The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This didn't make it in time for SOTU 500. Learning 3 songs from scratch for 3 different instruments is kind of a tall order!

Decided to cover this classic Beatles tune with no particular Season in mind except that I wanted to do it.

It's two days late, there are no ukuleles shown in the video (I lost that part in my recent move), and the lyrics might be construed as wishing that the Lord would "have" someone named "Mercy". Therefore this is put on the Island.

In my defense, I show you my new creative space, and I misspell her name twice in this late, unisted, pa-inspired 12bar blues on baritone piece

This is a belated Halloween cover song of "Time Warp" from "Rocky Horror Picture Show", for both Halloween and Dios de los Muertos. I'm wearing a Dios de los Muertos Hawaiian shirt for this occasion.

Happy Halloween, everybody!

I hope you like it, everybody. One more thing. This is my first posting on the Island of Misfit Seasonistas post. Enjoy.

Last edited:
November 11, 2021
Infantryman - John Wort Hannam
One of the most moving anti-war songs I know. I had trouble making it through without breaking down.
Written in Canadian, but translates to other countries. Sorry, but no uke content.

Last edited:
Here's one of the first songs I played with my Slingerland May Bell banjolele. This was an audition tape that The Maple Leaf Champions Jug Band made for a folk festival about a decade or so ago. I'm Satisfied With My Gal. Written by Peter DeRose & Jo Trent.
MLC@Harvest.jpg
Click here to hear the song -> I'm Satisfied With My Gal - MLC Jug Band

May Bell Slingerland Banjolele from Jimmy.jpgI am playing this Slingerland May Bell banjolele on this track, a gift from my friend Jim Bowskill, the guy playing the fiddle in the photo above. (Isn't that a cool last name for a fiddle player?) Jim's not on this track. That's me with the mandolin. This was taken at the Cobourg Harvest Festival before COVID.

Last edited:
Edwin's season on chemical elements somehow made me wanna share this video I made in 2019. It was a project that I initiated early that year, inspired by a Colors (magazine) issue on madness. We, Jon (Mountain Goat) and myself, and then Kevin (Kevin Griffin), made a number of videos inspired by interviews taken from that magazine, by mental hospital patients. This is one that Kev did. I made the video with ink.

It wasn't the battery, the cable nor the instrument itself - my amp just died before I got to the YEEAAAAHYEAAAAHHH part.

I, er, think I was living in outer space when I saw Steve's theme for 514. I caught him saying " that time of the year" and "seasonal songs"...but it did not cross my mind to think about hymns or Christmas carols at all.
I thought about the seasons, about change, since the year is coming to an end soon.

My friend introduced me to Big Thief last night and I heard ONE song from them and fell in love with it.
I recorded it with the intention to post it on 514, but after seeing Flatbaroque's moving performance of O Come, O Come, Emmanuel, it dawned on me that 514 is about Christmas songs...is it?
SO yah...I am sharing this here.

Happy new year, everybody!

Here's a non Season thang that's been a whole year in the making! I decided to take a photo everyday of 2021 to document a year in my life. Obviously that means a lot of mundane day to day stuff like work (and the journey to and from) and some days (or weeks) where I never left the house. Each 'day' is a mere 0.6 seconds long. It's amazing how multiplying something by 365 makes it huge! I worked out roughly how long the slide show would be and came up with a piece of music to fit (I almost got it right!)
It's an untitled piece with baritone ukulele, kalimba, harmonica and a whole bunch of Garageband stuff (drums, bass, keyboards galore etc...)
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this little snap shot of last year and I wish you all a happy and healthy 2022!
X

This was weird. Feeling nostalgic on a lazy Sunday afternoon, I decided to dig into the archives to see what songs I was doing this week 4, 8, 10, 13 years ago... And here on 16 January, 2014, I found in my archive a file called wind.mp4... This is the last day of Wind week! I don't remember the circumstances behind why I performed it, but it wasn't done for a season and has been set to private since it was uploaded 8 years agi=o...

I surprised myself this week by writing a song. I always thought that if I wrote a song it'd be at least a little bit silly, so I surprised myself even more when it turned out to be a bit personal and serious. So in an effort to make up for that, I thought I'd use up my entire other idea on something a little bit silly.

We really need to find some common ground, with the world as it is today. So while you may not agree with all the questions I'm asking here, I believe I have found one issue that unites all of humankind everywhere on the political spectrum, and I'm sure you can get behind it. Next time the elections come around, make sure you ask.

Don't worry, I've run out of ideas now.

My brother and I intended to record something together maybe for this weeks season yesterday (519). But Joko posted latish so we didn't get a chance to see a theme, I asked if he wanted to do anything for fun. He said he'd been working up a slide guitar version of a Gillian Welch song. So we did that. I figure I can post here as I have now posted something in the 519 theme. So here is a non week thing. Well maybe Val's week where you can do what you really want.

a song by Richard Hefner that I like which I did a cover of.
played with my new concert uke and some bit of melodica which did not sound very melodic.
featuring a few dog paintings I made....

Top Bottom