Stumped

GalexC

Ok. I can’t get any farther ahead with information on my taropatch. I wish the maker had branded their name inside on the neck or tail block. Would have helped out immensely. It fretboard just looks so much like all the Martins I have seen. Haven’t seen one this long though. I’ve prepped a couple nuts for it but the BIG question is whether to pull the frets and level the fretboard (not knowing the value of it). I’ve got vintage brass guitar wire that is thin enough to match. Not sure how the 4 ply binding would hold up. Or is it better to just sell it to someone more specialized at ukulele. I’ve built guitars, basses and rebuilt a vintage 20’s mandolin (no brand). This little ss stewart just looks a bit more of a challenge. Appreciate opinions

Attachments

• 902C54AA-B6BE-4C0D-B56B-0D9E5A3017B2.jpeg
    902C54AA-B6BE-4C0D-B56B-0D9E5A3017B2.jpeg
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 26627B26-3209-4F7F-B742-0073A02CADD6.jpeg
    26627B26-3209-4F7F-B742-0073A02CADD6.jpeg
    459.7 KB · Views: 34

GalexC

Ok. I can’t get any farther ahead with information on my taropatch. I wish the maker had branded their name inside on the neck or tail block. Would have helped out immensely. It fretboard just looks so much like all the Martins I have seen. Haven’t seen one this long though. I’ve prepped a couple nuts for it but the BIG question is whether to pull the frets and level the fretboard (not knowing the value of it). I’ve got vintage brass guitar wire that is thin enough to match. Not sure how the 4 ply binding would hold up. Or is it better to just sell it to someone more specialized at ukulele. I’ve built guitars, basses and rebuilt a vintage 20’s mandolin (no brand). This little ss stewart just looks a bit more of a challenge. Appreciate opinions

Attachments

• 8DB303BE-1867-4A65-BECE-A2642FD0BD48.jpeg
    8DB303BE-1867-4A65-BECE-A2642FD0BD48.jpeg
    831.8 KB · Views: 7
  • A953533D-A1CB-4596-B9B9-E5917ABB69A6.jpeg
    A953533D-A1CB-4596-B9B9-E5917ABB69A6.jpeg
    964.2 KB · Views: 8

GalexC

GalexC

Bill1

This is an opinion.

Contact someone like Jake wildwood to discuss this issue. He has restored many instruments which are similar to this. Be prepared to pay for his time if you want to get the best answer or appraisal. Ask for a cost estimate which you can use in the next part.

If you are not into ukuleles and don't want to play ukuleles, then I believe the best thing to do is to move the instrument into the hands of someone who is interested in ukuleles as it is. Don't change anything and let them work out all the details to suit their own purposes.

UU has a marketplace forum where members can advertise ukuleles. The only cost is your time and your effort to follow the rules and answer the questions with a positive attitude. I think it is within the rules to post an advertisement for a uke in the condition shown. Prospective buyers may want some more details like photos to be able to make a buying decision. If you have an appraisal from someone like Jake Wildwood who is known to many UU members it will help you sell the instrument, but you do not have to post it on UU, you are allowed to make it available to serious potential buyers in a manner of your choosing, after you make sure they are not tyre kickers. And you are allowed to recoup all costs in the asking price, but obviously the final price will be between you and the buyer, you do not have to disclose the selling price or confidential buyer/seller process details.

GalexC

This is an opinion.

Contact someone like Jake wildwood to discuss this issue. He has restored many instruments which are similar to this. Be prepared to pay for his time if you want to get the best answer or appraisal. Ask for a cost estimate which you can use in the next part.

If you are not into ukuleles and don't want to play ukuleles, then I believe the best thing to do is to move the instrument into the hands of someone who is interested in ukuleles as it is. Don't change anything and let them work out all the details to suit their own purposes.

UU has a marketplace forum where members can advertise ukuleles. The only cost is your time and your effort to follow the rules and answer the questions with a positive attitude. I think it is within the rules to post an advertisement for a uke in the condition shown. Prospective buyers may want some more details like photos to be able to make a buying decision. If you have an appraisal from someone like Jake Wildwood who is known to many UU members it will help you sell the instrument, but you do not have to post it on UU, you are allowed to make it available to serious potential buyers in a manner of your choosing, after you make sure they are not tyre kickers. And you are allowed to recoup all costs in the asking price, but obviously the final price will be between you and the buyer, you do not have to disclose the selling price or confidential buyer/seller process details.
Thanks for your reply. I did have an email from Jake a while back. Sort of still at a point of no definitive answer. Could be, might be etc. Surely there is one out in the world that looks the same. Although another thought would be the owner of that one knows no more about his than I do of mine. As far as keeping it, I’m not sure. I’m basically a bass, guitar guy who has a mandolin and a ukulele. I bought my twin granddaughters ukulele’s but they are on the other side of the globe and I don’t get much feedback on how they are doing. Other than piano that is. Thanks again!!