Tenor Aquila Sugar strings and low tension option?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a tenor ukulele and aquila sugar strings? I find the regular tenor strings to be a bit too much tension for my taste. I've taken to tuning them down a half step, which is fine for playing alone but I'd like a more permanent fix.

Since I they also make this string (with several tension options) for classical guitar I'm wondering if anyone has experimented to see if any of these packs work and feel better than the tenor strings. Advice much appreciated!

Cadia

Do you want to stay with Aquila Sugar? I love Uke Logic soft tension, Living Water, KoAloha strings, aNueNue Blackwater, and Pepe Romero's strings because of the sound and comfortable tension for me. Worth Browns are okay too.

gm07

Have you tried Uke Logic soft strings? I’ve played a tenor with them and by far the lowest tension.

I haven't tried Uke Logic, but I've heard nothing but good things so I really should just order them. I''m a bit obsessed with changing strings right now, ha!

I'm not married to the Aquila Sugar strings, but I am quite fond of them. I feel like they take some of them bite out of my Martin T1K while still preserving the brightness. They also have amazing bend and vibrato and I'm a fan of the thickness/feel.

M3Ukulele

I’m going to try Sugar on my tenors but put concert strings on tenor. I did it with New Nylgut on a Tiny Tenor and liked it. Sugars are thinner anyways, so going down to concert should help. I also play sometime a half step down. It depends on the tenor.

ive read good things about Uke Logic and Living Waters but SBM don’t handle them.

if you try concert Sugars offer up and opinion.

emba

Since we’re talking tenor, you could tune it to EAC#F#, which is an alternate tuning I read about here on the boards. I don’t use it all the time, but it does sound good on a tenor and uses the same chord shapes (with different chord names) with less tension on the strings.

this is a good article on alternate tunings: https://www.gotaukulele.com/2016/09/dont-be-afraid-of-alternative-ukulele.html?m=1

the specific one I mentioned above (and how to easily figure out which name goes with which chord shape) is discussed in the third paragraph from the bottom.

M3Ukulele

Thanks, just tried the A TUNING ON MY PONO. It’s very nice. I played all my normal songs, they just sounded lower. Good article by BAZ on steps, circle of fifths and what tuning in 5th means. I’m still weak on theory but every little bit helps. I keep trying low G to get something different……I kinda like the A tuning. It certainly has a very nice tension on strings.

BLACKJACK500

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help... I'd like to setup a 8 string Tenor Uke with ALL 4 strings in TWO Octaves.. LOW & HIGH on each position... I've seen & heard it done on a Utube clip. & my friend & myself would like to do it. Does anyone know where I could get sets like this or what we need to do to get this setup.??

merlin666

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help... I'd like to setup a 8 string Tenor Uke with ALL 4 strings in TWO Octaves.. LOW & HIGH on each position... I've seen & heard it done on a Utube clip. & my friend & myself would like to do it. Does anyone know where I could get sets like this or what we need to do to get this setup.??
There are several threads on this already. The low G and high C strings come from regular 8 string set and a low A from 6 string set. The issue is with the E string where either way of going an octave up or down may present a challenge with string diameter and tension.