Sturdiest most durable solid wood ukulele?

It just hit me, the Cocobolos are very solid. That hard cocobolo wood is somewhat unique in its density. These ukes are extremely sturdy, imo.
I was wondering about that. Would they not have to cut the top extremely thin to get some resonance out of it? I would expect that there is a trade off between materiel density and stiffness and the thickness needed that also affects stability, and the builder can influence that with bracing choices.

I was wondering about that. Would they not have to cut the top extremely thin to get some resonance out of it? I would expect that there is a trade off between materiel density and stiffness and the thickness needed that also affects stability, and the builder can influence that with bracing choices.
Cocobolo tends to split though?

Edit: How about Millar all solid Bolivian Rosewood (Pau Ferro) models with gloss? Pau Ferro is quite a hardwood and high gloss can add to the durability.

Last edited:
Although I've never owned one and they seem a bit pricey and hard to find, those Godin Multiukes look to be as solid as can be. Body is carved from a single block of wood and the neck bolts on. They are very heavy, and would be my first choice of instruments for fighting off muggers or wild dogs...

Otherwise, I'd agree with the Pono consensus...
I’ve owned a Pono and currently own a Godin multiuke. Yes to both being built solid. The godin does feel amazing in the hand
and has a surprising amount of acoustic volume and it sounds great pugged in. As others have noted - the heavier a solid wood uke is built, the less volume/tone it tends to have.

If you’re looking for durable without the loss of tone I’d strongly consider the Blackbird ekoa ukes (Clara and Faralon). Amazing tone and pretty stout, although not in the same league as a waterman or the Klos carbon fiber ukes for durability.

and a side note because I’m nerdy - banjos run the opposite direction from ukes and guitars - the more structure you get (I.e. heavier) the tone improves and the value may be higher. There are exceptions of course, but in general the high end banjos are pretty hefty.

I might try a good solid top, laminate back and side ukulele. Not so expensive if it gets damaged and may sound better than you think. It will be more resistant to changes of temperature and humidity. Take some of the money you save and get it set up really well.

Does anybody make a better uke like this?

I’ve owned a Pono and currently own a Godin multiuke.
If you can, could you list the weight of the Godin. The Godin website says "shipping weight 7 pounds." But I can't tell if that is the shipping weight of box, packaging, instrument or just the weight of the instrument. Thank you,

A fluke tenor with solid wood top will be quite sturdy.
I agree with that. I think the most indestructible uke I ever owned was my soprano flea. Even my 8 year old grandson was not able to destroy it. I didn't think it sounded as good as my other wooded sopranos but it was sturdy. A close second was probably a Cordoba tenor (laminate) I once owned that was built like a tank, but lacked any sort of projection.

As previously mentioned in this thread luthiers all say that building a uke (or guitar) is a balance between great sound and sturdiness. Where on that spectrum you want to end up is up to you. I once owned a Taylor GSMini guitar. Sounded fantastic. Eventually it started to deform in the belly so badly it needed a neck reset because it was very lightly braced. The reset woudn't fix the belly, but would make it more playable. I sold it to a guy who didn't care about playing up the neck and thanked my lucky stars he came along. One of the guitar gurus I follow on YT (Jarvis at Guitar Spa Singapore) says that is a well known problem with those under-braced guitars he sees.

Last edited:
Brükos are famous for their durability. I ve seen 60 year old ones which have been knocked and stored badly.

Still no cracks or something like that.

Top Bottom