Strings!!

NYG010

Reaction score
Alright, so I know Aquila is known for their strings and all, but has anyone used D'Addario J71's or D'Addrio J54's..I had some credit from a guitar shop and these are the two options besides crappy GHS.

Also whats "better" wound 3rd or regular? All the help is greatly appreciated!

Here are the photos of the two strings, anyone tried them??

803768.jpg
<br>
DV016_Jpg_Large_102200.jpg

Never used them myself but they are supposed to be pretty good. I would probably try the 71's if I had a choice. Most peeps don't prefer the wound. Good luck.

Never used them myself but they are supposed to be pretty good. I would probably try the 71's if I had a choice. Most peeps don't prefer the wound. Good luck.

Thanks buddy. Any other rumors or people who tried them out would really help. Much love!

I've used the 71 set in the past and they were pretty good. I would recommend them. I don't use them any longer as I now play low g, but when I played high g tuning I used them for a long time.

I've used the 71 set in the past and they were pretty good. I would recommend them. I don't use them any longer as I now play low g, but when I played high g tuning I used them for a long time.

Interesting, I hear a lot about this high g-low g...is that because its easier to play songs on them that you wouldnt be able to play otherwise? Thanks for your insight!

Both tunings have advantages, you should try both and see which you prefer! Check if your guitar shop will sell you an individual G string (high or low) along with whichever set you buy. If not, get one set now, then try the other when your strings need changing in a few months.

I've only played D'Addario strings (the black ones) on a soprano. They sounded great to me. Very mellow, classic ukulele sound.

Both tunings have advantages, you should try both and see which you prefer! Check if your guitar shop will sell you an individual G string (high or low) along with whichever set you buy. If not, get one set now, then try the other when your strings need changing in a few months.

I've only played D'Addario strings (the black ones) on a soprano. They sounded great to me. Very mellow, classic ukulele sound.

Thanks for your reply! So I'm guessing you prefer the Wound 3rd string? I believe the one your talking about are the J54's. Thanks again dude!

I don't even have a tenor ukulele---that'll be my reward for successfully planning a vacation to Hawaii---so no preference yet. Both sound/feel good to me when I try out the tenors at music shops. Hmm, now that I think about it, I do lean a little toward the wound 3rd string.

what is the purpose of a wound C? is it because of its lower pitch,,

so if you had a uke with a wound C and a low G would the G also be wound then?

what is the purpose of a wound C? is it because of its lower pitch,,

so if you had a uke with a wound C and a low G would the G also be wound then?

I'm asking the same question kind of...You could choose to have JUST a wound C like the ukulele package that I showed in the first post of this thread. A lot of people here prefer Wound C's and a lot (most I think) do not prefer any wound strings..I'm trying to figure out what the difference is really. I'm also still trying to find out if people have used those J71's!! ANYONE? Thank you in advance!

I've used J71s on my Kamaka tenor. They sound great, but seem to "float" in and out of tune during the same session.

Wound strings basically have a central core with material wrapped around it so they will vibrate at a lower pitch without being ridiculously stiff or thick. With modern materials like fluorocarbon it is possible to get all the way down to low G with an unwound string, though that seems to be about the limit (as unwound strings get thicker they can begin to vibrate kind of oddly).

Some people object to the feel of wound strings. I don't really mind them but prefer to avoid them because of longevity issues - I use my fingernails a lot so wound strings tend not to last a long time in my house. :)

John

I've used J71s on my Kamaka tenor. They sound great, but seem to "float" in and out of tune during the same session.

Hm..Even after long term usage? They still dont seem to stretch? Thanks for your insight! So far the only person who has responded who's actually had experience with these!

Wound strings basically have a central core with material wrapped around it so they will vibrate at a lower pitch without being ridiculously stiff or thick. With modern materials like fluorocarbon it is possible to get all the way down to low G with an unwound string, though that seems to be about the limit (as unwound strings get thicker they can begin to vibrate kind of oddly).

Some people object to the feel of wound strings. I don't really mind them but prefer to avoid them because of longevity issues - I use my fingernails a lot so wound strings tend not to last a long time in my house. :)

John

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up for us brudda !

Top Bottom