String for different size ukes

Squirrel40

Reaction score
I am getting ready to order some strings. Is there a difference in strings for tenors than concerts? Is it just length or is there other differences? Thanks for any help.

Typically the strings for different size instruments are a slightly different diameter, although that is not always the case. The size designation is a good place to start, but if you are looking for a different sound, feel or tension you might try different size sets.

The better sets have different diameters to reflect different tensions preferred for different uke sizes. I would stay clear of strings that use the one size fits all approach. The really good sets list the actual thickness and tension for each string at given scale length for objective comparison. Picking thicker or thinner strings or louder or quieter strings is then a matter of personal preference.

The uke I want strings for is a 16" scale so its in between. I would like to get a little more volume if possible. I think the strings are nylon and I like the fluorocarbons on my Anuenue better (Martin M600 I was told).

The uke I want strings for is a 16" scale so its in between. I would like to get a little more volume if possible. I think the strings are nylon and I like the fluorocarbons on my Anuenue better (Martin M600 I was told).
16 would be a concert and the Martin likely be a pretty good choice. I use d'addario concert fluorocarbon and they are very nice as well.

The better sets have different diameters to reflect different tensions preferred for different uke sizes. I would stay clear of strings that use the one size fits all approach.
Both Worth and Oasis are packaged for soprano, concert, and tenor, and they are by no means inferior. I’ve used both brands on all three sized ukes. As have many players. As Ukecaster said, you get two sets in a package.

You are correct... a 16 inch scale is more akin to a "long neck concert" as standard concert is 15" and tenor 17". Concert set of strings would give you lighter tension (less pressing, especially if you have hand problems like arthritis) and a tenor set more tension and likely a bit more volume and sustain.

Without knowing who told you they were Martins, aNueNue also makes a black string. So if you purchased new, these may be it. They are not well distributed, but are available for purchase. I believe I ordered mine from a store in England (SUS or World of Ukes).

Both Worth and Oasis are packaged for soprano, concert, and tenor, and they are by no means inferior. I’ve used both brands on all three sized ukes. As have many players. As Ukecaster said, you get two sets in a package.
Worth offer separate sets for tenors but their Medium sets are for both sopranos and concerts.

A 16 inch scale is closer to a concert scale which is typically between 15 and 15.5 inches where as a tenor scale is typically 17 inches. I have a Cocobolo concert uke which is also 16 inches in scale and Worth BMs (Brown Mediums) work very well on it, as would the equivalent clear fluorocarbon variant (Worth CM). I would personally try any concert fluorocarbon set you prefer, be it Martin or Worth or Oasis or Uke Logic (it's always nice to try some different brands), and then if you think the tension is a bit too slack you can try a tenor set instead.

A friend who is a brilliant player, uses Worth Brown strings, and told me that he always uses Tenor strings on every size he owns,which are mainly soprano; the difference in diameter and tension is negligible, and I have done the same thing for many years now with no ill effects on any of my instruments.

A friend who is a brilliant player, uses Worth Brown strings, and told me that he always uses Tenor strings on every size he owns,which are mainly soprano; the difference in diameter and tension is negligible, and I have done the same thing for many years now with no ill effects on any of my instruments.
That's some decent info. Indeed the difference in gauges is often quite small, particularly with strings with higher density such as fluorocarbon, so using any string set with any standard scale length is probably fine. That being said, I've always wondered whether the actual density of the string varies between soprano, concert, tenor etc. sets when regarding the same string/brand. My assumption would be no but I have no actual proof. If you consider string sets that are designed specifically for different tensions (for example, Worth light or hard string sets) then in that case I assume that string density does actually vary.

I am getting ready to order some strings. Is there a difference in strings for tenors than concerts? Is it just length or is there other differences? Thanks for any help.
There are two principles to keep in mind:

1. At a given tension he longer the string, the lower the pitch
2. At a given length, the heavier the string the lower the pitch.

This is why Southcoast Strings (RIP) sold ”Medium” sets that were mid-tension in C on a Concert, but similarly mid-tension” on Bb or A on a tenor.

I play Renn guitar repertoire on a Bari, roughly the size of the Renn 4-course guitar, tuned to “Low G.” Those strings are Quite light Indeed.

I use Seaguar Red on different scales: soprano (D tuning), concert and tenor scale in 30 (A), 40 (G), 50 (E) and 60 lb (C), and 80lb for low G on my tenor. Works well for me.

What uke is it with that scale? I have an Ono concert that’s 16” scale and it’s not only one of my all-time favorites, it’s quite loud with Worth brown strings.

That's some decent info. Indeed the difference in gauges is often quite small, particularly with strings with higher density such as fluorocarbon, so using any string set with any standard scale length is probably fine. That being said, I've always wondered whether the actual density of the string varies between soprano, concert, tenor etc. sets when regarding the same string/brand. My assumption would be no but I have no actual proof. If you consider string sets that are designed specifically for different tensions (for example, Worth light or hard string sets) then in that case I assume that string density does actually vary.
No fluorocarbon strings all have the same density but can have different tensile strength reflecting the original purpose they were made for. Some brands claim to have "high density" strings but that may just be marketing spoo as they usually don't provide any useful information to go along with those statements.

What uke is it with that scale? I have an Ono concert that’s 16” scale and it’s not only one of my all-time favorites, it’s quite loud with Worth brown strings.
It is a Loprinzi Custom I ordered because I didnt know if I wanted a concert or tenor at the time so went in between. I am going to try a set of the Worths. Is there much difference between the brown and clears?

It is a Loprinzi Custom I ordered because I didnt know if I wanted a concert or tenor at the time so went in between. I am going to try a set of the Worths. Is there much difference between the brown and clears?
Worth brown seem to be a little less crisp sounding with somewhat fewer high frequency in the tone, where the brown seem to emphasize a little more warmth. The difference is very subtle, so it is not a night and day kind of difference.

Worth brown seem to be a little less crisp sounding with somewhat fewer high frequency in the tone, where the brown seem to emphasize a little more warmth. The difference is very subtle, so it is not a night and day kind of difference.
I find that if I change way of playing it has a much bigger impact than string subtleties. What troubles me is that many string brands or also individuals tend to use the wrong ends of sound spectrum by contrasting "warm" vs "bright" when the warm strings sometimes are just a bit thicker. I like to accomplish a sound that is both crisp and warm and really need at least two sound categories to describe. For example one could be warm vs harsh, and the other bright vs dull.

Yes, it is always a bit imperfect to try to describe these things and it can vary quite a bit depending on ones playing technique and style.

Top Bottom