String ties...

rustydusty

Reaction score
Just finished putting a new set of "Aquila Lava" strings on my Clearwater baritone, and decided to try a set of "Diamond Rosette string ties. So far so good. Easy to install, supposed to reduce string stretch, and with a sharper string angle over the saddle, improves dynamics with the sound board. Still breaking in the strings so we shall see. Anybody else using these?20210723_162107.jpg20210723_162036.jpg

Had not heard of these before. Will be interested to see what you think once settled. Are they as easy or easier than tying a "knot" on the bridge?

I recall that some have tried beads. Can anyone chime in on whether this enhances the sound (cuz of bridge angle - I notice with the knots it pulls and decreases this angle)?

I would say "as easy" as tying a knot. It's not hard tying the knots, but I like the look better. Lots to stretch in the bridge knots...

They work as advertised. Good to use if you have a bridge that’s gotten carved up from too many string changes.

I like the look and the idea of adding ease to the string change but they're kind of pricey for what they are.

I like the look too, going to order some of the Diamond Rosette string ties. I've used beads a few times, which I do when I have to change strings. Here's an all bamboo that needed some sprucing up with black accents, I added strings, fret markers, nut and saddle, strap buttons and string beads.

Aklot bamboo cutaway.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Day 2... strings are getting settled in with between 1/2 and 1/4 turn on the tuners to pitch. I agree that these things are pricey, could be easy to lose, but they do give you 5. They also sent me "guitar lubricant" instead of the string ties I ordered. When I went to return it, they told me to keep it instead, and sent me the ties. In all my years of guitar playing I've never used a lubricant, but thought why not and used it on the tuners, nut and saddle. Who knows if it will make a difference...20210724_130013.jpg

I'm just wondering, why would we use string ties at all since it seem to add more weight than just twisting the strings?

I know changing strings may be a pain, but it doesn't happen too often. Is saving a few seconds worth the extra weight and bad looks with the string ties?

I think I am going to order a set for my Martin 1T IZ. The cheap, unfinished Rosewood used on the bridge has a very loose grain, and came, brand new, with compression grooves from the strings already sunk into the wood. Ridiculous for a $1600 instrument!

I put a section of Low-G string to take some of the pressure, but this might avoid the problem.

The unfinished, raw wood bridge on the dark mahogany uke is quite ugly. And looks like something you'd find on a badly-made $30 Chinese "beginner" uke. I used some fretboard conditioner on the bridge to darken it somewhat. The grooves were there before I did so.

Bridge Grooves 150dpi.jpg

I changed the strings 2 weeks after I picked up the uke from the dealer that got the instrument directly from Martin in PA. The bridge looked awful and very dry, so I applied a light amount of Music Nomad F-One fretboard oil. Which darkened the wood for a while. Photos shows the grooves in the wood before I installed a set of Fremont Black Line Low-G strings.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering, why would we use string ties at all since it seem to add more weight than just twisting the strings?

I know changing strings may be a pain, but it doesn't happen too often. Is saving a few seconds worth the extra weight and bad looks with the string ties?

The weight is so minimal, I think I'll be okay. After all, it's still lighter than my Gibson Les Paul... and it's not about saving a few seconds, I like the way they look!

I've used it on my Kala Elite's nut because I was having a hard time keeping it in tune. These have closed tuners, so couldn't use it there. It didn't hurt, but it didn't solve the issue either. In the end, it just needed new strings, so I'm kind of neutral about the lubricant.

Bluesy.

Day 2... strings are getting settled in with between 1/2 and 1/4 turn on the tuners to pitch. I agree that these things are pricey, could be easy to lose, but they do give you 5.

Would the string ties for guitar be the same size as those sold for ukulele? If you bought 2 guitar sets you'd have enough for 3 ukes.

I bought some but the way the string is looped around is totally different than the ones shown in the original post (they're also different than what I thought I was ordering). The bead sits vertically rather than horizontally against the bridge. I haven't put them on my uke yet.

Edit: I just realized I bought their bridge beads instead of the string ties. D'oh!

20210724_211907.jpg

Attachments

• 20210724_211907.jpg
    20210724_211907.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I use them on tie and string thru bridges. They work great. Allow for string change outs on both type of bridges very fast. I like them. I swear by them. I also do normal tie bridge and beads for string thru but like this low profile system the best try them, you will like them!

Top Bottom