The Magic Fluke Company Appreciation thread

Which Magic Fluke Company instruments do you own?

• Total voters

tm3

Imagine someone who has ten of them - eight Flukes and two Fleas, plus a Firefly. Yes, I like them.

You all should start a MultiFluke club, or something!

I can see why they are popular. When I'm ready to upgrade the MF will surely be on the consideration list, although knowing me I would want koa with other bells and whistles which would put the Fluke into the higher end price point where the competition would be stiffer.

rps

Thanx Jerryc41....what is strange is the only review I can find is Baz's on Gotaukulele. I’ve asked on other threads and you and one other are the only ones who have replied....so it’s going to be a factory order based on their reputation and cult following as no one carries them near me in Canada. Thanx Rp

Last edited:

EDW

..I can see why they are popular. When I'm ready to upgrade the MF will surely be on the consideration list, although knowing me I would want koa with other bells and whistles which would put the Fluke into the higher end price point where the competition would be stiffer.

This koa flea sounds fantastic. While I understand what you say about stiffer competition, but certainly sound, balance and intonation are top notch

Jerryc41

Thanx Jerryc41....what is strange is the only review I can find is Baz's on Gotaukulele. I’ve asked on other threads and you and one other are the only ones who have replied....so it’s going to be a factory order based on their reputation and cult following as no one carries them near me in Canada. Thanx Rp

Look here -
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=magic+fluke+uke+review

https://www.google.com/search?q=mag...7j0i22i30l3.5455j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Maybe someone on this forum has one who lives nearby and would be willing to let you play theirs to test it out?

tm3

This koa flea sounds fantastic. While I understand what you say about stiffer competition, but certainly sound, balance and intonation are top notch

Yes I agree it sounds great, as did the one that I fondled last week!

I was real tempted to buy a MF as my "starter" uke but eventually decided that I didn't want to invest that much money right off the bat. In reading many online reviews and comments, the recurring theme seemed to be outstanding instruments at $200-300, but, optioned up into the $500 neighborhood they may not look as great compared to Martin, Pono, etc.

If I ever get to that point I'll have to try to see for myself.

Jerryc41

Whats the state of the art in rear facing geared tuners for Fleas/Flukes? Any new options out there? Many seem too long or wide, and need modding, like the Grover 9 geared tuners. I wish there was a drop in replacement, but not as expensive as the Stealth tuners.

Here's what I've done, aside from factory-installed PegHeds -

Tuners.jpg Tuners.jpg Tuners.jpg Tuners.jpgTuners.jpg

I many cases, you will have to enlarge the hole in the headstock. I try to avoid that, but Gotohs need a larger opening. You might have to trim the width from some tuning machines because they extend beyond the edge of the headstock. Lots of tuners have screw slots that extend beyond the headstock, so I don't use them. PegHeds are not a simple drop-in. The hole has to be tapped for the tuners - different direction on either side (I think).

Last edited:

kerneltime

UU VIP
I once widened the holes and installed Gotoh UPTL. Worked like a charm.
When ordering from them they also can install Gotoh UPTs so it should be possible to ship it to them for an upgrade.

M3Ukulele

I’m looking for fix for poly fretboard on Fluke. When I bend strings…..they ping on first and second string. Upon examination, I see a indentation on zero fret on these strings. When I bend the string pulls out and pings. I was skimming This thread and found a reference yesterdY but can’t find it today. Anybody know if sanding the indentation on zero fret will help. Of conversely, add glue and powder to even out the ridge. I’ve reached out to MFC….waiting for reply. I started another thread on topic and got a rep,y that MFC send out some rubber tubes to run string thru when in nut slot. Suggestions of pics of fixes? Thanks

ScooterD35

Two things for my fellow Magic Fluke aficionados…

For anyone that is also on Facebook, I invite you to come join the growing Magic Fluke Community group over there.

And… my main jamming buddy took delivery the other day on a tenor Koa Fluke with all the bells and whistles. Mi-Si pickup, PegHed tuners, side sound port and position markers, Grip Strips, and one of the most stunningly beautiful premium Koa tops I’ve ever seen on a Fluke. Here it is in the wild, alongside my Connecticut vintage Fluke with a standard Koa top.

F6012747-EE58-4FC1-BFD2-A0AEE1884B4E.jpeg

M3Ukulele

Ping fixed on Fluke. Phyllis sent me email promptly. Suggested putting a small rubber tube over string in slot to cover zero fret ( that is where grove is) or some kind of padding. I posted another thread where I show pics of a small piece of electrician tape under the string as it passes over zero into string/nut groves. Problem solved. Black electrician tape is not noticeable at all. I do have a spare poly fretboard but no need to change.

Here is my take after getting a Fluke 8 years ago. I would get wood fretboard with laminate soundboard and stock friction tuners From factory. I’d likely get Grover open back and replace immediately. I do like the pegheds I got and installed after the fact but with exchange in Canada , all the options really take the Fluke into a price range I’m not comfy with. I’d love all the bells and whistles with solid top but we get ha meted here.

As it sits now, my laminate with poly fretboard and pegheds and sounds good. I still will likely send it in for wooden fretboard when I have the extra cash. It’s not necessary as poly plays fine but I’d like the Uke better with wooden fretboard. I’d have to pay freight each way but since it was a Father’s Day gift, I’d likely invest.