Thoughts on free living?!

Theblackegg

Reaction score
Long story short I’m converting a box trailer to live in. With the variable temperatures in UK and my love for solid body ukuleles other than the obvious, hardcases, cabinet, humidifiers etc heating will be minimal and considered about the longevity of my wooden off spring.

Anyone live in a similar situation and learnt any tips and tricks along the way for a minimal, stoic lifestyle whilst keeping their beloveds safe at least to the end of our natural lives? 🤷‍♂️

I spent 2005-2017 living in a narrowboat, so I have some experience of ukuleles and being a traveller.

Ukuleles are much less fragile than you think they are. A decent hard case is all you need in the UK, unless the uke is made with hide glue in which case you need to be careful in the summer. It is not unheard of for ukes to come apart in their cases if they get too hot. Happened to me with a Harmony I bought from a certain auction site once.

Most people that are converting vehicles to live in don't realise that the biggest problem is keeping things cool in the summer rather than warm in the winter.

Oh yeah, and make sure there's enough airflow. It could save your life if you have a burner or cooking appliance in the vehicle and it stops things going mouldy.

Other than that, happy adventures! It's a great life if you go into it for the right reasons, but don't think you'll want to do it forever, Or even that it's free living.

Last edited:
I concur that the heat is the worst enemy. Low humidity is normally not a problem, you'll probably have high humidity, which is less a problem(at least for instruments)
A gigbag or case is good as you then avoid sudden temp changes.

You can also have a space somewhere on the floor, without insulation to the bottom but insulated against your living space. That will give you the lowest temperature(under the trailer) when hot outside.

I had a ukulele with solid top, in a 65C car with no problems. I don't now if the 100 year old mandolin I just bought at a fleamarket had a slight crack beforehand but there was a noticeable crack when I took it out at home.

You will save the rent etc., so can afford a new ukulele, should the worst happen. Consider it a cost of living, just like you think of rent, utility etc. now.

I lived on boats for 25 years with solid top guitars on board without issues. As a previous poster said: ventilation is the key...

Appreciates the comments, and agree with the ‘living free’ comment. My partner lives in a converted horse box and it is anything but, nothing more than a provocative title. Appreciate the comments and shared experiences.

I have only one built with hide glue, one inbuilt myself, I do love it but being a baritone (tenor player) It wouldn’t be the end of the world, especially as they seem easy enough to repair in the right set of weathered Mits.

Cheers dude and dudett 🤙

Betty the baritone name after my departed grandmother

Attachments

• 16B1FA07-73E2-4DBC-A925-4ACEDF1308DD.jpeg
    16B1FA07-73E2-4DBC-A925-4ACEDF1308DD.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 30
I spent a few minutes staring at Betty wondering if I was looking at a really deep cutaway or it was an optical illusion caused by the strap. I'm thinking latter...

Long periods of low temperatures with low humidity is very hard on solid wood instruments. The wood dries out and shrinks. Causing fret sprout and splits along the seams of the top and the back. And in extreme cases at the base seam for the sides.

High heat can cause some of the adhesives to get soft and bubble up in the seams. ( I had that happen in shipping. Where the uke was kept over a weekend in a non-climate control warehouse/shipping container. The outside temp was 90°F (32°C) so the warehouse had to be much hotter. )

So the upshot is, try to minimize extremes in temperature and humidity. Especially rapid changes of both. I'm afraid your trailer(s) will have both. Especially if sitting in the sun during the summer. And the cold of winter exposure. Even if kept in their cases.

Best of luck.

I spent a few minutes staring at Betty wondering if I was looking at a really deep cutaway or it was an optical illusion caused by the strap. I'm thinking latter...
Haha, no it’s a cutaway! Inspired by Kaleis custom kamaka! Deep florentine cut! Love ‘em 🤙

I would definitely paint the container white with good insulation and an air conditioner.
Got any pics?

I'd love to do this as well. I'll probably get solar panels and modify a treadmill to generate electricity.

Top Bottom