The "I bought an Outdoor Uke" thread!

I'm #30, so I'm excited... but patient. [after all, what can I do? it is what it is. it will come when it comes.]

I think I ordered extra sets of strings by mistake... so I'll chalk it up to supporting the effort.

I hope, with all the UU string experimenters out there, we'll get a good idea as to which/what strings to put on our Outdoor Ukes. I'm looking for a mellower sound... but considering that I don't know what it will really sound like, here's hoping that it sounds better than just OK. I should be happy with that :)

keep uke'in',

I'm # 35, so maybe mine will have its birthday tomorrow, huh?

:drool: Looking forward to getting it!

If they really glued one together, slapped strings on it, and went to video - that wouldn't have been a good idea. :)

Gonna be interesting.

The best option would have been to transfer strings from an already tuned up ukulele to one of the production models. That would seriously have cut down on stretch time. Oh well, hopefully we see some cool videos soon!

Nope. They had a delay in receiving one part, and so the latest word was that shipping would be this week. Yesterday they briefly posted a video on Facebook, and said that they were assembling # 1 - 30 that afternoon. Then they removed the video and said they'd try again today.

As of now, the same info is on FB, but now there are many comments from eager ukers.

Last edited:
If they really glued one together, slapped strings on it, and went to video - that wouldn't have been a good idea. :)

Gonna be interesting.

That's pretty much what they did. I think they were just overly eager to share and didn't think it through.

(1) You haven't seen "strange" until you've read two or three threads involving an older gentleman who was banned last year. :D I do agree, though, that this is right up there.

(2) Yes, it is quite debilitating.

Now I'm curious too... lol

You are paying the price of being an "early adopter".
As someone who designs injection-molded plastic things I understand delays that are out of the control of any one person. It's a science that requires a lot of adjusting to get right. If the Outdoor Ukulele people are assembling first parts then they are almost "there". For the price you should expect some delays and unmet expectations on the first ones.

Hopefully by #308 all theses issues will have been solved :)

P.S. I waited ~6 months for my Mya-Moe and was still delighted when it was finished a couple days early...

Last edited:
You are paying the price of being an "early adopter".

I certainly don't mind being #108 on the list. My thoughts are everything will be a bit farther along the learning curve...

I was quite happy to see the update yesterday! Doing a video may have been a hasty choice, but I kind of appreciate that they were that enthusiastic to show people. I'm excited to see another video after the glue's dry and the strings are settled. My irritation was with the lack of communication, not the delay in general, so I'm pleased. Still gonna wait, but that's more Mainland's fault than theirs.

I was quite happy to see the update yesterday! Doing a video may have been a hasty choice, but I kind of appreciate that they were that enthusiastic to show people. I'm excited to see another video after the glue's dry and the strings are settled. My irritation was with the lack of communication, not the delay in general, so I'm pleased. Still gonna wait, but that's more Mainland's fault than theirs.

Uhhh... Mainland?

Top Bottom