Tenor and Classical Guitars

If I understood correctly, cuatro has low 1st and 4th strings, and the middle ones are from the next higher octave. The intervals are the same, but the technique and sound and individual notes are different from those of ukes.

Hi all

Just listening to some tenor guitar playing, when strumming it is not quite the sound i want if there are two open strings with their drone effect. I think a lot of people like this, but i am wondering do some people only stum 3 strings when strumming in fifths tuning?

Thanks
David

i think this guy is doing it but i am a bit confused

Last edited:
Do you mean that the chord voicing is so open that it gets too boomy? Does it depend on the inversion that is used? That is it the I, III or V that's the lowest or something.

Do you mean that the chord voicing is so open that it gets too boomy? Does it depend on the inversion that is used? That is it the I, III or V that's the lowest or something.

Hi, no it is the very distinctive jangle. I am not sure i can explain it, it sounds like a very exotic instrument. Because most tenor guitar players pick melody you dont always hear it. I am after more of a guitar sound. Thanks

Edit: wondering if the sound is a result of youtube compression.

Edit2: actually i think it is a deliberate sustained drone allowed to ring over changing chords, so purely a technique thing. Please excuse me ;-)

Last edited:
I traded my last tenor guitar away for a 12 string. 1928 Martin2-18T for a late 60’s Martin 12-20.

Well, I finally got around to tuning my new BR T60 to DGBE. CGDA just wasn’t working for me. I couldn’t find much music to play with it, except for Tenor banjo stuff which has way too many chords for me to learn and remember. There are lots of Irish books, but I already have a bunch for my Irish banjo and mandolin.

I’m happy with the change. DGBE is closer to my banjos’ tuning, and I have some baritone ukulele books and other stuff I can use. I already know many of the chords that I’ll be usin’ too.

The BR is still too large though and higher pitched than I like. It’s really a moose. I dunno what a real guitar would feel like.

Last edited:
Does anyone ever use a Foot Stand? I have a nice one that I’ve used before, but I keep crushing it when I push on it to rise. I’ve done it two three times and can’t seem to stop. It’s bent back into its correct shape easily enough, but I’d rather use it correctly. For the present, I’m usin’ a small cardboard box, and I’ve tried other stuff, tryin’ to learn not to stomp on it to git outta my chair.

Ha! Gitten up and down is not one of my forte’s anymore.

Last edited:
if DGBE too high, have you considered GDAE or G2CEA (octave ukulele)?

I have an old wooden kneeler from a church. Makes a nice foot rest for guitar and is indestructible. Looks nice with the antique furniture.

The equivalent would be to get a small aerobic step from a sports shop (when they reopen). Probably one of the cheap really narrow ones that you would be too scared to actually try steps on

david

Hi. I don’t understand your first sentence. I like DGBE fine. — no problemo.

I think I’ve solved the discomfort of my big (to me) Blueridge. I readjusted the strap I've been usin’. Now the guitar is higher on my chest. It was too low and resting very uncomfortably on my lap. It worked fine tonight’s session despite my slight my beer belly, and it works even better with a footrest. I’ve been usin’ a small cardboard box and tryin’ to remember not to stomp it flat.

If and when I learn to use a footrest correctly, I’ll just use my real footrest. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Sliding on their TGs? I am, and I’m really enjoyin’ it. I’m pretty comfortable with my glass slide on my finger now, and I’m doin’ pretty well on the slidin’. I’ve gotta work on G scales up the neck and find some tunes that’ll work with DGBD.

So far I’ve had some very interesting and valuable sessions. Now I’ve gotta keep improving.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Sliding on their TGs? I am, and I’m really enjoyin’ it. I’m pretty comfortable with my glass slide on my finger now, and I’m doin’ pretty well on the slidin’. I’ve gotta work on G scales up the neck and find some tunes that’ll work with DGBD.

So far I’ve had some very interesting and valuable sessions. Now I’ve gotta keep improving. :eek:ld:

Have not touched a slide in well over a decade, and that was with an old six-string my granddaughter now has. You've got me hooked. Am going to have to stop by the local music shop and get one soon.

I’ve recently started playin’ slide again with a book and a bunch of stuff on the internet. I seem to be progressing faster this time. Maybe I just have more experience now. Any how, I’m doing better.

Last edited:
Here's my story...

I dreamed for more than a few months about getting a BR40T. On my way to vacation in Gatlinburg,TN, I planned on stopping by Music Outlet as they have them there, on display. I was also underwhelmed due to the lack of "body" in the tone. It was strung DGBE. The neck was going to be too much a reach for 5ths tuning, which was my ultimate plan.

