Tie bar part to prevent the strings from making grooves

ro_sims

Reaction score
Hi, anyone knows how they call that part of the tie bar which prevent the strings from making grooves in the wood of the tie bar. I attached a picture, see red arrow, many thanks

Attachments

• ty.jpg
    ty.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 36
unnecessary decoration

Excellent question. I do not know the answer. I would call the assembly a decorated tie bridge.

The decoration could actually have a use if it has enough hardness to stop the string damaging the wooden parts of the tie bridge.
In fact it is no decoration. The use of it is to prevent the strings from damaging the wood of tie bar

unnecessary decoration
That’s what my immediate reaction was too. As a bonus though I’m now mentally questioning whether a hard and sharp edge might possibly damage strings. I fitted a bridge with such decoration (that was all that was available at the time) and now have a mental note to add a very small chamfer to the - potentially damaging - edges when the strings are next changed. The trims looks pretty but IMHO they have little practical value on a Uke; perhaps the fancy edges are a carry over from Guitars, with their more cutting strings. On a Uke the strings seem to just deform the wood a tiny bit to form a good seating for them, well that’s my experience but YMMV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom