Strap Pros and Cons?

Bluesy

UU VIP
UU VIP
I am a fan of the Uke Leash and have one on all three of my ukes. For each of my two concerts, I bought a leash one size up (as Uke Leash creator Lori Apthorp recommends) so I could wrap the bottom end around the midsection of the uke instead of around my picking/strumming arm.
Such a great idea for an alternate uke leash config. Thanks for the suggestion. Always looking for new ways to do things,

Bluesy.

Wiggy

Here's my 4 cents as to why.

1. So I can't drop it.

2. Frees up both hands so I can write down an idea or 'realization' before I forget it. Also, to get up and walk around.

3. It significantly lessens wrist pain in my chording/fretting hand.

4. A strap allows me to 'position' each (Sop, Ten, Bari, U-bass) uke's shape to be the easiest to play. I put each on, and my hands fall into place.

I’m not against them at all and I definitely agree with the idea of doing whatever you’re comfortable with, but I personally have no trouble playing a ukulele (any of the 3 main sizes, I’ve never played a baritone) while standing. They’re so light that I see no need. I kinda assumed someone like Jake uses one because he’s an animated performer not because he needs one to play better.

emba

I don’t play standing often, but I use a strap whenever I play with the bluegrass group. Sometimes I use one at home, sometimes not. It’s mostly so I don’t drop my uke in a moment of absent mindedness or clumsiness, especially in the group, which plays in a room with an uncarpeted floor.