That hybrid guitar and ukulele instrument

Sporky

I hereby declare that this hybrid, short scale six stringed instrument will never gain the popularity or respect it deserves so long as it is given horrid names like guitarlele, guitalele and guilele.
I cringe in shame every time I have to use those words so that people understand what it is. It conjures up images of a lame half-baked mutant creature unfortunate enough to have inherited only the worst traits of its progenitors, such as a crippling lack of motivation, a total absence of passion or imagination.

People then proceed to be unimpressed and question spending so much money on one (even more so than they question spending so much money on an ukulele). Given those names, I can see why.

A baritone ukulele is not a tenor guitar, and a Kiku is not a guitarlele. In fact there is no such thing as a guitarlele, or guitalele, or guilele. I do declare!

I am open to other alternatives but I am happy to call this hybrid wonder Kiku.

Last edited:

ukulelekarcsi

Brüko had an 'Octavgitarre', which says precisely what it is: a guitar tuned a full octave higher. The name goes back to the 1960s, and was later picked up by Hopf as well. Before that, there were 1/4 or quarter size guitars. And after that, during the 1970s, Tacoma built something called a papoose guitar.

Marketeer and names, eh?

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
If a 20” scale is a size 5 guitar maybe a 17” could be called a size 6.

Jim Yates

How about requinto guitar?
"The requinto guitar is especially popular in Mexico and elsewhere in Latin America. In Mexico it is used in Trío romántico groups. A requinto guitar is a smaller version of a classical guitar that is tuned a fourth higher than a standard classical guitar, to A2-D3-G3-C4-E4-A4. They often, but not always, have a cutout to reach the higher frets."

Sporky

How about requinto guitar?
"The requinto guitar is especially popular in Mexico and elsewhere in Latin America. In Mexico it is used in Trío romántico groups. A requinto guitar is a smaller version of a classical guitar that is tuned a fourth higher than a standard classical guitar, to A2-D3-G3-C4-E4-A4. They often, but not always, have a cutout to reach the higher frets."
In some cases I agree - Romero Creations baritone 6-string nylon has to be a requinto, right? But I'm not sure if it's pushing it too far to call a 17in scale a requinto?

rafter

I am open to other alternatives but I am happy to call this hybrid wonder Kiku.

I'm also onboard with calling it a kiku.

But it has to catch on, which it hasn't enough yet. So I'm reduced to searching for guileles, guitaleles, and guitarleles.

Jim Hanks

Tempest in a tea cup?

I don't have a problem with guitalele (or the other variants of that).

I'm not sure I like "kiku" as that implies a particular tuning to me, namely that the bottom two strings are reentrant. But having said that I have referred to my 5-string as a "kiku" even though it only has one reentrant string. So #shrug

Peter Frary

The Spanish requinto is normally tuned A to A and has been around for a very long time, but is a wee bit larger than your typical baritone sized guilele. Jeff Linsky recorded a lot of jazz CDs on his Austrias requinto. During the 19th century the terz guitar—tuned G to G—was popular enough to have classical solos and duets written for it. I'm guessing Yamaha's use of the term "guitarlele" popularized the name, and the traditional names were largely unknown to the general public.

Sporky

I've made a lot of audio recordings but this is one my few videos of my "Guke." It's cute, sounds great but is a cramped with a 17" scale. I prefer the 20 inch or longer scale for comfort.

Wow, high production value and beautifully played. Thanks for sharing. Also nice shirt!

jer

I've made a lot of audio recordings but this is one my few videos of my "Guke." It's cute, sounds great but is a cramped with a 17" scale. I prefer the 20 inch or longer scale for comfort.

Wow. You make that instrument really sing. Very relaxing

Neil_O

My favorite other pastime is Pickleball. I end up calling it mini-tennis a lot when first discussing it with strangers. I feel less shame about the name when I let people know I hate it too!

Imagine if I played keytar and guilele too.

Last edited:

Poul Hansen

I have 2 Cordoba Mini Ms and they're just called travel guitars no matter if they're tuned as a ukulele or a guitar.

PS: I do recommend them .