Synergy Instruments Ukuleles -Update

Hi,

I never plugged it in so can't comment on that, but the acoustic seemed a bit on the quieter side. For me, I have small hands and the neck profile was too thick for me. I can't remember exactly what I paid, the color carbon fiber and the pickup were extra. I was thinking it was around $800 Canadian. I'll see if I can find my receipt and let you know.
Yes, I agree with you on that assessment. I think it is going back. I hope the Klos feels and sounds better. That is coming tomorrow. Thanks for sharing

Yes, I agree with you on that assessment. I think it is going back. I hope the Klos feels and sounds better. That is coming tomorrow. Thanks for sharing
Do let us know what you think of the Klos, as there has been a fair amount of experience with them on this board. I have one of the first ones from the original Kickstarter campaign, what they now call the "hybrid" with a wood neck. It's a bit on the quiet side, but that might be because I have the action down to 2.3 mm (0.090"). I think the Klos is great, but their neck angles don't allow for very low action, and the only way to get it down to that level was to sand down the bridge.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep the Klos uke. Having paid only $600 plus tax is a great deal considering a new one costs $1,100. But I'm still not sure. It arrived kind of dirty and dusty with worn strings. I put a set of Aquila Super Nygut with an Aquila Red low G. It certainly plays loud and clear to my ears, but maybe kind of boomy and stacato. That is exacerbated by my playing style which is different than most (using a felt pick in plectrum style). I made videos of my playing it as well as my Ohana tenor to hear a comparison. However, it doesn't seem like I can add those MP4 files as attachments. The other minor thing is that the neck is slightly out of flat, but it doesn't affect the playing which feels fine to me. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I also played it through my Fishman Mini Charge Amp and it sounded great, very even across the strings.

I was kind of expecting it to blow me away, and although very nice, I'm still not sure.

Can we get this back to synergy and if they still exist?
They do not exist. They fell off the radar in the fall--I tried to contact them 20 times or so in multiple ways to get a refund on a soprano that I was going to have as my first travel in nearly two years. They ghosted. . I did finally get ahold of someone, and I think that might have been one of their last acts. Others had not been refunded, it appears. At the very least, they were pretty unethical in their closing up shop. I know that is super hard and stressful, but..

They do not exist. They fell off the radar in the fall--I tried to contact them 20 times or so in multiple ways to get a refund on a soprano that I was going to have as my first travel in nearly two years. They ghosted. . I did finally get ahold of someone, and I think that might have been one of their last acts. Others had not been refunded, it appears. At the very least, they were pretty unethical in their closing up shop. I know that is super hard and stressful, but..
Yeah, that just stinks

The thing is, if they went bankrupt they will be locked out from everything, their offices, computers etc. so will not be able to be "ethical" the only one with access to their assets, if any, is the lawyer, the trustee, in charge.

The thing is, if they went bankrupt they will be locked out from everything, their offices, computers etc. so will not be able to be "ethical" the only one with access to their assets, if any, is the lawyer, the trustee, in charge.
Different countries, different states (provinces), different laws.
In the US, bankruptcy laws are complex and have lots of nuances:
Chapter 11 Bankruptcy–Reorganization of business affairs, debts and assets,
Chapter 13 Bankruptcy–Protection of the court. 5 year plan to repay debts for sole proprietors.
Other Chapters. (That's why the lawyers get paid the big bucks.)
Dissolution of a company-Closing, liquidation. Depends upon the structure of the entity.
Each US state has its own variations of the process and liabilities.
There is a ranking of creditors created during the process. Some get paid before others. Usually pennies on the dollars owed.
Some, such as the employees, never get paid anything towards what is owed them. (Been there, done that.)

They had months before it got to that. They intentionally did not reply to people. I give business a ton of grace and latitude, but they really were bad.

They had months before it got to that. They intentionally did not reply to people. I give business a ton of grace and latitude, but they really were bad.
And it sounds like they still accepted money for ukes that they knew would not get built or delivered.

Yes, I would think they would have had a sense that things were going in that direction. I am sure these things are difficult, but it is no excuse for not doing what is right.

Bummer about Synergy and the folks who lost money.

Back to the Klos. I'm sending back both the Synergy and the Klos. I talked to Klos who traced the serial number to a three year old model. This one has an earlier Fishman pickup that is harder to access (although it sounds great). The neck flatness issue worries me, and I don't like the tuners which are placed too close together so that there is barely room for fingers.

I basically wanted a uke that I could take camping and not worry about evening dew. I'm now expecting to arrive today an Enya tenor with the metal frets. I have a Flight Travel Soprano that sounds and plays amazingly well for a $60 instrument. However the plastic frets suck, especially because they are not molded entirely to the side ends of the fretboard. My finger often slips off the end when fretting the first string.

Bummer about Synergy and the folks who lost money.

Back to the Klos. I'm sending back both the Synergy and the Klos. I talked to Klos who traced the serial number to a three year old model. This one has an earlier Fishman pickup that is harder to access (although it sounds great). The neck flatness issue worries me, and I don't like the tuners which are placed too close together so that there is barely room for fingers.

