Strap Pros and Cons?

I have no idea why that would be the case? Using a strap or not shouldn't impact your rate of improvement.
We certainly don't hear in the guitar community that straps hinder development.

Craig and Sarah speak to how properly holding the uke is beneficial. So I think you'll improve more quickly if you can hold it correctly, with or without a strap, but not using a strap will help you hold it correctly.

Was looking to order a higher end uke and wondering if I should have them put in the strap button on ordering.

If you've been fine without a strap, then why bother with it now?
Putting a strap button that you don't need will only decrease your uke's resale value (at best, it'll just maintain the same value).

I've tried a strap and didn't like it. The strap took away too much of what I like about the uke. I really like the uke's size and spontaneity (it's grab and go fun). A strap adds an unnecessary step for the uke.

.........your technique will improve more quickly if you learn to play without a strap.
Oh rubbish. Your ability to play without a strap will improve if you play without a strap, but that's about it.

I debated on this for a while, and I now order all my ukes, except soprano, with either one or two strap buttons. That way if I need a strap they're there. I'd rather the merchant do the work, and absorb any risks (though admittedly minimal), than to do it myself or take it to a shop afterwards. I don't feel that a strap button devalues a uke at all, in fact it's a plus to me. The only thing is you'll lose a little percentage of your purchase price if you should decide to return it (unless it's defective).

the button(s) might not affect resale value, but it might reduce the pool of buyers a little, i.e., people that don't use a strap and/or detest button(s) might not consider it. who knows how many of those there are...

will all stores allow a return with a small "customization" like that?

Craig and Sarah speak to how properly holding the uke is beneficial. So I think you'll improve more quickly if you can hold it correctly, with or without a strap, but not using a strap will help you hold it correctly.

This is a really great video for anyone to watch, strap or not. And I love the advice about only pressing on the strings as hard as necessary, but no more. But try as I might I just can't get comfortable doing barre chords without using my thumb! It seems to take an insane amount of pressure against the body of the uke. Oh well.

My first really pricey instrument that I hesitated to put a strap button on was a $3000 Kanile'a. I bought it without one, but then I took it to a uke shop and we matched up a nice snakewood button that blends really well with the koa and is very unobtrusive. I got my Cocobolos with these, and I liked the looks. You can opt for just 1 button on the bottom bout, with the intention of tieing at the headstock. I'm over the buttonphobia now, and just get them installed on all my ukes. The uke is a working instrument afterall, and should be utilized how you need it. I'm fine with no strap sitting down, but since I play tenors I wanted to be able to utilize a strap if playing out.

the button(s) might not affect resale value, but it might reduce the pool of buyers a little, i.e., people that don't use a strap and/or detest button(s) might not consider it. who knows how many of those there are...

will all stores allow a return with a small "customization" like that?
Some sellers tell you up front, that adding strap buttons (or a pickup) will reduce the return value by 10%.

It does not reduce resale value. But some buyers don't like them and won't consider a uke with them. I personally, am more attracted to a uke that already has them. But I have no problem adding them myself.

I was sitting in a rocking chair with my custom uke. I was drinking some whisky and working out a harmonic minor progression that I had in my mind. It was late and I lulled myself to sleep with my dulcet playing. When I awoke, the uke was where I left it: strapped to me. Without a strap, that uke probably would have hit the floor.

Jake uses a strap. James does not. I never play strapless, even sitting. The narrower the strap, the better. Those wide straps can irritate, they're for banjos.

I always use a strap, but that's what works for me. For me, it's easier to hold. And if it's good enough for Jake, I'll take that as an excuse to use a strap. :) Not that I use the same type of strap, though.

I've never had any problem reselling a ukulele that had a strap button installed. Maybe I've just been lucky, but during my UAS phase, when I was trying to figure out what size ukulele, what neck, and so on worked best for me, I sold several ukuleles.

I actually find it a bonus when someone is selling a ukulele and it already has a strap button. But, of course, if you don't like straps, you'd at best be neutral about that, and maybe it would steer you away from the ukulele.

Slightly sideways from topic, does anyone else get frustrated at the 'button' created by the MiSi Acoustic Trio Air pickup? I love that pickup, but it just isn't as good as it should be as a strap button - it doesn't project quite far enough away from the uke!

Ben

All my ukes have strap buttons but I never use a strap noodling around or playing/practicing at home. That said, I always use a strap while placing with ukulele clubs or performing.
One other thing to consider when buying a new uke is if you want vendor's professional do the install or if you want to take the chance of messing up a strap button install yourself after the sale.

I have a strap on everyone of my ukuleles, it helps me play better.

I love all the “it’s a crutch, it’s non-traditional, it’s for beginner, learn how to play without one” arguments!!! The three best ukulele players in the world, Jake, Daniel Ho and James Hill all use a strap. Anybody wanna criticize them
Everybody should be able to do whatever makes playing more pleasurable for them. With or without a strap its all good.

Whether or not you enjoy playing with a strap is one thing, but there are no cons to playing with a strap. The only reason to use a strap would be to hold the ukulele up. If your aim is to hold it up without using just your arms, using a strap will accomplish that. That's kind of the end of the story. Some people will whine about how youre a lesser player or some nonsense, but that has little do with reality. Give me a great player using a strap over a mediocre player without a strap any day. It Will be clear who the lesser player is in that scenario, and the scales do not tip in favor of the mediocre player simply because they had the courage and authenticity to forgo a strap.

I like my straps, but probably won't put one on the 80+ year old baritone ukulele I just acquired as it doesn't have strap buttons. I am not going to install them because I am keeping original. Of course the naysayers about the straps are going to tell me that a baritone isn't a real ukulele anyway...

Strap or no strap, play your own uke........

Two of mine have straps......two of mine do not......

Most of my playing is in a seated position. I pretty much only use the concert uke with the strap on. As with the tenor the strap does not fit attached in the case so at home I don't strap it on.

Top Bottom