So, I walked around the store awhile (it is huge) and found my wife gazing at a Gold Tone Banjola. I picked it up and tuned it to my liking, CGBE, with the drone string an octave higher, as a "g". I immediately fell in love with its lush harmonics and very long sustain. Like a banjo, it has a narrow neck with an added 5th string. Like the BR40T, it is diminutive in volume. I bought it, though. It really sounds wonderful.

Depending on what gauge string you use for the drone, it can be tuned for several keys: A D'Addario .011" gets you c thru g, which seem the most versatile for me.

I have purchased the replacement bridge with a pickup, but haven't installed it yet. Here's why. The Gold Tone planetary tuners feel like they are falling apart, making it "less than enjoyable" to play. I certainly didn't stress them, but I'm looking at $100-125 to upgrade them with unknown results. I love this thing, but the tuners have stopped me from playing it.

Hopefully, this will have a happy ending.

Last edited:
Here's my story...

I dreamed for more than a few months about getting a BR40T. On my way to vacation in Gatlinburg,TN, I planned on stopping by Music Outlet as they have them there, on display. I was also underwhelmed due to the lack of "body" in the tone. It was strung DGBE. The neck was going to be too much a reach for 5ths tuning, which was my ultimate plan.

So, I walked around the store awhile (it is huge) and found my wife gazing at a Gold Tone Banjola. I picked it up and tuned it to my liking, CGBE, with the drone string an octave higher, as a "g". I immediately fell in love with its lush harmonics and very long sustain. Like a banjo, it has a narrow neck with an added 5th string. Like the BR40T, it is diminutive in volume. I bought it, though. It really sounds wonderful.

Depending on what gauge string you use for the drone, it can be tuned for several keys: A D'Addario .011" gets you c thru g, which seem the most versatile for me.

I have purchased the replacement bridge with a pickup, but haven't installed it yet. Here's why. The Gold Tone planetary tuners feel like they are falling apart, making it "less than enjoyable" to play. I certainly didn't stress them, but I'm looking at $100-125 to upgrade them with unknown results. I love this thing, but the tuners have stopped me from playing it.

Hopefully, this will have a happy ending.

These are great instruments...I had one a number of years back and due to too many other instruments and a financial hickup I sold the banjola, still regret it...I do have a few decent five string banjos and enjoy playing them (mostly claw hammer style). My only tenor guitar these days is one of the inexpensive Ibanez PFT2 laminate tenors, I do enjoy it, not bad looking and stays in tune....I'll upgrade someday...

Edit: I also had an inexpensive Johnson Bouzouki, one of their better ones...8 strings, you could get a great drone from that instrument...sold it about that same time...

Last edited:
Well, back to the thread.

I recently bought a new, shorter slide to use on my left pinky. My other one was heavy and too big for a tenor guitar. I also bought a Slide Guitar book that I really don’t care for, but I’ll get what I can oughta it.

I’m following the instructions from the book, but, though I’ve learned some stuff, my progress seems to have slowed down. Maybe it’s just my old, withering brain though. Stand by for more excitement . . .

Last edited:
I was really close to getting a Blueridge a while back, but eventually ended up with this from Eastwood.

Yes, it looks very cool, but is heavier than a tuba!

It does everything from 50's jazz to swamp noises pretty well, you just have dress appropriately...

Eastwood Tenor.jpg

Well, Knows, it looks pretty cool. You might not have been happy with the Blueridge either. Mine seems HUGE compared to most of my other instruments. It’s a good thing I usually play seated.

Alas and alack . . . too bad we have to buy things from pictures now. Ahhh, well . . .

Last edited:
Huge doesn't bother me, I just love all kinds of instruments. I was 3/4 of the way to getting a Blueridge when my wife kind of stuck her nose in and came up with the Eastwood.

Although she never did get around to playing it much, it ended up being a really good purchase - for ME !!!!!

Bwhahahahaha (evil laughter)

Hey SteveZ, how are doin’ with your slide? I was doing pretty good with help from the internet, but then I got a book that’s slowing me down. I think I’ll wing it by ear for a while.

Last edited:
I’ve been trying open G (GDGD) on my TG recently and picked up a slide too. It’s been fun messing with it and I like that it’s easy to pop right back to GDAE. I’m liking having both tunings so easily accessible, just back a step off of those two high strings. Somehow this feels like it might lead to lusting after a resonator slide guitar.

Top Bottom