Strings for Mahogany Baritone

Osprey

Reaction score
About 3 or 4 weeks ago I bought my first Baritone, a Kala all solid mahogany. I love the sound, sweet and mellow, but it's pretty quiet compared to my tenors. It still has the stock strings which I think are Aquila nyguts with 2 wound bass strings. It sounds balanced but I would like to brighten it up a bit. I have had good luck with Southcoast strings on my tenors. Any suggestions? I want to keep standard Baritone tuning.

Martin M630 are my go to strings for baritones. I use them specifically to brighten up the tone on baritone ukuleles. They are the thinnest and brightest sounding trebles I have found, come with 2 wounds for D and G strings

I agree with Dave. For myself, Marting strings are the go to strings on a mahogany baritone. My other baritones are strung with Southeast HL-WB wound 3&4

I have Living Waters on my Kala mahogany baritone.
Rich deep baritone voice.

+1 Martin M630s.

Fluorocarbon is the way to go if you want to brighten up the sound imho. If you wanted to try a set with no wounds there's also Living Water.

Thanks, I think I will give the Martin M630's a try. They should be available at my local music store.

If you don't want to switch to fluroros and want to keep that warm nylgut punch, try D'Addario EJ88B Nyltech Ukulele Strings instead. Otherwise, +1 on the Martin M630s.

My feelings also.

Here is a link so you can hear how they sound on my mahogany baritone- https://youtu.be/CV_ctYcNwm0

Thanks, for posting the link. I have the exact same model Baritone. I really love the tone. Those Living Water strings sound great. Mike at Uke Republic is a great guy and I have ordered strings from him in the past and gotten excellent service. I plan to drop by my local music store today. If they have the Martins in stock I'll give them a try. I like the option of the Living Waters and keep them in mind.

Top Bottom