Tenor Guitar

Down Up Dick

Playin’ by ear with chords is comin’ along but slowly. Mostly my problem is with timing. I can easily play both the melody and the chords, but I have trouble knowing when to play the chords without having the music in front of me. I did fairly well today though.

Down Up Dick

Boy! Learnin’ new stuff when yer an old geezer is tough. I wonder if I had this much trouble when I was a boy.

I had a good session last night. The chords were falling into place so-so. I‘ve got some lyric sheets now to if they’ll help.

Down Up Dick

I worked on fingerpicking by ear with chords tonight with my baritone uke. It’s tuned the same as my tenor guitar — DGBD.

I’m beginning to learn where and when to use them pretty well, and, of course, it’s not as difficult as I thought it was gonna be. Lately, I find myself playing more and more by ear on some of my other string instruments. Maybe I’ll be able to give up sheet music. That would be great because I just can’t seem to make my fingers do what my eyes tell them to. My memory is not much help any more either.

If I can learn to play by ear as well as I whistle or sing, I‘ll be satisfied.

Last edited:

Down Up Dick

Played well by ear today — Ol’ Cowboy Tunes — with CHORDS!

I had a really good day today, with both my mandolin and my tenor guitar. I find myself, more and more, playing by ear. I just can’t seem to put my fingers where the written music tells me to. It must be an old guy thing.

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
I picked up the Circle Strings tenor guitar that was on here a couple months ago. I have it tuned D,G,B,E but am getting a little burned out on the tuning as I have other baritones , though in nylon, tuned Chicago

Was thinking on trying octave mandolin tuning G,D,A,E or reg. TG tuning. What steel strings are you using for yours Dick? I know Ry Cooder has a scale guage for TG strings so was thinking on ordering single string guages for both TG and mandolin tuning. Any suggestions?

Down Up Dick

Hi, Patrick, my Kala TG is tuned D G B D, and my Blueridge TG is tuned C G B D for Plectrum guitar tunes. I tuned it once before to G D A E and it sounded horrible. I read somewhere that sometimes that happens, and one has to fix it, but I don’t remember how.

I used D’Addario 42, 30, 20, 12 (11?) singles — I THINK! However, as I said before, they sounded awful. I still have a set of the afore mentioned ones, but I don’t know if I’ll try ‘em again. I’m happy with ‘em the way they are.