String buzz

emba

Reaction score
I recently changed the strings on my Ohana concert to Aquila Reds. While I was at it, I changed it to low G. Because I like to have options and was afraid I wouldn’t like it as a low G , I bought a complete reentrant set and a separate low G string.

I followed the instructions carefully, but still three days later my A string spontaneously snapped in the night. I saved the old strings, and was about to replace it with the old A string ( whatever stock string Ohana uses) when I realized I had the Red re-entrant G string. I like things to match, so I strung it up in place of the A string. They seemed so close in diameter I hoped it would work.

I’ve been slowly bringing it up to tune for a couple of days, hoping to avoid snapping it. I love the sound of the Reds but won’t be using them again I think. This is for the birds. Anyway, I finally get it up to tune with the string on top of the nut, as the video shows. It sounds fine. I slide it over into the notch, and now it has a high pitched buzz-whine when played open that I can’t stand. If I play a chord that frets the string, it sounds fine.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this and how it can be fixed? Is it just that G strings are not meant to be used as A strings?

Last edited:
Were the Ohana stock strings of similar diameter? If they were much thinner then the nut slots might be too narrow which can cause both a buzz and string breakage. Some dressing of the nut might help.

Were the Ohana stock strings of similar diameter? If they were much thinner then the nut slots might be too narrow which can cause both a buzz and string breakage. Some dressing of the nut might help.

If they were very different I didn’t notice, and since now one set is under tension and one isn’t I don’t know if I can really say for sure. Are special tools needed to dress the nut slots?

Last edited:
Top Bottom