The thrill is gone - Gary Gill Ukuleles

Gary Gill

I have a turned a great hobby of building ukuleles into a regular job. Thanks to the great effort of Mim's Ukes, my ukuleles have gained popularity beyond my expectations.

Working from home in a two car garage has its limitations. Maintaining reasonable temperature and humidity is a constant challenge. The hand work of sanding continues to aggravate the arthritis in my hands. There are other factors as well. I certainly have not mastered the skill of ukulele building . I have reached a point where the thrill is gone.

Mim has maintained a list of people interested in purchasing my ukuleles. She has turned this list over to me. It is my intention to build ukuleles until I have fulfilled that list. Beyond that, I may build for my own enjoyment.

There are ten names on the list as of this writing. Anyone interested in purchasing a Gary Gill ukulele who isn't on the list may email me at uke.gill@gmail.com until the 31[SUP]st[/SUP] of January 2016 to be added. No guarantees that I will get to them all but, I will try. Thank you to all who have purchased one of my ukuleles and to all who have encouraged and supported me.

Jim Hanks

I've always heard the best way to ruin a good hobby is to start getting paid to do it. :p

Maybe it's time to get back to building for your own enjoyment now. Maybe take on an apprentice to help with the sanding or something. Or just take a little time off. Ukuleles are supposed to be fun. Some people have fun playing, some people have fun building. If you're no longer having fun building, well, what's the point?

Booli

I've always heard the best way to ruin a good hobby is to start getting paid to do it. :p

Maybe it's time to get back to building for your own enjoyment now. Maybe take on an apprentice to help with the sanding or something. Or just take a little time off. Ukuleles are supposed to be fun. Some people have fun playing, some people have fun building. If you're no longer having fun building, well, what's the point?

There's tons of wisdom in these words brother. :shaka:

Nickie

Mr. Gill, your ukuleles have become very popular in a very short time. My friend Jennifer has one, and it is her go to uke. You certainly made a big splash in an incredibly huge market.