thin neck

terrgy

Reaction score
I received a $100.00 gift certificate with Musicians Friend.
I am thinking of buying my wife a tenor within the $100. range.
I want her to have one with a not so thick neck, for easier fretting. She has really small hands.

Any suggestions please...?

Thanks

So . . . by "thin" you mean depth, correct -- thickness? (I'm asking because some people call a narrow neck "thin.")

I took a quick look at the tenors at Musicians Friend. At $100 under, I saw Diamond Head (I've never heard anything about them) and Kohala (I played one - eh - but I've heard people have had good ones). There's a Gretsch for $130 or so, and I really liked the one I played (and have a concert on order), but the neck is thick. However, I really like thin necks, but found the Gretsch to be fine. (I don't have small hands, however.)

Buying from Musicians Friend means you would get something that has not been inspected or set up. So my humble suggestion is that -- if it is possible for you -- to buy from a place that does inspect and set up (such as theukulelesite.com), where you also can ask questions. You would have to pay shipping from them. Shipping is less from Mim's Ukes and Uke Republic, where you also can ask questions.

That leaves $100 on the table with MF. Well, you could get a case from them, and a Snark or other tuner, and maybe a book. Oh, and some strings. That all could get you to $100, or very close.

As far as which brands sell low-cost tenors with thin or relatively thin necks: Islander, Kala, Ohana, Cordoba come to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

Here is a link to theukulelesite and tenors $39-$199 - http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/price/39-199.html?size=8

The other two places will have Ohana and maybe some other brands with tenors in your price range.

I took a quick look at the tenors at Musicians Friend. At $100 under, I saw Diamond Head (I've never heard anything about them) and Kohala (I played one - eh - but I've heard people have had good ones). There's a Gretsch for $130 or so, and I really liked the one I played (and have a concert on order), but the neck is thick. However, I really like thin necks, but found the Gretsch to be fine. (I don't have small hands, however.)

Buying from Musicians Friend means you would get something that has not been inspected or set up. So my humble suggestion is that -- if it is possible for you -- to buy from a place that does inspect and set up (such as theukulelesite.com), where you also can ask questions. You would have to pay shipping from them. Shipping is less from Mim's Ukes and Uke Republic, where you also can ask questions.

That leaves $100 on the table with MF. Well, you could get a case from them, and a Snark or other tuner, and maybe a book. Oh, and some strings. That all could get you to $100, or very close.

As far as which brands sell low-cost tenors with thin or relatively thin necks: Islander, Kala, Ohana, Cordoba come to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

Here is a link to theukulelesite and tenors $39-$199 - http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/price/39-199.html?size=8

The other two places will have Ohana and maybe some other brands with tenors in your price range.

Really ? forget about Costing ZERO dollars and Buy from the BIG THREE on this site.

Musician's friend may or may not inspect before they ship out but their return policy can not be beaten. When I bought a $40 uke they practically begged me to find something wrong with it and send it back for a replacement at their expense.

I have nothing against HMS I am sure they are everything they are said to be but that link of ukes from $39 - $199 had no ukuleles under 119.99 and that would not qualify for the free shipping that would be gotten from Musician's Friend.

I am amazed (putting it as nicely as I can) at the people who only find three dealers who are worth purchasing from on this forum.

Really ? forget about Costing ZERO dollars and Buy from the BIG THREE on this site.

Musician's friend may or may not inspect before they ship out but their return policy can not be beaten. When I bought a $40 uke they practically begged me to find something wrong with it and send it back for a replacement at their expense.

I have nothing against HMS I am sure they are everything they are said to be but that link of ukes from $39 - $199 had no ukuleles under 119.99 and that would not qualify for the free shipping that would be gotten from Musician's Friend.

I am amazed (putting it as nicely as I can) at the people who only find three dealers who are worth purchasing from on this forum.

I gave my ideas. VegasGeorge gave his. Let the OP decide. There's no need to insult someone else's input.

I gave my ideas. VegasGeorge gave his. Let the OP decide. There's no need to insult someone else's input.
DaveY, I am sorry if you are insulted. I don't see where I was insulting to you or anyone but that does not mean I wasn't.

I have often felt like reading these forums was like being inside a commercial and I am sorry it was your post that made me respond. It has been coming for a while but there is no reason why it was you that triggered it.

I am truely sorry.

When you ordered from Musician's friend did they also send you a follow up e-mail asking you if you were satisfied when it arrived. They not only did for me but they sent another one a few weeks later.

Did they (MF) offer to make you whole in your purchase ? I have heard from people who have sent back three in a row Ibenez ukes because they did have a problem with slightly warped necks. Each time they got a replacement until they finally found one with a straight neck they continued to send it back at MF's expense.

I have dealt with one of the highly recommended dealers mentioned above, my experience was not good. My phone calls (three of them) were not returned and, the uke and the case that was included were damaged. I would rather not mention which dealer by name I have put the issue behind me. The Uke that had supposedly been set up had a crooked nut, and the case had large scratches.

My ukulele experience with generic retailers is the same as Jagadeesh's. In Germany (as in most of Europe), I can return anything I buy online within fourteen days of the purchase, without needing a reason. The seller even has to pay the return shipping, and the only requirement is that the wear doesn't exceed what is reasonable for two weeks. And still, I would (and do) now always buy from a specialized, reputable place, even if it may be a little more expensive or take a few days. Returning stuff, especially via post, is tedious and takes time, even if it may not actually cost money.

To me, buying from places like HMS, Mim, and the Uke Republic, seems like a win-win situation. Not only do they offer a very wide selection, can be called up or written to for individualized advice, and have an immense amount of personal experience with numerous instruments, they also include the set-up for free so that the risk of wasting money (or time) gets minimized. That may be different if you go to the store yourself and have the experience (as well as the opportunity) to try out the exact same instrument you are buying. But how many stores will let you go through different instruments, tune them all up, check the intonation, try the action, and so on, I don't know. (Not to mention that if you want something higher-end or more specific, like a thin neck, the local stores may simply not carry it.)

As for the "commercial" bit: I'm not a customer of those places, but I have bought my ukuleles (except the first two, both of which were not what they could have been) from European sellers who offer the same service and peace of mind.

I've decided to buy a guitar stool, a harmonica, and a tuner, from MF with my $100.00 gift certificate. Quite leery of buying a ukulele from a retailer like MF. I've purchased three ukes from Mim, and am extremely pleased. I like how she "sets up" the uke. When you received one of her ukes, you can believe it's ready set go. Also, I discussed this with my wife, and whispered to me she has no interest in learning ukulele. She'll stick to piano and cheer me on.

So, even though the original thread got a little off track, I appreciate your input. It actually helped me with my decision.

Terry

KoAlohas have thin necks, for when you want a Uke again.

Appreciate that off-track threads get bumps and eyeballs. 👽

Top Bottom