Strings to 'brighten' mahogany?

Elly

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a silly question, but what (brand of) strings can make a mahogany concert uke sound 'brighter'? I don't mean as bright as, say, a spruce, but just...u know..."less warm"? And is there any string that can make a mahogany uke sound like/almost like "a bell"?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what (brand of) strings can make a mahogany concert uke sound 'brighter'? I don't mean as bright as, say, a spruce, but just...u know..."less warm"? And is there any string that can make a mahogany uke sound like/almost like "a bell"?
Sound issues like this are not solved by strings but by modifying right hand playing technique.

What strings are you currently using? It would be helpful to know your starting point.

What strings are you currently using? It would be helpful to know your starting point.
Yes, this ^^. What strings are you using and not happy with? And what is the uke? Worth Clears could be good. Some of my ukes came strung with them, and they seem bright and clear in tone. My favorites are Uke Logics. I like them on just about everything I've tried them on. It can be hard finding the right string set, but it's interesting how strings can change the tone.

Sound issues like this are not solved by strings but by modifying right hand playing technique.
That's quite a general and assuming statement to make without knowing the OP's playing technique. Not really sure why a string change can't provide a change in sound regardless of technique.

I'd say clear fluorocarbon strings would be the way to go here. If you still feel the sound is too warm you can try a lighter tension string for increased brightness, something like Worth CD. If the sound is still too warm then it's time to look at other aspects.

I agree that some version of clear fluorocarbon would be a good start. Those mentioned are good choices. I would also add the Martin strings, which should be very easy to find, possibly even in local stores.

Thank u for the suggestions everyone:). Fyi my uke is laminate mahogany concert & i’m currently using Enya flourocarbon strings (the strings that original came with it ws a very boomy Aquila which i didnt fancy). I sometimes strum using the fleshy part of my thumb & index fingers, sometimes i use only my index fingernail & flesh. I strum on the joint where the uke neck meets the body & when plucking i do it above the soundhole. Anyway so now i’m looking into some of the strings suggested & also in my technique. Thanks again folks:)

Worths, as suggested. You might try the lights rather than the mediums. Martins are another solid choice. So are Fremont Blacklines.

Worths, as suggested. You might try the lights rather than the mediums. Martins are another solid choice. So are Fremont Blacklines.

Worth light strings are thinner gauge than their medium and heavy gauge strings. Thinner gauges seem to be quieter at all frequencies. Are they also more bright?

I've always thought that Fremont Blacklines were less bright than clear fluorocarbon strings. Maybe my ears are not so well trained.

Thank u for the suggestions everyone:). Fyi my uke is laminate mahogany concert & i’m currently using Enya flourocarbon strings (the strings that original came with it ws a very boomy Aquila which i didnt fancy). I sometimes strum using the fleshy part of my thumb & index fingers, sometimes i use only my index fingernail & flesh. I strum on the joint where the uke neck meets the body & when plucking i do it above the soundhole. Anyway so now i’m looking into some of the strings suggested & also in my technique. Thanks again folks:)
Well with a laminate the veneer is for decoration so not really relevant for strings. As you already have fluorocarbon on now it is not likely that changing to other similar strings will bring about a noticeable change. Also do the math how much new strings including shipping will cost relative to the value of the uke. As you are now at a stage where sound and quality of the uke are on your mind it may be a good idea to build a fund for a better uke instead of replacing strings that are not broken. A cheap laminate uke is what it is and you can only push it to a certain point with respect to sound.

I recently borrowed my niece's all-laminate mahogany tenor uke to see if I was interested in playing a tenor. Sound-wise, I wasn't impressed with the nylon strings that came on it (Aquilas likely) so I got her permission to change the strings to some fluorocarbons. The fluorocarbons did improve the sound over the nylons in my opinion but they didn't clean-up or brighten the sound as much as I would have liked were it my uke. Maybe some might call the sound "warm", to me it's a slightly dull, slightly muted sound. It doesn't ring or chime like my all-solid or solid-top ukes. If you have the inclination, I would recommend thinking about looking for at least a solid-top if not an all-solid uke. From what I've gathered so far, I don't think a different set of strings are going to change the sound much if you are already using fluorocarbons.

Yes, as merlin666 said, with an all laminate you may be limited as to how good the tone can get. I would try the change of strings anyway, they're not costly and you may find something that's a little more pleasing to you.

Not a silly question. I still have my first mahogany concert and yea, those strings went away fast. I tried martins, nope. Aquila reds, nope. A bunch more, nope. Oasis bright with wound low g- AHHH....yessss! Give them a try, for the price there is enough for two sets. :)

Not sure about you. Good advice, just wondering if you are used to a higher tension string. Something to think about.

I've had great luck with Martin M-600 (soprano/concert) strings. They have a nice bright chime that is pleasing to my ear. I have to admit, however, that I haven't tried some of the other brands suggested by the other members (Worth, UkeLogic, Oasis, etc.), so my experience is a little limited.

Top Bottom