I basically wanted a uke that I could take camping and not worry about evening dew. I'm now expecting to arrive today an Enya tenor with the metal frets. I have a Flight Travel Soprano that sounds and plays amazingly well for a $60 instrument. However the plastic frets suck, especially because they are not molded entirely to the side ends of the fretboard. My finger often slips off the end when fretting the first string.
My original Klos has a dead flat neck, which I prefer. My second Klos (a full carbon) had WAY too much neck relief, which was part of the reason I returned it. I also complained to them about the tiny headstock, but they say most customers prefer it that way. (I'd like to see the data on that.)

I also own an Enya Tenor, which I think is just a blast to play. Not that loud, but super thin and comfortable to hold. Its major flat is having a bit too much neck relief, but at the low price I can live with it.

Update on my weatherproof ukulele. Got the Enya tenor with pickup, and put on a set of Aquila Supers with a Red low G. Acoustically, the ukulele sounds amazingly good, even and very bright. In fact, I like that the Aquilas tone down that brightness a bit, and adds more volume. I have to give credit to Enya. The pitch and intonation are spot on, even up the neck. The metal frets and radius fretboard are amazing. I'm getting used to the wider fingerboard,which many folks like, but I need to get adjusted to.

The electronics, which provide "internal" amplification and effects, are pretty lame. I'd rather have a simple pickup, and if it has to be active, I'd like a built in tuner that cuts off the amp when tuner activated. That's great for stage work. Too bad they concentrated on the useless on board effects. In lieu of batteries, it charges via USB, which is kind of cool. It sounds nice plugged into my Fishman Mini Charge.

The bottom line is that this instrument is going to give me what I need: something I can use outside and into the evening when dew falls. It cost only a bit over $200, so it is a bargain. It will easily fit into the camper and the canoe.

Update on my weatherproof ukulele. Got the Enya tenor with pickup, and put on a set of Aquila Supers with a Red low G. Acoustically, the ukulele sounds amazingly good, even and very bright. In fact, I like that the Aquilas tone down that brightness a bit, and adds more volume. I have to give credit to Enya. The pitch and intonation are spot on, even up the neck. The metal frets and radius fretboard are amazing. I'm getting used to the wider fingerboard,which many folks like, but I need to get adjusted to.

The electronics, which provide "internal" amplification and effects, are pretty lame. I'd rather have a simple pickup, and if it has to be active, I'd like a built in tuner that cuts off the amp when tuner activated. That's great for stage work. Too bad they concentrated on the useless on board effects. In lieu of batteries, it charges via USB, which is kind of cool. It sounds nice plugged into my Fishman Mini Charge.

The bottom line is that this instrument is going to give me what I need: something I can use outside and into the evening when dew falls. It cost only a bit over $200, so it is a bargain. It will easily fit into the camper and the canoe.
Thanks for the update. I have the same Enya (no pickup) and wanted to try some different strings. I have some Reds (high G) on hand so I'll try them.

I just bought that and am waiting for delivery. I could get no information about it from Guitar Center. I also am waiting for a Klos to arrive. Shipping is costing me $25,but it is the only way I can try these instruments because I can't find local dealers. I may end up returning either or both to my local Guitar Center in Madison, Wisconsin. I'll try to give a review when it arrives,
I might be interested in the Synergy Soprano if you're thinking of selling it.
Uncle Rod Higuchi
( rohiguchi@gmail.com )
for TEXT (206-234-6972)

I might be interested in the Synergy Soprano if you're thinking of selling it.
Uncle Rod Higuchi

Hey Rod. You might've missed his post saying he was sending it back. So maybe it is available for sale again where he got it. It'd be worth calling ,if so, as they will often give you a better deal..at least 10% off what they're asking.

Yes Rod, last Monday I returned to Guitar Center in Madison, Wisconsin. If you buy it you will pay for shipping (about $12 for me when it came from the Pacific coast). But, you can return it to a local Guitar Center if you don't like it.

The instrument is kind of a tank, solid and heavy. Because of that, the acoustic sound was not strong or compelling in tone. However, it played like a dream and sounded great through my Fishman Mini Charge amp. If that is your goal, you might like it. Good luck.

I also returned the Klos, also a darn good deal. I just didn't like the pickup with its awkward internal battery case and control knobs. It also played great and sounded great through the amp. Acoustically, it was loud and even, with its own carbon fiber tone.

Yes Rod, last Monday I returned to Guitar Center in Madison, Wisconsin. If you buy it you will pay for shipping (about $12 for me when it came from the Pacific coast). But, you can return it to a local Guitar Center if you don't like it.

The instrument is kind of a tank, solid and heavy. Because of that, the acoustic sound was not strong or compelling in tone. However, it played like a dream and sounded great through my Fishman Mini Charge amp. If that is your goal, you might like it. Good luck.

I also returned the Klos, also a darn good deal. I just didn't like the pickup with its awkward internal battery case and control knobs. It also played great and sounded great through the amp. Acoustically, it was loud and even, with its own carbon fiber tone.
Thank you:)
I did notice that the Soprano is actually a Concert-size ukulele.
I already have a Synergy Concert CF ukulele.
I don't really play plugged in so I think I'll pass on this one.

Thanks for the timely updated info:)

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom