Tenor Guitar

Down Up Dick

Hi, bunny, I saw that GDGD somewhere else. I haven’t tried it yet, but maybe I will. I’m using DGBD now.

I wonder. Does the fret board hafta be flat for slide? Mine is slightly radius (radial?).

Last edited:

bunnyf

Darn, cut off again. Anyway, if I used dgbe as my primary tuning then dgbd would be my go-to open tuning too. How easy just dropping the high e. I’m currently liking the gdae tho, so for me gdgd makes sense. I too think that a radiused fretboard would be a minus for slide but I’m sure my cheapie Recording King TG doesn’t have one and with my lousy beginner technique, I’d never notice the difference.

Down Up Dick

Yeah, bunnyf I agree. I tried the slide with my Kala Guitar, and it made all kinda racket. I think the action was too low. It’s some better with my Blueridge, but it was still noisy and a bit difficult to use especially on the high notes. It is radial too.

Today I used it on my Kala Baritone Uke, and it sounded and felt waaay better. So I guess I’ll just work with the Baritone in DGBD and see how it works out. The KB’s fretboard is flat too.

The guy I’m following in Pinterest likes to use FCFC on his baritone Uke. Maybe I’ll try that too.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

bunnyf

I’m using a fairly thick-walled glass slide and it can be a little tinny on the high strings in the TG. I’m thinking of getting one of those temporary nut raisers. Maybe try the kind of bar-style slides and try it on my lap.

Down Up Dick

Yeah, I’ve seen them too. They look pretty easy to use. I also thought of one to make a cheap change from tenor guitar to Dobro. They use high strings too. I watched a guy do it on the internet.

I have two slides. When I first started I bought a big, clumsy one to use on my ring finger. Then just lately I got one that fits on my pinky and is exactly as wide as a tenor’s neck.

Boy! It just never stops does it . . .

Last edited:

Down Up Dick

Since I’m not using my Blueridge for slide, I’ve changed it’s tuning to CGBD, and I’m playing Plectrum music. I have a coupla books for tenor banjo. One is Scottish music, and one is classical music. Most of the chords are pretty easy, and I enjoy playing in CGBD.

barnstorm

Nice to see other folks here enjoying the tenor guitar. It's become my main instrument – in fact all my six-string guitars but one have gone.

Check out John Lawlor if you haven't before – fantastic player.