The elusive sharpening unicorn

Jerryc41

Skimming the article will keep me from using a chisel constructively. I've never been a big user of chisels or planes (except for traveling). :)

BradDonaldson

Thanks for that Matt. I was a custom knife maker for some years before I got involved with lutherie. And I always used a buffing wheel to put the final edge on my knives, and continue to do so today with my chisels and finger plane blades. The buffing wheel is great for quick touch ups between full sharpening.

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Skimming the article will keep me from using a chisel constructively. I've never been a big user of chisels or planes (except for traveling). :)
The things I liked about it are it's a bit faster than a traditional sharpening method, and it claims it can help get the most out of an inexpensive chisel or plane, which is all of my chisels and planes!

And to Brad, you're welcome--it's the first I've heard of it. I've been meaning to get a set of buffing wheels to use on my lathe, and this just gives me more reason to do so.

Red Cliff

So just stropping then? A lot of turner's re-strop their turning chisels with a buffing wheel. But it is just a.form.id aggressive stropping.