I bought it off Ebay. When I received it it had two 3"x3" desiccant packets in it. I left it open to air out both indoors and out for 2-3 days and it still stunk. I asked the seller for a return and a refund and they ended up just refunding my money and told me I could keep it. I left it outdoors and in the sun for several days and left it open in front of a fan for hours at a time. I covered the interior with baking soda and let it sit for a few days and then vacuumed it out. All that made a noticeable difference but didn't totally eliminate the smell. It's been a couple years and it isn't as smelly but there is still a slight funk there if you get your nose kinda close. Maybe the Irish Spring soap thing will help. I was thinking of trying coffee grounds as well if I needed another option.

Top Bottom