Tinnitus scare

This is such a coincidence Pete because I too have blamed part of my tinnitus and hearing loss on seeing the very same group! Blue Cheer played very loud and I was stage front and center. My ears rang for weeks. Louder even than Spinal Tap who everybody knows is Britain's loudest rock band.

Yes , I think their amps went up to 12 or 13 . Those were the days .

I think that I have tinnitus, because I have a ringing in my ears all of the time. I also thought though that my hearing was bad. I went to the VA last summer and convinced them that because I worked on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier and was a helicopter crewman way back in the late sixties that it was service related. I had heard that, like Dick was saying, that they could use a frequency in the hearing aids to cancel it out. I went through a whole battery of tests and it came back that my hearing was fine. Not great, but good enough that I don't need hearing aids. They also said that I probably do have tinnitus, but that it too is not bad enough to do anything.

So I guess I'm lucky in a way. It could be worse. It does not keep me up at night. And after I went through all of the tests and everything and got a medical prognosis instead of just listening to all of my know-it-all friends at the coffee shop tell me what was wrong with me, I immediately felt like I could hear better and that my tinnitus didn't bother me as much. Funny how it works like that.

Last edited:
This may be of interest. I was able to play a tone generator and able to replicate the three tone ringing I hear. 8,124hz, 4,052hz, and 9,122hz. It took a while to get it as close as I did. I opened three frequency generator windows simultaneously. I think having it on one side only helped me to find the correct frequencies. Anyway, when I turned them off . . . et voila! it was gone! It was so quiet! Lasted for a minute or so. Later found out it is a technique called "masking" I guess that is what someone on this thread mentioned in regards to their hearing aid.

You guys should try it. Hopefully, fun and not frustrating.

I'm in the group as well.

Once while standing at the register in a package store, someone opened a back door and set off the screechy tone alarm. I looked at my daughter and said, "You hear that alarm? Yet you still hear me talking and the sounds up here. But the background sound remains. THAT's what it's like in my head all the time." She understood completely.

I understand that if you go completely deaf, the ringing remains. Yeah, really looking forward to that.

Anngrante, I hope you have sought professional help, and I hope you had a better response than I did. I was told there is nothing that will help get rid of it. The audiologist only wanted to talk about self-help techniques for coping with tinnitus. I was used to coping with it (by then, I'd had it for forty years). I was hoping there might be some modern blanking or masking technology that could help.

I've now lived the last 58 years with loud tinnitus in both ears. I've learned to ignore it, but when I think about it, it becomes really troublesome. The only time it bothers me, now, is if I can't get to sleep. Then it's as though the noise in my head is the cause of the sleeplessness - but it isn't.

It must be really worrying for a professional musician. May you find a way to deal/cope with this affliction.

Many years ago I asked my doctor if there was something he could do to get rid of the high pitched squeal in my ears. He laughed and told me to get used to it. He'd had it for 20 years and had learned to live with it.
In my case I think it was caused by an overindulgence in Deep Purple, Santana, Led Zeppelin, Iron Butterfly..........
Miguel

Had it for about ten years now. The result of the medication I am on. Hiss and ringing at a few frequencies. The odd time I forgot to take the little pill I found it goes away, that is when I know I really messed up.

I have hearing aids that have a tinnitus cancelling feature. Sorta works... Mine is from damage from Rock music. It was fun at the time, but the piper must be paid after all.

Odd, isn't it? We instinctively know not to stare at the Sun, or at other sources of very bright light, knowing it would damage our eyesight, but we don't show our hearing the same respect.

Remind the young folks to wear their hearing protection. I've had tinnitus since 2011. Saw a ton of concerts as a young man.

Lately I have ringing in my ears I think my earpods caused that I'm so afraid to loose my hearing or I supposed to wear ear aids
Do you have some advices? What kind of audiological evaluation should I get
Go to your doctor and get a professional diagnosis. It may be other things other that tinnitus, like compacted wax, but the earlier you get it checked out the better.

If it is tinnitus there is no cure as they are not really sure what causes the ringing as it is frequently not due to damage in the ear itself. Do not believe all the snake oil cures on social media. I have had it 20 years now and learned to live with it. Distraction works best, If you are busy doing something you like, like building guitars , it sort of goes into the background and you are not as aware of it.

A could of years ago suffered a large hearing loss. After about 4 months I went to doctor. She couldn't see my ear drum and after a bit of gentle prodding around excavated from my ear an 'ear bud' from an iPhone.... never go to bed with ear bud type headphones is all I can say!

If I was scared of tinnitus, I'd be terrified all the time!

As others have said... true tinnitus is permanent. It doesn't go away, it doesn't get better, it can only get worse! Protect your hearing!

I first noticed mine when I was around 30 a couple years after I got out of the AF. Worked around loud equipment for 8 years in the AF, did my share of loud rock concerts, had a car muffler blow up when a car backfired in my garage that did something to my left ear. (I can't hear crickets chirping with my left ear! Complete silence at that frequency.) I knew I had tinnitus, but didn't think much about it.

Then I drove a convertible with the top down 95% of the time for about 10 years. Did you know wind noise is another thing that can cause hearing loss and tinnitus? Yup.

Eventually, I really started getting annoyed with it and researched. There's really nothing you can do. There are "noise therapies" that can trick your brain into ignoring it somewhat. Just distracting yourself from it does the same thing. I really only notice it when I'm sitting in a quiet room and think about it. It is what it is.

BUT, I now wear foam earplugs for anything and EVERYTHING. If I'm firing up a power tool, vacuuming the carpet, going to see a movie (movies are freakin' LOUD these days!) or a concert, riding in a convertible with the top down, absolutely anything that's loud... the earplugs go in.

Oddly enough, wearing earplugs makes my PERCEPTION of tinnitus much worse. No outside noise just makes the ringing seem louder. But, at least I know I'm not risking making it any worse by exposing myself to loud noise. When I was younger, wearing hearing protection was usually too inconvenient... can't tell young people anything!

I never realized that I had it until I heard someone describe it. It occurred to me then that I had been hearing it for years and just took it for granted. It could possibly be from racing motorcycles, or maybe the loud rock bands I played with, or even two years on the signal bridge of an aircraft carrier (USS Midway)??
I mentioned it to my "Audiologist" and she added some "white noise" to my hearing aids. Doesn't seem to help, I still hear the tinnitus plus the white noise! Oh well, most of the time I don't pay any attention to it...

Hoo-boy.

I've been a self-accalaimed "Stereophile" since I could wire things together. I was always the guy standing in front of the PA. At first, the 'crickets' put me to sleep but then it dawned on me that there are no crickets when there is snow on the ground. That was about 1980-85. The damage was already done. <edit>I forgot to mention 30+ years data-center computer and A/C fans screaming non-stop.

Today's triggers:

1. Caffeine*. I drink coffe until about 3:00 pm each day.

2. (embarrassed) I do enjoy happy-hour*.

3. Tension*. Hard to describe, but it happens often enough to know the correlation.

(*Foam plugs don't work.)

All cause ringing, but so does running the tractor, mowing, things that go 'bang!', motorcycle riding, any 'rock' or even 'country' concert, listening to any 'pop' or 'country' radio (even at very low levels), and grandkids gymnasium sports.

The non-stop distortion of "pop" and "country" radio is the worst. I immediately turn it off.

For public events (even those I present) I find a napkin, tear off a good chunk, and make a spit-wad to put in my ears.

Works great - never fails. It's even adjustable!

Foam plugs work great for public events, but you gotta have them with you; thus napkins. On constant alert.

Last edited:
Top Bottom