The REAL Season 491 ...Baby, You Can Drive My Car!

I recorded 3 tonight while the football was on but it takes hours to get them from the camera to YouTube
here is the first, a limousine!

Jim Yates

Relax Your Mind - Huddie Ledbetter, 1949
Lead Belly gives a long spoken intro to this song (Look it upon YouTube.) but some of it is very hard to hear well enough to transcribe. Here's a little bit of it:
“A lot of people don’t know to relax, 'cause I used to didn’t relax, myself. I made this song just on account of the people driving cars. You can’t drive a car and look all across the road. You got to look down the road, the way you going. 'Cause that’s caused so much trouble now. So many people lost, that’s true. Not relaxing.”

Here are Woody Guthrie and Lead Belly (Huddie Ledbetter). I think I'll do a Woody song next.
Woody and Lead Belly.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Yates

Riding In My Car - Woody Guthrie

Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie sang this song to the actor portraying Woody in the movie Alice's Restaurant.
Pete & Arlo.jpg

Last edited:

LimousinLil

UU VIP
Good morning, dear Seasonistas! My apologies for the late start today .... I was up till midnight, watching a certain football match; boo hoo!!! Very many thanks to our overnight contributors ... I'll update the Playlist in a moment. Pa showed us some photos of his cars yesterday, which seemed a great idea in view of this week's theme and I wondered if anyone else might like to share pictures of their cars past and present/loved and hated. Whilst we don't want the week to develop into a car envy extravaganza, it WOULD add an extra dimension. There is nothing to be even remotely envied about our car - it's a workhorse; an old Peugeot estate (station wagon?) which we have had since almost new - but it gets us from A to B and carries a lot of "stuff," not to mention dogs and etc. OK, I shall go to the Playlist now ... please keep those songs coming today!

LimousinLil

UU VIP
Ooh, I would have loved to have a Ford Popular, Keith! (Any chance of luring you back for a song this week?)

and the third one recorded while the football was on - I have no interest in the game.

notice that I opened Jim's songbook at the letter L so the songs have started with the letter L or M :^)

I subsequently found out that my camera memory card was full hence losing the end of this recording for which you can be grateful.

Croaky Keith

I've not recorded anything in yonks - not very likely, I'm afraid - & YT will probably have changed everything since I last did anyway.... :eek:ld:

Marcsuke

SOTU 491 - "Mercury Blues" - Written by K.C. Douglas and Robert Geddins in 1948, the song has been recorded many times by artists including Steve Miller, David Lindley and Alan Jackson. I took the opportunity of an informal jam with friends to record this countrified version. Thanks to Gary (bass), Danny (acoustic guitar) and Gerald (electric baritone ukulele) for helping out.

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
For a car theme, I feel it would be wrong not to do a Bruce Springsteen song at some point. Here, Bruce is ready to hit the road with Mary, and mentions lots of car parts and even a car or two in the process.

On Baritone uke, with overdubs of a concert uke, a harmonica, and some bass on a keyboard. I was going to add a piano part but it's too hard so you'll have to add that yourself if you want it :).

(Incidentally, some of you may know a Prefab Sprout song about Bruce Springsteen's tendency to write songs abouts cars... I'm hoping someone will fancy having a go at it!)

Jim Yates

Highway 54 by Wayne Hancock

The group I play with on Sundays seems to have the idea that I love murder ballads. When I introduce a song, somebody will say, "I wonder how many people will die in this song." I guess they're right. I do have a few dozen murder ballads in my repertoire.
I probably should have done another take, but. . .

Jim Yates

Wreck On The Highway - Roy Acuff

This is not the type of song I'd usually do, I'm not a religious singer, but it fit the topic and Highway 54 brought it to my mind. Roy Acuff sang this song on The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's first Circle Album with Brother Oswald playing some really nice Dobro licks behind him. That album had a big effect on me.
I almost was tempted to correct his grammar, but. . .
My sister has said that I have to decide between correcting people's grammar and having friends. She gave me this coffee mug after hearing my rendition of You Aren't Anything But A Hound Dog.
grammar police 2.jpgGrammar police.jpg

Last edited:

hendulele

Check your fleas
Ry Cooder is a modern treasure. I'm not saying a lot of traditional American roots music would have disappeared from memory had he not revived it, but let's be grateful he did. Here's one from his "Get Rhythm' album.

homemade song for the season, it's about driving, and mentions wheels... four of those and a seat, and you're away! :rock:

"we drive"

i know val likes to play tenor guitar so i'm sneaking my tenor guitar onto the season!

pabrizzer

Ry Cooder is a modern treasure. I'm not saying a lot of traditional American roots music would have disappeared from memory had he not revived it, but let's be grateful he did. Here's one from his "Get Rhythm' album.

Ry didn't always get it right imho Rick....... i guess the driver has something to do with it.....paoriginal

we had a quite a few subarus - we travelled around Australia in this rig in 1988
IMG_20200331_155711.jpg
another of our subarus on fraser island (largest sand island in the world) - no roads - you drive on the beach or very soft sandy tracks
IMG20210712072806.jpg
we also had a renault 8 - what a fab little car - do we all remember polaroid cameras?
IMG20210712072539.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20210712072625.jpg
    IMG20210712072625.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

LimousinLil

UU VIP
Good morning/afternoon/evening, Friends! We are up to 23 videos and we have already unwrapped many facets of motoring lore .... not to mention some bloody crashes, courtesy of Jim! Today is the day of the Controle Technique - the roadworthiness test - so I may be slightly absent for a bit. Actually, I was absolutely astounded that these tests are not universal outside Europe ... I mean, isn't that DANGEROUS??? Please keep the songs coming and it would be great to see some more car photos ... thanks for yours, Pa! (And, yes ... I remember Polaroid cameras.)

Last edited:

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
Today is the day of the Controle Technique - the roadworthiness test - so I may be slightly absent for a bit. Actually, I was absolutely astounded that these tests are not universal outside Europe ... I mean, isn't that DANGEROUS???

Reminds me of the Michael Flanders line: "You know, they're bringing these tests in for five year old cars. They're thinking of brining it down to two years. They're even thinking of having them tested before they leave the factory." Good luck with it!

LimousinLil

UU VIP
Reminds me of the Michael Flanders line: "You know, they're bringing these tests in for five year old cars. They're thinking of brining it down to two years. They're even thinking of having them tested before they leave the factory." Good luck with it!

​Thanks, Edwin!