Sturdiest most durable solid wood ukulele?

Snowbeast

Reaction score
Barring all travel and synthetic material ukuleles, which maker has the sturdiest solid wood ukuleles? Are there any particular models you find especially hefty and durable?

I think Ponos have to be towards the top of the list. Especially pre-2019 models.

I've traveled quite a bit with a couple of my 2017 Pono tenors. They are built like tanks and they have had zero problems.

DETAILS: Over a three year period, I have used my Pono ATD Acacia and RTC(S) Spruce/Rosewood Cutaway tenors at my uke club, gigs, uke festivals, and taken them on car and airplane trips in the US. I did travel with them in Crossrock ABS cases. They did get nicks and a few dents from people knocking my ukes while they were hanging on my music stand or having the top of the case shut suddenly from a bump. Even from giving them to another player to try and having them bumped against something hard. They were even knocked from a table to a carpeted floor a few times. They have spent a day at a time in 18% to 90% humidity, but have not been rained or snowed upon. Nor has anyone spilled a beer on them.

They have not been kid tested though. :oops:

Barring all travel and synthetic material ukuleles, which maker has the sturdiest solid wood ukuleles? Are there any particular models you find especially hefty and durable?

Its usual for Luthiers / Builders here to say that the lightest built instruments sound the best and overbuilt built instruments aren’t a good idea, maybe you’d be best served by looking for something in the middle-ground? If someone can just avoid the obviously lightly built (fragile) and treat an instrument with some care them it’s surprising what Ukes will cope with. I’ve had a Bruko No 6 and have an Ohana 35 series concert, both seem perfectly reasonable players to me and both appear to be durable - without being overbuilt - rather than fragile.

If hefty and durable is what you what then going to the expense of using solid wood is pointless, to give of its best solid wood needs to be thin and able to vibrate easily. Laminate is the way to go for durable, many play well enough and laminate Ukes are generally relatively inexpensive.

Last edited:
Its usual for Luthiers / Builders here to say that the lightest built instruments sound the best and overbuilt built instruments aren’t a good idea, maybe you’d be best served by looking for something in the middle-ground? If someone can just avoid the obviously lightly built (fragile) and treat an instrument with some care them it’s surprising what Ukes will cope with. I’ve had a Bruko No 6 and have an Ohana 35 series concert, both seem perfectly reasonable players to me and both appear to be durable - without being overbuilt - rather than fragile.
Definitely looking for something on the overbuilt hefty side. No middle ground for me. I want a tank.

Definitely looking for something on the overbuilt hefty side. No middle ground for me. I want a tank.
If the ukulele you are describing is intended to be an acoustic instrument, it would sound awful. Best get yourself a Risa Stick and a tiny practice amp.

I'd agree with Kenn - Pono would be a good choice. And they have a nice sound, many choices in woods etc. If it's Tenor size you are after, those have adjustable truss rods in them too. Pono are well regarded for good reason. A used one would save you some money.

What problem are you trying to solve for which “Sturdy Build” is the solution?

We can tell you which instruments seem to be built like tanks, but if you tell us what you believe the issue to be, we might have some other ideas you may not have thought of.

If you want a "tank" buy a Mitchell*. They do sound a bit subdued (too much so for my liking) but they are solid, durable, reliable, and pretty. The neck feels like a baseball bat but in a good way. You can play one at any GC.

*Mitchell MU70 series.

Last edited:
Although I've never owned one and they seem a bit pricey and hard to find, those Godin Multiukes look to be as solid as can be. Body is carved from a single block of wood and the neck bolts on. They are very heavy, and would be my first choice of instruments for fighting off muggers or wild dogs...

Otherwise, I'd agree with the Pono consensus... My AT-CR is also a very solid build... and they are reasonably priced so if worse come to worst it won't seem like a crisis...

My BruceWeiArts tenor is also heavily built with a super thick top and back.

And: My students drop their inexpensive Kalas off their desks and onto the linoleum floors all the time with little effect. Not solid wood but a solid value and cheap to replace.

I guess you need to decide how likely it will be that it gets destroyed - and your level of emotional attachment to your instruments - as factors in your decision...

Thanks for all the replies. I was just curious which makers made ukes on the thicker side as opposed to the feather light ones, my tank comment was sarcastic. Didn't expect all the purchase advice, maybe I posted this in the wrong section.

What problem are you trying to solve for which “Sturdy Build” is the solution?

We can tell you which instruments seem to be built like tanks, but if you tell us what you believe the issue to be, we might have some other ideas you may not have thought of.
No issues needing no solutions! Just curious about ukulele makers who make them on the heavier side.

With respect, I can’t understand why you would specify solid wood without wanting the benefits of solid wood. Get a quality laminate, it will be more durable and still sound good.

With respect, I can’t understand why you would specify solid wood without wanting the benefits of solid wood. Get a quality laminate, it will be more durable and still sound good.
That is what I was thinking. Having a thin laminate (like Kiwaya and some others) would certainly sound better than a heavier solid instrument.

My Kala flame maple tenor is not fragile, and has a really nice tone. Maple is a fairly hard wood, and Kalas are not a light build. This is the uke I gave my adult son to try one holiday when he had a few too many. I didn't worry about his bashing away like it was an electric guitar, lol.

I realize you are specifying a wood uke, but I highly recommend considering an Outdoor Ukulele (made in Bend, OR). These ukes are constructed of a polycarbonate with glass fibers (not ABS). Extremely durable and sound fantastic. I own a green soprano and a black tenor. I play them more than my wooden uke. This would fall into the tank category without compromising sound.

Oh, a month old thread revived, one that I didnt notice at the time!

If you want a solid wood ukulele and worry less when travelling, perhaps choosing the right case have a bigger effect than choice of ukulele?
Professional musicians travel all over with all kinds of delicate acoustic instruments.

For some reason, the Brueko ukuleles that I've played were all really strong and solidly built, *without* being heavy or overbuilt!

Their slightly flatter models with a 'belly' especially.

They do have a very unique sound, that might not suit every player or all kinds of music; loud, strong, exceptionally fast attack and usually sustain that is on the shorter side.
Check out Wilfred Wwelti on YouTube, he often plays a soprano Brueko (Brüko).

Oh, and their intonation is impeccable!

It just hit me, the Cocobolos are very solid. That hard cocobolo wood is somewhat unique in its density. These ukes are extremely sturdy, imo.

It just hit me, the Cocobolos are very solid. That hard cocobolo wood is somewhat unique in its density. These ukes are extremely sturdy, imo.
I'm going to think somewhat fairly stable too and able to take some humidity changes in a reasonable range. But thats a guess. I wouldn't go extreme with any solid uke but I think the cocobolo might be just a bit forgiving. They are definitely solid and seem durable.

Top Bottom